Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Springfield Hellion Bullpup Rifle

I would like to own a bullpup at some point but I will want one with adoption by a national military and some successful combat history. Maybe this will check those boxes. I am guessing AUG and Tavor also do. STANAG mag compatibility also matters to me.

7.62x51 would be nice, but I don't think there are any that check those boxes. DPMS/SR25 mag compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    I would like to own a bullpup at some point but I will want one with adoption by a national military and some successful combat history. Maybe this will check those boxes. I am guessing AUG and Tavor also do. STANAG mag compatibility also matters to me.

7.62x51 would be nice, but I don't think there are any that check those boxes. DPMS/SR25 mag compatibility.
    The VHS-2 (Hellion) has been adopted in varying degrees by Croatia, Albania, Bosnia, Syria, Togo and Iraq. It also came in #2 behind H&K in the French trials to replace the FAMAS. During testing, they fired 50k rounds, ran it through mud, sand, and snow, and it never malfunctioned.

(Allegheny County)

That looks very much like something I would be interested in buying - if I hit the lottery. Ha.
    Really though, I love the looks of it. I wonder how good it would look to us Americans if it didn't look like it has Magpul furniture on it? LOL

I welcome most new guns to come to the market, but I welcome something like this even more.
    If I had the money, I'd buy one immediately.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

They get this down to below $1500 and chamber it in 6.8 SPCII, or 6.5 Grendel*.. then they will have something worth looking at!
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

Interesting outcome. Guess the French didn't bother testing with the dust cover open if they could get one to run 50k rounds without a failure.

(Allegheny County)

Their version of "mud" looks like wet sand. LOL
    That would be a tough one for any mechanism.

I'll watch it with sound at home.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

I've had a serious itch for a bullpup in .308 lately but the market has been all sorts of out of wack. This checks a lot of boxes for me but I'm not a huge fan of the charging handle design without having actually trying it yet. Seems like it would be a little tricky to manipulate once the fine motor skills go out the window and doesn't look like a whole lot of purchase to beat the crap out of it if a double or triple feed jammed it up nice and tight.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBear13 View Post
    I've had a serious itch for a bullpup in .308 lately but the market has been all sorts of out of wack. This checks a lot of boxes for me but I'm not a huge fan of the charging handle design without having actually trying it yet. Seems like it would be a little tricky to manipulate once the fine motor skills go out the window and doesn't look like a whole lot of purchase to beat the crap out of it if a double or triple feed jammed it up nice and tight.
    Maybe someone will offer an extended charging handle, if there's enough room.

Your options for a .308 bullpup are pretty much limited to the Tavor 7, Desert Tech MDR, K&M Arms M17s, or the Kel Tec RFB. I've had an RFB for 12 years. It's still one of my favorite rifles. Mine has been trouble free, for the most part. I shot the Tavor 7 and didn't like it. The trigger is awful. I was intrigued by the MDR, but issues they had early on, along with the price turned me off. The K&M interested me until I realized it's not ambidextrous. Being a lefty, I'm not a fan of brass hitting me in the face. From what I've read and seen, it has an outstanding trigger for a bullpup. Maybe even for an AR. Unfortunately, reliability seems to be spotty. Several videos online of the 5.56 version show many issues. Some reviews have positive. So buyer beware.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Maybe someone will offer an extended charging handle, if there's enough room.

Your options for a .308 bullpup are pretty much limited to the Tavor 7, Desert Tech MDR, K&M Arms M17s, or the Kel Tec RFB. I've had an RFB for 12 years. It's still one of my favorite rifles. Mine has been trouble free, for the most part. I shot the Tavor 7 and didn't like it. The trigger is awful. I was intrigued by the MDR, but issues they had early on, along with the price turned me off. The K&M interested me until I realized it's not ambidextrous. Being a lefty, I'm not a fan of brass hitting me in the face. From what I've read and seen, it has an outstanding trigger for a bullpup. Maybe even for an AR. Unfortunately, reliability seems to be spotty. Several videos online of the 5.56 version show many issues. Some reviews have positive. So buyer beware.
    I'm leaning towards Tavor 7 or the RFB. I'm in no rush to make any decisions right this moment, maybe by the time I decide to get one the Hellion will be out and we'll see what aftermarket support it receives.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBear13 View Post
    I'm leaning towards Tavor 7 or the RFB. I'm in no rush to make any decisions right this moment, maybe by the time I decide to get one the Hellion will be out and we'll see what aftermarket support it receives.

Th Hellion is out now. I know of at least one person who paid way too much for one. It's also 5.56. No plans for a .308 version.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast