Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: .357/.38 Leverguns

I've been looking for a rifle in .44 mag and believe I'll just get a Henry with a side gate.
    I fondled a Rossi but the top eject makes scope mounting difficult if it can even be done.

Looked at a couple single shots and did consider .357 but I have a pretty fair stash of .44 brass, a K of 240 gr projectiles and powder

I'm heading to the Great American Outdoor show in a few weeks.
    I'll probably win one there. Ha.

OR, I'll see if I can order one.
    Henry makes 3 different levers. I'm leaning toward the middle large loop.
    Last edited by 27hand; January 26th, 2022 at 10:30 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Jefferson County)

There is(or was) a .44Mag Marlin 1894 at "the gun guy" between DuBois and Brockway US219. $700

It doesn't look absolutely perfect, but in decent shape from the pics.

https://gunguypa.com/product/used-ma...-action-rifle/

If really interested, I'd give him a call before the long drive. (814) 603-3235

He's a member on PAFOA also, does a bit of gun show scheduling. https://forum.pafoa.org/member.php?u=88372
    Last edited by knight0334; January 27th, 2022 at 10:59 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I've been looking for a rifle in .44 mag and believe I'll just get a Henry with a side gate.
    I fondled a Rossi but the top eject makes scope mounting difficult if it can even be done.

Looked at a couple single shots and did consider .357 but I have a pretty fair stash of .44 brass, a K of 240 gr projectiles and powder

I'm heading to the Great American Outdoor show in a few weeks.
    I'll probably win one there. Ha.

OR, I'll see if I can order one.
    Henry makes 3 different levers. I'm leaning toward the middle large loop.
    Would be a great setup.

(Franklin County)

The Rossi Puma I believe is made in .38 and .44 mag. I only know as I was casually looking, and they are about the only option you can find under $800.

(Lancaster County)

I have been looking at all the fun shows, not many out in the wild. I have been toying with getting out of the .41 Magnum game and consolidating to 357 with the wheel and lever guns. the Taurus 357 thunderbolt pump gun looks like a lot of fun !

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    I have been looking at all the fun shows, not many out in the wild. I have been toying with getting out of the .41 Magnum game and consolidating to 357 with the wheel and lever guns. the Taurus 357 thunderbolt pump gun looks like a lot of fun !
    Don't bother with the Thunderbolt. They are notoriously unreliable. They're based on the Colt Lightning, which was also unreliable. Taurus just made them worse. Much worse.

(Mercer County)

I have a thunderbolt in 45lc, works ok, you have to operate pump like you mean it and make sure you give it full stroke. An interesting fun gun, not something I would use for home defense or if life was on the line. I really hope Ruger / Marlin comes out with the 1894 in 357 with a pistol grip. Marlin did make a 1894fg in 41 mag. The 1894pg was 44mag. I have a Rossi 92 in 44mag, from the factory it was 18 inches high at 25 yards so had to replace the front sight within a much higher one. Still looking for a 1873 Winchester or clone in 357, have yet to see one in person

(Allegheny County)

God bless our dearly departed Frenchy.
    I think of him any time a Marlin 1894C is discussed.
    When I first started looking for a lever gun, I was having little luck finding something affordable. (and this was LONG ago before the prices got crazy)

He offered to let me take a look at one he may be willing to sell me.
    After shooting it, he said "You can have it for what I paid for it."
    He proceeded to tell me that he was going to restore it and replace some buggered up parts, but never got around to it.
    Then he told me what he paid for it.
    If I told you (I don't think I've ever disclosed what I paid to anyone), you'd probably call the authorities to report a theft.

That said, I never did anything further to it - it works - and I like the imperfections.
    After he passed away, I think about him when I shoot it and I'm glad I left it the way it was when I bought it from him.

I love it.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    God bless our dearly departed Frenchy.
    I think of him any time a Marlin 1894C is discussed.
    When I first started looking for a lever gun, I was having little luck finding something affordable. (and this was LONG ago before the prices got crazy)

He offered to let me take a look at one he may be willing to sell me.
    After shooting it, he said "You can have it for what I paid for it."
    He proceeded to tell me that he was going to restore it and replace some buggered up parts, but never got around to it.
    Then he told me what he paid for it.
    If I told you (I don't think I've ever disclosed what I paid to anyone), you'd probably call the authorities to report a theft.

That said, I never did anything further to it - it works - and I like the imperfections.
    After he passed away, I think about him when I shoot it and I'm glad I left it the way it was when I bought it from him.

I love it.

Cool story, and great looking gun. What caliber is it?

(Delaware County)

In 1980, I bought an M1 Carbine from a big rack of them at the Woolworth's in Oxford Valley Mall. I was young and stupid and had no idea what to look for in a carbine, so I bought the one with the nicest wood. That rifle was worn so bad* it was a fun gun though and I enjoyed it. Then in 1999 I bought my first AR. It wasn*t long before I knew I*d never shoot the Carbine again, so in 2001 I traded it straight up for a brand new 1894C at Miller's down in Delaware. I can*t recall ever making a better move. The 1894C leaps to the shoulder, it points like a finger and cheap cast bullet ammunition falls out of my SDB at 400 an hour. It is mild enough to shoot all day and powerful enough to know you have a center fire on your shoulder. It will be one of the rifles I die with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast