Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Re: Is PAFOA the Gold Standard of "State" Gun Boards?

I got into forums first for the offroad/jeep community. Then once I became a gun nut I looked for forums and PAFOA became my go to. The general atmosphere seems to suit me better than alternatives. I dabble in other forums that are more specialized like 1919a4 and weapons guild, but PAFOA is still my favorite.

I really hate the current fad of facebook groups. Some think they are replacement forums. I hope not. FB groups are terrible. Hard to search, same topic posted each week, comments in weird order sometimes. Fak that.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

If by "gold standard" you mean the first site I check everyday, then yes, it is my gold standard.

(York County)

One of the nice things about this site is the politics and local forums

Obviously I can't trust the news for news. So it's nice to find a place where I can get updates on PA politics and the governor/senator races from other locals

Also the region specific forums are fantastic

I moved from MD last year and didn't know much about the area. A few questions about things to do in the York County forum and my local world expanded pretty quick. I got recommended to try a local gun club that I just joined and love. I found out about some other fun outdoor things to do with the kids that would have taken me years to find by searching on my own. So it's not all guns...it's just general life in PA forums

And when I asked a bunch of REALLY basic concealed carry questions because I knew nothing about it coming from a communist death trap state I was met with nothing but help and knowledge. There was no "Only a fed would be asking us this in hopes of finding an error he could use to have the ATF raid our servers" which is what you get on some other state forums directly to the South

I wouldn't mind an archery forum here but other than that this board is kinda perfect

(York County)

Also the people here are more down to earth than other state forums

Legit gun experts here are more modest and happy.tonshare tmeaht they know while on other forums I've seen non experts claim to be experts and give a lot of shit to anyone who doesn't know everything the non experts know

In other words it's a place where you can feel comfortable asking novice questions without hearing "How do you not know that already?!"

I mean I am a pretty knowledgeable rifle/pistol guy but as far as shotguns go I know which end gets pointing at the target and not much else.... so it's nice to be able to ask basic questions about the areas I'm not as strong in

This is the only gun forum I frequent. Interesting characters and lots of wisdom and insightful perspectives. My only critique is that I think the "pile-on effect" has to be moderated a bit better. New person posts something silly and the responses are tactful and polite, then one poster gives a negative response and it seems like everyone who never would have even responded then piles on with negativity. I've seen alot of forums die from that. They become a circle jerk of long time members keeping the newbs from feeling welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    MDShooters has a wide range of sub-forums of interests, reloading being one popular. Very cliquey though, as with many non-gun forums I found, post-counts are considered king.. No chicklets
    What does "No chicklets" mean?

I don't think MDShooters is cliquey, but I have been a member for a while.

Of course today, the site (and it's related Facebook page) is down. Perhaps 'Oathkeeper' type indictments are coming. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    This.

Dissenting opinions need not apply there.

And every other post is trying to get people to join and donate to Maryland Shall Issue, a non profit gun rights group that pesters law makers. They push it so hard it makes it unattractive.

And I am about 90% sure a good number if active users there are Feds or Maryland State Police monitoring gun talk in a gun hating state. But don't ask a basic question there is your post count is under a million or they will assume you are a Fed.

If one of your first five posts is...."I am curious if different bolt carrier groups make a difference in an AR 15" it will be met quickly by "Oh what's next? You ask us how to make the sear go full auto?! Everyone ignore the Fed!"
    Maryland Shall Issue is an excellent organization. I don't think there is that much solicitation on MDShooters, but I am often wrong.

And yes, new members are often called into question, but that is because we have had many troll/infiltraters.

I hold a yearly fundraiser for the homeless/battered women, and this year members donated over $5,0000

I often give things away (Jacob Bromwell flask, OTF auto knives), and always include delicious Chuckles in the package.

"chicklets" are those green (or red) positive (or neg) reputation that show up under your username in postings that represents the "Rep Power"

If you don't believe it's cliquey, you might just be in a clique.. LOL

Eastern Shore, Central, West, Police, federal employees, medical/healthcare, military, teachers, gun club memberships, etc. The membership
    is large, but there are a few loud voices on the site that always seem (or seek) to overwhelm all the others.

MSI is a wonderful org. It's odd looking from outside in because freedoms are taken for granted when you have them, and many don't
    understand the struggle of living in a marxist state like CA/NJ/NY/MD/CT/etc..

Quote Originally Posted by eruby View Post
    What does "No chicklets" mean?

Of course today, the site (and it's related Facebook page) is down. Perhaps 'Oathkeeper' type indictments are coming. LOL

Maryland Shall Issue is an excellent organization. I don't think there is that much solicitation on MDShooters, but I am often wrong.

And yes, new members are often called into question, but that is because we have had many troll/infiltraters.

I hold a yearly fundraiser for the homeless/battered women, and this year members donated over $5,0000

I often give things away (Jacob Bromwell flask, OTF auto knives), and always include delicious Chuckles in the package.
    SigGendered

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    "chicklets" are those green (or red) positive (or neg) reputation that show up under your username in postings that represents the "Rep Power"

If you don't believe it's cliquey, you might just be in a clique.. LOL

Eastern Shore, Central, West, Police, federal employees, medical/healthcare, military, teachers, gun club memberships, etc. The membership
    is large, but there are a few loud voices on the site that always seem (or seek) to overwhelm all the others.

MSI is a wonderful org. It's odd looking from outside in because freedoms are taken for granted when you have them, and many don't
    understand the struggle of living in a marxist state like CA/NJ/NY/MD/CT/etc..
    With that, I cannot disagree.

Be sure to enter my upcoming 'Open Range - Candy and Cigars' karma. IF the site ever comes back up.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I stay away from the amish broads, I'm not into cankles, man hands, or unibrows.
    Rachel Lapp weeps.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by eruby View Post

MSI is an excellent organization. I did not mean to suggest that it was not and I sincerely apologize if it came off that way. I was annoyed by the constant sales pitch for it, not the organization itself.

I am still a member of MSI even after leaving that Communist death trap state and still support them fighting back against the tyranny.

But it is VERY solicited on MDShooters. Some posters basically attack you about not being a member. Or try to interject MSI into every conversation and get pissy when you don't go for the topic change.

"Anyone who doesn't stop by the MSI table at the Timonium gun show is a communist! Hell anyone who doesn't show up to the Timonium gun show that barely has guns...ammo...gun parts...and like 12 total vendors....is a basically a gun grabber for not supporting guns in MD!"

This is a regular conversation there.

And the board is super cliquey to the point where it's an echo chamber and alternative opinions on ANYTHING need not apply. I found the overall environment there to be mildly toxic. Part of that is people trying to enjoy something the whole state is constantly trying to persecute them for enjoying. Believe me I get that part.

To your other point about giveaways..... I will say that was something I have never seen on any message board about any subject. There is a good "free to a good home" history there for unneeded gun and non gun items.

Old stocks, spare parts, used items that just aren't needed by the owner anymore.... they are given away to other members. Strangers offering stuff to strangers just for karma.

So there are a lot of really good people there. But the overall tone of the board is controlled by the high post count few who have been there for years and years. With a lot of others trying to win favor with the overlords. And that few that run the clique make the board unwelcoming to new members.

Having been on both boards.... this one is far more welcoming and friendly. And is much less of an forced echo chamber. It's more that people just seem to agree on stuff more.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast