Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: New Caliber: Federal 30 Super Carry

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    5.7 x 28 is far superior to this with faster bullet velocity and around the same energy load. If my Five Seven was a little more compact it would likely be my daily carry. Standard magazine holds 20 + 1 and the 30 round mags aren't much of an extension and it's super light. This round has the same disadvantage though, if it's a niche round it's going to be tough to find and costly.

It's highly unlikely that you will ever see a compact 5.7x28 pistol. The round is too long. The grips on the FiveseveN and the Ruger 57 are already as small as they can get. The only thing you can shorten in those guns is the barrel. The 5.7 is already handicapped in a pistol. Shortening the barrel reduces velocity and effectiveness. The only possible way I could see a compact 5.7 pistol is if Bond Arms chambered one of their Bullpup pistols in the cartridge. Don't hold your breath on that one, though.

22 TCM9r is a better option as it already fits in a standard 9mm magazine, so it will fit in any gun with just a barrel swap (in theory). Just need reliable guns to run it, and more than just Armscor to manufacture the ammo. It performs just as well as 5.7x28 overall, and better in some instances. But again, it's a niche cartridge that probably will never be more than that.

(Susquehanna County)

Yawn....So they updated the .30 Luger....Woopee.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clearfield County)

Yes, a hollow point that opens up to a smaller diameter than .45 fmj is exactly what I want

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    It's highly unlikely that you will ever see a compact 5.7x28 pistol. The round is too long. The grips on the FiveseveN and the Ruger 57 are already as small as they can get. The only thing you can shorten in those guns is the barrel. The 5.7 is already handicapped in a pistol. Shortening the barrel reduces velocity and effectiveness. The only possible way I could see a compact 5.7 pistol is if Bond Arms chambered one of their Bullpup pistols in the cartridge. Don't hold your breath on that one, though.

22 TCM9r is a better option as it already fits in a standard 9mm magazine, so it will fit in any gun with just a barrel swap (in theory). Just need reliable guns to run it, and more than just Armscor to manufacture the ammo. It performs just as well as 5.7x28 overall, and better in some instances. But again, it's a niche cartridge that probably will never be more than that.
    Another thing people don't realize is that 5.7 uses small rifle primers, I suspect that's why the pistols chambered for it are all hammer fired, you can't get a pistol striker to reliably set them off.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Another thing people don't realize is that 5.7 uses small rifle primers, I suspect that's why the pistols chambered for it are all hammer fired, you can't get a pistol striker to reliably set them off.
    At 50,000 psi I think the Federal 30 Super Carry will use them too. That is a big negative since I reload everything. I would probably chicken out because of the cratered primers way before I go to factory velocity.

(Clarion County)

Don't know how they'll eventually market it, but could look attractive to the wave of newer firearms owners.
    Something like softer recoil, higher capacity and unbelievable ballistics.
    Being selfish I wish they would concentrate on primer production.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

I actually want one in a Shield Plus. But I don't have a compact/sub/micro compact right now and am in the market for one.

So 12 +1 and 15 +1 in the same size, and similar ballistics as the 9? Sure. Sounds good to me

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Which is the whole point of dropping a new gimmick caliber right now.

$$$$$
    Or someone is going to push a "no military calibers" agenda upon us. And federal is getting ahead of it. Just my conspiracy theory mind at work. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be surprised by the dopes at the FJB party.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Don't know how they'll eventually market it, but could look attractive to the wave of newer firearms owners.
    Something like softer recoil, higher capacity and unbelievable ballistics.
    Being selfish I wish they would concentrate on primer production.
    That's it. The push will be to new owners, not existing P365, shield plus and LCP Max owners.

Quote Originally Posted by TDIfan View Post
    Or someone is going to push a "no military calibers" agenda upon us. And federal is getting ahead of it. Just my conspiracy theory mind at work. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't be surprised by the dopes at the FJB party.
    Even in this clown show I don't they would try that. I mean that eliminates ALL the top calibers (7.62x51, 9mm, 5.56, hell even 12 gauge?!)

(Allegheny County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast