Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Please help: aging eyes, prescription lens pistol shooting glasses

Thanks so much, very helpful.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWInPA View Post
    Thanks so much, very helpful.
    You can get bifocals with the close part on the top instead of the bottom. I know at least 3 pretty good shooters who use them.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Bucks County)

Try finding an eye doctor who is a pistol shooter and wears corrective lenses. Sometimes they have to have the problem to appreciate the problem and find the answers.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Get a 1911, or, better yet, join the US military and learn point shooting. Even the prophet, John Moses Browning knew, point shooting is faster and better than silly sight acquisition. I learned point shooting and I am 62 now and can still hit a thrown beer bottle/spray paint can FROM THE HOLSTER!
    Video or it didn't happen

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Get a 1911, or, better yet, join the US military and learn point shooting. Even the prophet, John Moses Browning knew, point shooting is faster and better than silly sight acquisition. I learned point shooting and I am 62 now and can still hit a thrown beer bottle/spray paint can FROM THE HOLSTER!
    People knock point shooting but a lot of the HSLD folks talk about almost never acquiring a clean sight picture. At pistol competitions I almost never have a sight picture, I simply line up the back plate or hammer to what I want to shoot and, as the legendary Todd Howard once said, it just works as long as you have solid fundamentals.

I don't shoot from the holster but in a life or death situation I wouldn't hesitate to in an effort to get the first shot off.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

(Bucks County)

You've all given some great information here. Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

I used to do the tilt back, then I had a pair of glasses made with the reading prescription at the top. It worked, but I needed to switch glasses just to shoot.
    I read an article about sight picture and tried the regular glasses which gave a fuzzy front sight. But it was not too bad, groups did not get worse. So forget the special glasses, learn to use the sight picture. Unless you are doing very high precision shooting stay with your normal glasses, if a defense condition arises, you will be ready.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I used to do the tilt back, then I had a pair of glasses made with the reading prescription at the top. It worked, but I needed to switch glasses just to shoot.
    I read an article about sight picture and tried the regular glasses which gave a fuzzy front sight. But it was not too bad, groups did not get worse. So forget the special glasses, learn to use the sight picture. Unless you are doing very high precision shooting stay with your normal glasses, if a defense condition arises, you will be ready.
    The OP specifically mentioned USPSA shooting.

(Westmoreland County)

https://eagleeyeshooting.com/

Bifocal in the top edge of eyeglasses.

(Franklin County)

Ive been wearing progressive bifocals for four years now. I don't shoot competitively but I really struggled with pistol shooting for a couple of years. Like most I've constantly heard "focus on front sight" over and over. It wasn't until I let that go that I was able to shoot again. I now focus on the target. It takes some practice and it feels weird for awhile but then it gets better and I don't have to tilt my head all around at funny angles. Anyway, it works for me.
    Ive also become pretty fond of red dots and lasers for defensive work.
    The Hostler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast