Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Small pistol primers

A friend of mine has small pistol. Annum primers but no small pistol primers. Is there an acceptable substitute for 9mm using the smallnpistol magnum primers? For examole, could I subtract 1 grain of powder if I'm using the hotter primers? Jist wondering i have 10k large pistol primers but ZERO small. Id love to trade some large for small, but none of my friends are interested. I figured if I could utilize the small pistol mag primers, I would. After all, im jist shooting paper with them

Thanks in advance!

Ron

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Small pistol primers

Trading off non versus magnum is generally an okay thing to do.

Magnum primers are for larger quantities of gun powder, or for igniting harder to ignite gun powders. I recommend as you suggest, backing off the powder charge a grain or two, maybe more, then work back up. Magnum primers will provide a hotter flash, which will often burn the powder faster causing a higher pressure. Backing off that charge will help bring things back into balance.

Note: Type of powder will factor. With some powders you may not notice a difference, with others you can go from warm load to unsafe load.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clarion County)

As Knight alludes to, the faster the powder the more you want to take care.
    Many do this. Depending on powder I knock off 5-10% and work back up.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Chester County)

I use WSPM for 9mm Luger with Speer starting loads with 125 gr cast bullets. No problems. https://www.speer.com/reloading/handgun-data.html