Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How big of a knife can I carry in PA?

Is the wording prohibiting daggers that have a spring? I would like to carry a 5 inch neck knife, full size kabar TDI, and sometimes a machete. Are these allowed in PA? What areas have known restrictions other than Philly?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: How big of a knife can I carry in PA?

Technically, the only type knives that are banned by state law are auto-opening/switchblades, and any other knife that has no lawful purpose(typically exotic looking shit).

Those knives with a "brass knuckle" type grip are certainly banned, and in a lower court a guy got convicted for having a knife like the one pictured below.

I see you mention a "neck knife" - would you be wearing/carrying as fulfillment of a kirpan in the Sihk religion? ...if so, that would help as an affirmative type argument in court under religious protections.

As for machetes and other big shit, "lawful" purpose may play a part. I often carry a machete or tomahawk for work, but I'm usually in rural setting using them to clear brush/small trees in utility easements. ...walking around the City of Shittown with such may draw unwanted legal attention, which they may use that clause of the Prohibited Offensive Weapons law against you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I dunno about PA for sure, but in a lot of places, a machete is considered "farming equipment."

(Bucks County)

I believe carrying any knife in Philly is illegal with the exception of must have for work. Philly is serious about protecting its armed robbers and such.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I believe carrying any knife in Philly is illegal with the exception of must have for work. Philly is serious about protecting its armed robbers and such.
    it's meant to protect the children.

(Chester County)

Switchblades have been deemed illegal to carry under the PA knife laws. That is one part of the law that is clear, the rest of the statute is purposely vague. Carry a knife discreetly when in the company of others. Skip the pocket clip for folders and although assisted opening knives are clearly legal knives under PA law you may be arrested for carrying one and made to defend yourself against prosecution. Out in the woods carry what you need. As always, stay out of Philadelphia. What possible good reason is there for going there?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

I was carrying a Kabar TDI but might switch to a ceramic neck and belt fixed blade. It looks to be used for more purposes and is maybe more legal.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Switchblades have been deemed illegal to carry under the PA knife laws. That is one part of the law that is clear, the rest of the statute is purposely vague. Carry a knife discreetly when in the company of others. Skip the pocket clip for folders and although assisted opening knives are clearly legal knives under PA law you may be arrested for carrying one and made to defend yourself against prosecution. Out in the woods carry what you need. As always, stay out of Philadelphia. What possible good reason is there for going there?
    Auto switch blades are illegal to carry but legal to own and keep in the house right?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    Auto switch blades are illegal to carry but legal to own and keep in the house right?
    Pretty sure they can be considered a curio and kept as part of a collection but in this day and age of government lawlessness I would be on guard against that being used as an add on to other charges if you were to be arrested and your belongings searched. I wouldn't be showing automatics to anyone or letting anyone know you own any. This is the country we live in today.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Centre County)

And that's a shame the law reads like that. I go to a fair amount of gun shows outside PA and there are a lot of really well made, nice looking, good hand feel AND functional auto opening knives on the market but I'm leery of buying one, even if I plan on just keeping it in the shop for needed use. I might forget, and since it's just a knife I might slip it into my pocket and forget I'm carrying it.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 14th, 2022 at 07:39 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast