Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Pics denial a year ago...

A little over a year or so I got denied a gun purchase. Long story short I was dumb founded. Filled out the challenge form...they sent a form back to ask a couple questions and sent that back. They sent back a letter confirming warrant for unpaid fine. Which I thought my exwife took care of in 2014...boy did I get screwed. Anyway I took care of that immediately and heard nothing back at all since. My criminal history is clean. My buddy in law enforcement said I have nothing on me and a friend of mine that works in a gun store said I should be good to go if I heard nothing else. In the states eyes I lied on the form "technically" but my buddy said when they review cases they no if someone is typically trying to pull a fast one. In the past 3 years I have made 2 gun purchases and ltcf. Am I good to go?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pics denial a year ago...

Did the fine, termed unpaid fine in the warrant, take the place of imprisonment for more than a year as imposed by a judge hearing the matter? If not, and the matter for which you were fined is not a matter that would keep you from having a firearm, you should be OK.

The turn-down was based on the existence of a warrant for the unpaid fine. Check to see that the warrant is withdrawn or no longer active/valid and no longer in affect. See if you can find out how NICS researchers would be notified of that withdrawal. If the NICS people have only a record that is not updated, you might be denied again...or worse.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Philadelphia County)

Fine was paid immediately and warrant was withdrawn immediately. Record is clean since then. I just don't understand why after sending all the information in I never got a reply back if I was good to go or not. I was told that they were so overwhelmed by miniscule denials that some things do not get pursued further. Pics denies or approves due to records. They don't keep tabs how many times you been approved or denied. I find that hard to believe but heck worse that could happen is I get denied I challenge again.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by donuts99 View Post
    ... worse that could happen is I get denied I challenge again.
    Someone with more legal knowledge than me will be along to disabuse you of this notion...

My 2˘
    IANAL
    YMMV
    etc...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by donuts99 View Post
    Fine was paid immediately and warrant was withdrawn immediately. Record is clean since then. I just don't understand why after sending all the information in I never got a reply back if I was good to go or not. I was told that they were so overwhelmed by miniscule denials that some things do not get pursued further. Pics denies or approves due to records. They don't keep tabs how many times you been approved or denied. I find that hard to believe but heck worse that could happen is I get denied I challenge again.
    First thing, two posts in 12 years and both worthwhile posts. Points for that.

Second, the current PA government isn't in the business to help people buy guns, so they will sit on your info as long as legally allowed and then some, especially if it's in your favor.

Advice - hire a respected 2A lawyer and get them to straightened this out for you. There's a few on this board.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    First thing, two posts in 12 years and both worthwhile posts. Points for that.

Second, the current PA government isn't in the business to help people buy guns, so they will sit on your info as long as legally allowed and then some, especially if it's in your favor.

Advice - hire a respected 2A lawyer and get them to straightened this out for you. There's a few on this board.
    Hate to say it, but he is right.

You can also get a pics ID number, of you have a common name and get mistaken for criminals. Doesn*t sound like this is your situation, but just so you know.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Cumberland County)

Unless you are 100% certain there are no prohibited blemishes I wouldn’t try again. 4473 is not a credit application. It’s not a “worst thing they can do is deny me”. Talk to a 2a lawyer and pay the $$ to him so he can pull out all the stops and provide you with confidence you are okay to purchase firearm. Hope everything works out for you
    “The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions” -Confucius

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Phynixdaybreak View Post
    Talk to a 2a lawyer and pay the $$ to him so he can pull out all the stops and provide you with confidence you are okay to purchase firearm.
    2 things about this advice....

First, if you go through these steps to document that you can't find any reason you would be a prohibited person and document that you searched in all reasonable places, if you still get rejected and charged with false statements you have a very good defense in court to show that you filled out the PICS application in good faith and reasonably believed you were in the clear.

Second, does anyone know what the legal fees to a 2A layer would be to do a proper pre screening? I can't imagine it would be thousands and thousands of dollars. If it's $300 for a lawyer to do an hour's worth of work doing a background check and tying up a letter saying you were clean..... that should be more public knowledge. I think some people just walk away from a denial thinking it would be too expensive to pursue it, when I'd bet that it's not all that bad.

(Philadelphia County)

I have someone looking into that now. He said it should be a piece of cake to get all info since I have no out of state records. I did my own research and found nothing and my buddy in law inforcement looked and couldn't find anything. But to be on the safe side I'll let my lawyer buddy check into it he said it could take him up to 3 weeks.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    2 things about this advice....

First, if you go through these steps to document that you can't find any reason you would be a prohibited person and document that you searched in all reasonable places, if you still get rejected and charged with false statements you have a very good defense in court to show that you filled out the PICS application in good faith and reasonably believed you were in the clear.

Second, does anyone know what the legal fees to a 2A layer would be to do a proper pre screening? I can't imagine it would be thousands and thousands of dollars. If it's $300 for a lawyer to do an hour's worth of work doing a background check and tying up a letter saying you were clean..... that should be more public knowledge. I think some people just walk away from a denial thinking it would be too expensive to pursue it, when I'd bet that it's not all that bad.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

It's called Due Diligence. This case doesn't sound too complicated and would likely resolve easily. IF, the correct legal steps are taken. That kind of quality, affordable, legal help is available here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast