Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default AR15 Trigger Pins

Does it matter?
    I see pins with one notch, two notches, two notches closer to one side of the pin... And I see them with no notches.

I'm working on my oly arms pistol and the rear pin was broken in half. I just want to buy the wrong pin and have something
    bad happen. If thats even possible.

Default Re: AR15 Trigger Pins

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Does it matter?
    I see pins with one notch, two notches, two notches closer to one side of the pin... And I see them with no notches.

I'm working on my oly arms pistol and the rear pin was broken in half. I just want to buy the wrong pin and have something
    bad happen. If thats even possible.
    No difference in most pins I've ran across, the notches just add a little tension to keep the pins from walking out by the spring legs. Just make sure you
    get the correct diameter pins and you're GTG

I guess some pins are custom to their location (hammer pin with center notch, trigger pin with side notch) but most in LPKs these days are notched in both center and edge so they can be used in either location.
    SigGendered

(Delaware County)

The hammer pin has a notch in the center for the J spring in the hammer and the trigger pin has a notch near the end for the hammer spring leg to sit in. This is intended to keep the pins from walking out.

In 3gun, everything breaks.

I install anti-walk pins in my ARs.

Cheap insurance for $12. And no notches.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    In 3gun, everything breaks.

I install anti-walk pins in my ARs.

Cheap insurance for $12. And no notches.
    I saw them on brownells. I think I'm gong to grab them.

(Bucks County)

Assuming the parts are not off specification, standard pins are fine. The pins are captured by spring tension. The anti walk pins are ugly and not needed.
    If your trigger pin broke, it could be a defective pin- but it could also be a sign that your gun is not functioning correctly.

When the bolt group cycles, the carrier strikes the hammer. If the carrier is moving too fast, it is an indication that the gun is unlocking too soon which causes issues. One of those issues is breaking trigger pins.
    You can often feel it in the trigger when the gun fires. It will actually sting your trigger finger.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    Assuming the parts are not off specification, standard pins are fine. The pins are captured by spring tension. The anti walk pins are ugly and not needed.
    If your trigger pin broke, it could be a defective pin- but it could also be a sign that your gun is not functioning correctly.

When the bolt group cycles, the carrier strikes the hammer. If the carrier is moving too fast, it is an indication that the gun is unlocking too soon which causes issues. One of those issues is breaking trigger pins.
    You can often feel it in the trigger when the gun fires. It will actually sting your trigger finger.
    I think the reason it went full auto is because the pin was broken. I used to bumpfire it a lot,
    back in the day, I'm sure that tore the trigger up a bit. I just ordered some anti walk pins.
    They were only a couple bucks more than normal ones.

(Bucks County)

They will double and triple if the trigger pin breaks. Absent function problems and pain in your trigger finger and present lots of bumping, it's probably just a broken pin.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Washington County)

I install anti-walk pins in everything. Best deal to be found was on gunbroker. Some guy sells them cheap in quantities of 10 or something.

There is a school of thought that says anti-walk pins are good but the ones that also serve an anti-rotation function are bad, since the pin should be allowed to rotate. I guess I subscribe to that, but I won't call it my hill to die on or anything.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I install anti-walk pins in everything. Best deal to be found was on gunbroker. Some guy sells them cheap in quantities of 10 or something.

There is a school of thought that says anti-walk pins are good but the ones that also serve an anti-rotation function are bad, since the pin should be allowed to rotate. I guess I subscribe to that, but I won't call it my hill to die on or anything.
    I have both types. Nothing to report.