Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Is PAFOA the Gold Standard of "State" Gun Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post

MSI is a wonderful org. It's odd looking from outside in because freedoms are taken for granted when you have them, and many don't
    understand the struggle of living in a marxist state like CA/NJ/NY/MD/CT/etc..
    This is a fact.

PA is a different planet from MD.

When I came here one of the first things I did was go to the police station and asked what I needed to do with guns I moved into the state so I stayed above board and didn't make myself a felon.

They said "The first thing you can do is leave the police stations and go home and not tell us what you own because we don't care." (paraphrasing.....they actually laughed at me first before sending me home)

Then I applied for a carry permit and when the sheriff told me to come pick it up 3 days later I thought it was a trap for an outstanding warrant or something. No way it could be that easy. Then the sheriff lectured me about not brining dumb politics to PA from MD.

Remember that scene in Shawshank Redemption where Andy crawls out of the sewer pipe to enjoy his newfound freedom?

Moving to PA was kinda like that.

But my time in MD does make me appreciate the 2A freedom here and makes me very motivated to fight to keep it that way.

(Westmoreland County)

I argue that we have some of the best gun laws in the nation. With that being said, and as with all things, there is always room for improvement.

I will say this, while I'm all for constitutional carry it is kind of nice having a LTCF for FTF transactions. I've never sold privately to someone without a LTCF without transferring simply to cover myself but won't hesitate if you've got a LTCF in hand. I think maintaining or even raising the bar for LTCF for reciprocity sake while implementing constitutional carry is the path forward. Besides putting Philly in check, the only other real improvement we really need that I'm aware of is to follow in the footsteps of MO and put a ban on enforcing the NFA. Even something like the "Made in Texas, used in Texas" law is a small step in the right direction to normalizing the use of suppressors but would like to see additional clauses covering the use of SBR's at a minimum. In a perfect world it would also cover DD's and FA's but going for the big win in one shot is usually political suicide. There is something to be said for the progressive approach of the small ask then continually moving the goal posts as small victories are achieved.

Welcome to PA.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    MSI is an excellent organization. I did not mean to suggest that it was not and I sincerely apologize if it came off that way. I was annoyed by the constant sales pitch for it, not the organization itself.

I am still a member of MSI even after leaving that Communist death trap state and still support them fighting back against the tyranny.

But it is VERY solicited on MDShooters. Some posters basically attack you about not being a member. Or try to interject MSI into every conversation and get pissy when you don't go for the topic change.

"Anyone who doesn't stop by the MSI table at the Timonium gun show is a communist! Hell anyone who doesn't show up to the Timonium gun show that barely has guns...ammo...gun parts...and like 12 total vendors....is a basically a gun grabber for not supporting guns in MD!"

This is a regular conversation there.

And the board is super cliquey to the point where it's an echo chamber and alternative opinions on ANYTHING need not apply. I found the overall environment there to be mildly toxic. Part of that is people trying to enjoy something the whole state is constantly trying to persecute them for enjoying. Believe me I get that part.

To your other point about giveaways..... I will say that was something I have never seen on any message board about any subject. There is a good "free to a good home" history there for unneeded gun and non gun items.

Old stocks, spare parts, used items that just aren't needed by the owner anymore.... they are given away to other members. Strangers offering stuff to strangers just for karma.

So there are a lot of really good people there. But the overall tone of the board is controlled by the high post count few who have been there for years and years. With a lot of others trying to win favor with the overlords. And that few that run the clique make the board unwelcoming to new members.

Having been on both boards.... this one is far more welcoming and friendly. And is much less of an forced echo chamber. It's more that people just seem to agree on stuff more.
    I also won't disagree with much of what you say.

I hope I am not cliquey, but I have been there a while.

As for the giveaways, there's a 'Watercooler' forum that cannot be seen with under 50 posts, and that is where my giveaways occur.

I try to avoid the echo chamber, and have come under fire when I say no one should be prohibited from owning a gun. If you're free to walk the streets, you're free to own a gun (a bit idealistic, I know).

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by eruby View Post
    I also won't disagree with much of what you say.

I hope I am not cliquey, but I have been there a while.

As for the giveaways, there's a 'Watercooler' forum that cannot be seen with under 50 posts, and that is where my giveaways occur.

I try to avoid the echo chamber, and have come under fire when I say no one should be prohibited from owning a gun. If you're free to walk the streets, you're free to own a gun (a bit idealistic, I know).
    Your avatar tells the whole story about the difference between MD and PA

When I was in MD I knew exactly how you felt. I went out of my way not to discuss that I was a gun owner. More than once people freaked out just know I had guns in my house...which was 20 miles away. People judge you for being a radical gun toting (insert this week's trendy leftist insult here).

Since moving to PA though I have had two strangers START a conversation with "What's your EDC gun?"

That took some getting used to.

The first guy I refused to answer...saying that is private information and he looked at me weird like I didn't know how to be friendly.

The second guy is a neighbor so I told what I carried, he said he carried the same thing with a different slide. We took them out and compared the differences and discussed our range results. Now we go to he range together once a month.

Like I said...different planet up here.

I invite my MD friends to come up to the range I joined and they honestly question if that's legal for them to cross state lines to shoot. They are scared to be in the conversation...as if the Maryland State Police are watching.

I remember being that guy.

Different mindset entirely. You are made to feel like you are doing something wrong.

I think that MD mindset for gun owners contributes greatly to the general tension on MDShooters
    Last edited by Spaceballs; January 14th, 2022 at 03:32 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by eruby View Post
    Rachel Lapp weeps.
    I'm sure an evening with Jakey in the corn crib will make her forget all about it.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post

Old stocks, spare parts, used items that just aren't needed by the owner anymore.... they are given away to other members. Strangers offering stuff to strangers just for karma.
    Weapons guild has a karma giveaway section of the forum where a member will post a free item, people post in the thread, and then the OP randomly picks a winner, usually with a random number generator. Free items I’ve seen lately range from a CETME receiver (requiring an FFL transfer) to stickers. I just did my first karma giveaway there and a few days later was chosen to receive one. So the karma works!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Weapons guild has a karma giveaway section of the forum where a member will post a free item, people post in the thread, and then the OP randomly picks a winner, usually with a random number generator. Free items I*ve seen lately range from a CETME receiver (requiring an FFL transfer) to stickers. I just did my first karma giveaway there and a few days later was chosen to receive one. So the karma works!
    Here we have the Pay it Forward thread:

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=41566

(Washington County)

Haha. I dont go in the lounge much. In all the years ive been coming here I never recall having noticed that thread.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I'm sure nobody will ever surpass us in number, quality and variety of degenerates and malcontents.
    I resemble that

I wish I could join a clique
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast