Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Springfield Hellion Bullpup Rifle

I Shot the Hellion today*. And I am absolutely in love! The trigger while heavy compared to my worked MSAR trigger*. Was very honest*. Take up the slack, (and there is a lot off it!) pressure, pressure, pressure* Break! I*m sure aftermarket will improve things in time*. The full auto safety is dumb*. Needs to be moved at least 45 degrees down*. I*m sure aftermarket will be to the rescue!

I am so torn on the scope*. I took both to the range and swapped back and forth*. I went from a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x, (to be honest* the 1-6x or 1-8x would have been fine* maybe even better if I had to do it again!), to the primary arms SLX 3X*. I love them both for different reasons*.. so I did order quick detach mounts*. So I can swap as the mood strikes me.
    The SLX will be semi permanent though as it does most things really really well!
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Finally got the Hellion to the range today. Ran great. Very happy with it. Didn't mount an optic yet, so just ran with the irons and they were plenty good for a quick run. Not sure if I'm going to mount an LPVO or PA 3x micro prism. I'd thought about the 5x coming out soon from PA, but then I'd need to run a 1x something at a 45 degree offset for up close and personal. Given that it already had flip up sights, I think the 5x and offset would be overkill. I'm leaning more towards a PA LPVO. Maybe 1-8. The new PLxC 1-8 is really appealing, but maybe more than I want to spend. I'll have a 1-8 SFP PA scope when I sell my RDB that needs a home. Maybe I'll mount that for now.

I did have one issue with the Hellion that I'm nearly 100% is operator error. I tried to switch the ejection from right to left while at the range. I'd read the manual and watched a few vids, so I thought I knew how to switch it over. I got the bolt out and flipped over for left eject, but when I went to put it back together, I couldn't get the bolt back in. At first I thought I inserted the cam pin backwards, but you can't. It only goes in one way depending on which direction the ejector is configured. I thought maybe I didn't have the firing pin in correctly. Every time I tried to insert the bolt carrier into the rifle it seemed to get hung up on the hammer. After about a half an hour of messing with the damn thing I got frustrated and bagged it all up in pieces and went home. When I got home I watched another vid showing the reassembly process. And just like I tried, they show the bolt carrier flush with the back of the receiver. I tried it again and mine still wouldn't just slide in over the hammer. Finally I gave the carrier a firm push and it slid right in over the hammer and I got the gun assembled. Still need to take it out again to make sure that it works, but it seems to be good now.

(Allegheny County)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Looks like Springfield has two new version of the Hellion coming out. One with an 18" barrel and the other with a 20" barrel. Both also have the new safety selector that they've been quietly rolling out on the 16" model.

Hellion 18.jpg

Hellion 20.jpg

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Looks like Springfield has two new version of the Hellion coming out. One with an 18" barrel and the other with a 20" barrel. Both also have the new safety selector that they've been quietly rolling out on the 16" model.

Hellion 18.jpg

Hellion 20.jpg
    Now I'm glad I haven't bought one yet. Gotta go with the 20"

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you want the 20"? The whole point of bullpup is for it's compact form, typically for close quarters. Which is typically not a long distance thing, so no need for the increased velocity. I would think the 16" would be sufficient.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you want the 20"? The whole point of bullpup is for it's compact form, typically for close quarters. Which is typically not a long distance thing, so no need for the increased velocity. I would think the 16" would be sufficient.
    Because terminal performance matters. The whole modern obsession with short barrels is due to a market that has never shot anything beside paper, steel plates, and piles of trash. Besides that 55 grain FMJ will penetrate level III steel armor out of a 20" barrel, but not a 16"

I probably would have bought the 18 or 20 if I'd known or had been patient. Still, I love my 16 Hellion. I'll love it even more once I get the updated safety either from Springfield or from Manticore Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    Even with a 20" barrel it will be shorter than an AR with a 16" barrel.

Because terminal performance matters. The whole modern obsession with short barrels is due to a market that has never shot anything beside paper, steel plates, and piles of trash. Besides that 55 grain FMJ will penetrate level III steel armor out of a 20" barrel, but not a 16"
    Yep. Always go for maximum efficiency whenever possible. You may never need it, but if it doesn't hamper anything else, it does no harm to be prepared in case you do.

(Allegheny County)

NEW Hellion Enhanced Safety Selector now shipping!

manticorearms.com
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

NEW Hellion Enhanced Safety Selector now shipping!

manticorearms.com
    I was talking with Sven about this a few months ago. Not a coincidence that he dropped this the same day that Springfield announced the new models with the updated safety.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast