Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 38-55

(Cumberland County)

Default 38-55

I'm considering adding a 38-55 Henry to the family. Anyone re-load it and sell it? Or any source for any? I can get some brass - but I don't reload - yet
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: 38-55

Try these folks, my go-to for exotic ammo...
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/38-55-wi...mo3855win.html
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Jefferson County)

As I think you already know, I just received a .38-55 Marlin on New Years. I have yet to load up any but from my research there are (2) lengths of brass on the market. 2.085" and 2.125", older guns tend to be chambered for the shorter of which and aren't as friendly to warmer loads.

The Buffalo Arm's ammo is slightly warmer than spec, and should only be used in modern arms. As for a Henry rifle spec, I couldn't say for sure they could handle Buff. Arms ammo. ...their steel frame receivers probably, their brass frame possibly(looks to be modeled after the Marlin 336).

Winchester still loads proper spec .38-55 under the Super-X label. I wouldn't be worried about using it in a brass framed Henry.

There are also some "Cowboy loads" out there from a few manufacturers which mimic original load(pretty much what Winchester loads today).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

^^ Thanks Guys! Just have to decide now if 38-55 is how I want to go next, or 32 Win Special or 45-70 or......... lol.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    ^^ Thanks Guys! Just have to decide now if 38-55 is how I want to go next, or 32 Win Special or 45-70 or......... lol.
    All 3...
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Elk County)

The 38-55 is one of those cartridges which is intrinsically accurate. Back in the late 1800s through 1940, the 38-55 in the Winchester 1894 and Marlin 36 was the national cartridge of northern PA and southern NY hunters of anything deer sized and larger due to its effectiveness. Across those respective tiers of the two states, the 38-55 was more popular than the 30-30 for a long time.

I have five rifles in 38-55, two Marlin 336 Cowboys, one 24" and the other 18", cut by a former owner. There's a Winchester-Miroku 94 Sporting Rifle with a 24" barrel, a Cimarron-Uberti Winchester 1894 Carbine with 20" barrel, and a Winchester-Miroku 1885 High Wall Single Shot with a 26" octagonal barrel. Each of these has a preference for a particular handload, but each of them will shoot Winchester factory ammunition with remarkable accuracy.

I do not load these for hunting; my reloads are intentionally designed to send a 0.380" 260 gr Moyer Cast RNFP bullet downrange at about black power velocities without the smoke and mess. The cases are the 2.085" Starline, because the case wall at the mouth is thinner. This is necessary for the Marlin guns, because the bore is relatively large, and 0.379" cast bullets shoot OK, 0.378" cast bullets do not. The 0.380" Moyer bullets have sophisticated inertial guidance systems packed into each one, because on paper at 50 yds from bags, I can cover groups with a US 5 cent piece from either Marlin. Because they need such large diameter bullets, the case walls need to be thinner than that of Winchester brass or the cartridges do not chamber in the Marlins. Hence the 2.085" Starline cases.

The bores in the Uberti and the two Winchester/Miroku guns are 0.001" to 0.002" tighter in diameter, but the chamber is generous so those three also accept the 0.380" Moyer bullets in Starline cases, so I standardized on those components because I lucked out that they work OK in them.

I use Unique powder exclusively, and have settled on between 10.0 and 11.2 grains depending on the rifle. Off bags on a bench from any of the five rifles, I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 100 yd berm, boringly repetitively if I do my part, using their particular version of the 260 Moyer / Unique load.

Before it got cold this fall, I doped out the Winchester/Miroku 1894 Sporting Rifle's sight setting to hit the 16" steel gong at 400 meters (440 yds) at a local club range (top rung on the elevator, with some holdover in addition). I was dialed in and banging away at the gong with a couple of guys rolled up. I stopped and allowed them to get their targets set up on the 100 yd target stands, and we donned our ear and eye protection and opened the range back up. I fired another 10 shots from the W/M 1894 Sporting Rifle at the gong and was rewarded with 10 "THUNKs" a noticeable lag after the "bang." When I opened the action and got up, there were the two guys waiting to ask what I was shooting, and how could it be that I could hit that gong without a scope?

With a muzzle velocity of 1325 to 1380 fps, there's nothing in PA that the 260 gr Moyer cast bullet couldn't take down with the right shot placement. At 100 yds or less, I would not be afraid to use any of these rifles with confidence, if I was still hunting.

If yinz need any more 38-55 info, just PM me.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

In time

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    All 3...
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the great info., and if I get in a pickle I'll pm! In the past couple years when I went into a lever action mood I'd be dropping $400-$500 on one - now, lever actions are double that - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The 38-55 is one of those cartridges which is intrinsically accurate. Back in the late 1800s through 1940, the 38-55 in the Winchester 1894 and Marlin 36 was the national cartridge of northern PA and southern NY hunters of anything deer sized and larger due to its effectiveness. Across those respective tiers of the two states, the 38-55 was more popular than the 30-30 for a long time.

I have five rifles in 38-55, two Marlin 336 Cowboys, one 24" and the other 18", cut by a former owner. There's a Winchester-Miroku 94 Sporting Rifle with a 24" barrel, a Cimarron-Uberti Winchester 1894 Carbine with 20" barrel, and a Winchester-Miroku 1885 High Wall Single Shot with a 26" octagonal barrel. Each of these has a preference for a particular handload, but each of them will shoot Winchester factory ammunition with remarkable accuracy.

I do not load these for hunting; my reloads are intentionally designed to send a 0.380" 260 gr Moyer Cast RNFP bullet downrange at about black power velocities without the smoke and mess. The cases are the 2.085" Starline, because the case wall at the mouth is thinner. This is necessary for the Marlin guns, because the bore is relatively large, and 0.379" cast bullets shoot OK, 0.378" cast bullets do not. The 0.380" Moyer bullets have sophisticated inertial guidance systems packed into each one, because on paper at 50 yds from bags, I can cover groups with a US 5 cent piece from either Marlin. Because they need such large diameter bullets, the case walls need to be thinner than that of Winchester brass or the cartridges do not chamber in the Marlins. Hence the 2.085" Starline cases.

The bores in the Uberti and the two Winchester/Miroku guns are 0.001" to 0.002" tighter in diameter, but the chamber is generous so those three also accept the 0.380" Moyer bullets in Starline cases, so I standardized on those components because I lucked out that they work OK in them.

I use Unique powder exclusively, and have settled on between 10.0 and 11.2 grains depending on the rifle. Off bags on a bench from any of the five rifles, I can hit claybirds standing on edge on the 100 yd berm, boringly repetitively if I do my part, using their particular version of the 260 Moyer / Unique load.

Before it got cold this fall, I doped out the Winchester/Miroku 1894 Sporting Rifle's sight setting to hit the 16" steel gong at 400 meters (440 yds) at a local club range (top rung on the elevator, with some holdover in addition). I was dialed in and banging away at the gong with a couple of guys rolled up. I stopped and allowed them to get their targets set up on the 100 yd target stands, and we donned our ear and eye protection and opened the range back up. I fired another 10 shots from the W/M 1894 Sporting Rifle at the gong and was rewarded with 10 "THUNKs" a noticeable lag after the "bang." When I opened the action and got up, there were the two guys waiting to ask what I was shooting, and how could it be that I could hit that gong without a scope?

With a muzzle velocity of 1325 to 1380 fps, there's nothing in PA that the 260 gr Moyer cast bullet couldn't take down with the right shot placement. At 100 yds or less, I would not be afraid to use any of these rifles with confidence, if I was still hunting.

If yinz need any more 38-55 info, just PM me.

Noah
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"