Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Is PAFOA the Gold Standard of "State" Gun Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    You will never hear me complain about PAFOA: all the help anyone could ever ask for, and I've made some great friends and good purchases over the years to boot.

There's a very impressive breath of knowledge here: from guns & motors to law, history and economics. Even a dentist! I'm not sure how good some of the other forums are, but I've seen Noah ID guns I've never even heard of based on a rear sight screw in a single picture!
    Tell me about it! On Ford Truck Enthusiasts recently, they had a thread 'What's Your Job?', and the guys all told their stories. They thought it was awesome but they got nothing on POOFA and I even told them that.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Back around 97 or 98 there was a website called Packing.org. The guy that originally set it up meant it to be all the information you'd need for carrying in any state. It has a forum, kind of buggy, but it was there.

It ran for a few years, but the owner started to get busy with life, and delegated the day to day operation of the site to a small group of regular forum members. From there the site started to degrade. This was a good ol' boy network and if you voiced any bit of disagreement about their viewpoint you got banned immediately. I believe eventually the domain got sold to one of them, the original owner just washed his hands of it all. It didn't last much after that.

Once it was gone, I went looking for another firearms related forum around 2006, and found PAFOA. I signed up, without giving much thought that it was brand new. There wasn't much activity and I didn't come back for several years when I went looking for a forum again. I had actually forgotten about signing up here and tried to sign up again only to find my user name was already in use. I made a guess at the password that I used back then and got logged in.

I'm sure there are a few forums that spawned off the failure of packing.org.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Back around 97 or 98 there was a website called Packing.org. The guy that originally set it up meant it to be all the information you'd need for carrying in any state. It has a forum, kind of buggy, but it was there.

It ran for a few years, but the owner started to get busy with life, and delegated the day to day operation of the site to a small group of regular forum members. From there the site started to degrade. This was a good ol' boy network and if you voiced any bit of disagreement about their viewpoint you got banned immediately. I believe eventually the domain got sold to one of them, the original owner just washed his hands of it all. It didn't last much after that.

Once it was gone, I went looking for another firearms related forum around 2006, and found PAFOA. I signed up, without giving much thought that it was brand new. There wasn't much activity and I didn't come back for several years when I went looking for a forum again. I had actually forgotten about signing up here and tried to sign up again only to find my user name was already in use. I made a guess at the password that I used back then and got logged in.

I'm sure there are a few forums that spawned off the failure of packing.org.
    HA, that's similar to me here. Back in 2012, I was looking for info on my Charter Arms .44 SP and found this place. Placed my question, got a few answers including one telling me that a very knowledgeable member on them had recently passed. Then, in about 2017, I got rejected for my LTCF and found this place again through a search. I thought it looked familiar but couldn't quite place it. As you did, I tried opening an account and found that I already had one. I got lucky with my password. Then I remembered why I had to account already.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Clearfield County)

I'm sure nobody will ever surpass us in number, quality and variety of degenerates and malcontents.

Came here back in 08 while looking for info on out of state PA concealed carry. Lots of good info and friendly folks so just stayed for a while. The only gun website that has proved to be worth my time.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

I came here close to the inception. I was friends with Dan's friend Doug who hosted the site on his server. He urged me to sign up and I have been here since. I have played around on other gun forums like GlockTalk, AR15.com etc... and always seem to just spend most of my time browsing here.

(Bucks County)

Yes. POOFA is like Fakebook, wikipedia, eBay, and history.com combined but for cool people.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Allegheny County)

This is a gun forum ?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I'm sure nobody will ever surpass us in number, quality and variety of degenerates and malcontents.
    Never truer words**
    The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it........

(Bucks County)

This place is the gold standard, all right.
    Reminds me of legends gone by: Topsy, Valorious, Jahwarrior to name but a few.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast