Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Constructing a Trauma Kit

Why waste Narcan?

I have saved 2 over doses? (3 maybe), and never with Narcan, but I would have for sure used it on two of the cases. Also, pandemic, not every one has a mask, and the EMT is gonna do it anyway, do why not?

My point is I disagree, carry two isn't hard, and most ODs I've seen still have the needle right there, its not just a guess.

(Lancaster County)

this is all very helpful as i am taking an EMR class in a couple weeks and going through the list they gave me and the one my buddy ( who is a trained and certified EMT) gave me I'm seeing a lot of overlap. This helps me a ton with the choices in a lot of area's and it also helps me not overthink it either. So thanks to the OP and the rest who contributed.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    This helps me a ton with the choices in a lot of area's and it also helps me not overthink it either. So thanks to the OP and the rest who contributed.
    Agreed. This helped me a ton as well.

If OP or anyone else has recommendations for where is best to get CPR / First Aid certification, please post.

(Washington County)

Earlier this year I saw a head injury at a shooting event. Something went sideways and a guy ended up with a piece of brass deep in his temple. I was able to test my training and kit. I used the large "EMT" type bag I keep in my car, not the IFAK that is worn on my belt.

Lessons learned:

1. Not enough gauze/dressing. This person was bleeding a ridiculous amount. The gauze I had in my bag was insufficient. We ended up having to use unsanitary t-shirts and rags. I have since then jammed a huge pack of 9"x9" (I think?) gauze pads in my bag. If the guy had lost consciousness and the bleeding wasnt stopping I probably would of used some hemostatic gauze but it did stop and the guy stayed conscious, talking, not confused or anything. I think the blood soaked materials when we were done would of filled a walmart shopping bag.

2. Add vet wrap to my bag. There was someone there with vet wrap on hand, and we used that to secure the final dressing once bleeding was under control. I've added a couple rolls to my bag after seeing how useful that was. As well as some medical tape. My kit was lacking both those items.

3. Lots of people will bring water. Everyone with nothing to do was bringing bottles of water. Just a funny observation.

4. Make the gloves the first thing you can grab from the kit. I never put my gloves on. They were in a front pocket of the bag in a place I never went for anything. I like the tip about not using black gloves.

5. The accident that occurred was very random, and unforeseen. Not sure how it could of been prevented. So this is why we should have medical training and gear when we hit the range. Stuff happens. I have used my medical stuff so many times it's not funny. Also, this range was very remote. It was about 45 minutes from the time of the injury to the ambulance arriving. An eternity.

Some other things not related to that incident:

1. I put a turkey baster in my kit in case of a traumatic injury to the mouth area, when suction to clear out blood could be needed.

2. Medical gear outfitters (skinny medic) has a good podcast (Civilian Medical) and they have a coupon code given out on the podcast. Also, if you email them your order, you can pay with an HSA.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Where is a good resource to look for local training? I am interested in the wilderness first responders course but can*t find any classes offered within a reasonable drive of my location.

(Montgomery County)

Space blanket. A significant loss of blood can lead to hypothermia even on a 75 degree day...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12