Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default How the heck do you people afford all of your guns ?

Haha, a somewhat serious question though.

I've had a few guns for a while, but never was really "into" it until this past year or so, I'm lucky enough to live on a property where I can just go out and shoot anytime I want.

I love to come here and see all the collections of people's guns, but it's kind of depressing at the same time ha.

It just always blows my mind, I will see a picture of 20 AR-15's and start doing the math in my head, I truly don't know how you people afford some of the collections you have ! Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and more power to you, it just makes me think WOW every time.

I have a decent job, single, no kids, and I still had to scrimp for a couple of months to get a $200 used pistol, just trying to figure out how you guys do it.

And yeah I realize that this is pretty much the worst time in a while to get "into" the gun thing, but I don't plan on buying anything until the hysteria dies down.... if it does (hopefully).

Not really sure what the point of this post is, everyone's economic situation is different, there's 100 different variables I'm sure, I just have a bad case of gun envy I suppose

Maybe if some of you tell me that it's taken you 45 years to be able to afford your collections, that will make me feel better HA.

Take care and happy shooting !

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: How the hell do you people afford all of your guns ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    Haha, a somewhat serious question though.

I've had a few guns for a while, but never was really "into" it until this past year or so, I'm lucky enough to live on a property where I can just go out and shoot anytime I want.

I love to come here and see all the collections of people's guns, but it's kind of depressing at the same time ha.

It just always blows my mind, I will see a picture of 20 AR-15's and start doing the math in my head, I truly don't know how you people afford some of the collections you have ! Don't get me wrong, it's awesome and more power to you, it just makes me think WOW every time.

I have a decent job, single, no kids, and I still had to scrimp for a couple of months to get a $200 used pistol, just trying to figure out how you guys do it.

And yeah I realize that this is pretty much the worst time in a while to get "into" the gun thing, but I don't plan on buying anything until the hysteria dies down.... if it does (hopefully).

Not really sure what the point of this post is, everyone's economic situation is different, there's 100 different variables I'm sure, I just have a bad case of gun envy I suppose

Maybe if some of you tell me that it's taken you 45 years to be able to afford your collections, that will make me feel better HA.

Take care and happy shooting !
    The heart wants what the heart wants!

It's not usual to find a buddy who can barely keep up his car payments somehow find $1500 to build a super-duper-over-under-sideways-down AR-15.

(York County)

You can find any body and look at them or their lives and say how can they afford ____________________. or why would they waste their money on _____________.
    Each and everyone of us has our own priorities and will find a way to indulge in them.
    RIP -The US constitution.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NY Refugee View Post
    You can find any body and look at them or their lives and say how can they afford ____________________. or why would they waste their money on _____________.
    Each and everyone of us has our own priorities and will find a way to indulge in them.
    yep.

I dont drink, dont smoke, my family mostly eats homecooked meals. That all adds up to a lot of discretionary spending money.

I spend it on guns

and for the most part, my wife doesnt mind

But really, I have heard people nag (not seriously) about the number of guns I buy and the cost of those guns and say "how do you afford it?" while they go out to the bar all the time.

(Pike County)

johnnyquest, if it makes you feel any better, you could say that my collection is the end product of two lifetimes of collecting.
    My father had guns, and I have guns. When he passed I inherited his.
    All, though, is subject to the ups and downs of economy.
    Twice when I was younger we had to sell off most of our guns due to financial needs and medical bills.
    Right now due to unemployement I just sold one gun and have another up for sale on these forums.
    Try to save for what you want, and keep them whenever possible.
    Try not to trade one for another.
    Try to buy quality, they will hold their value. I have many guns that are worth 2 or 3 times what I paid for them.
    Shop for both guns and accessories. Buy low.
    We all tend to use our disposable income for what we enjoy and like, perhaps your priorities are changing?

(Chester County)

My gun collections ROI is better than my portfolios and any time I want to touch my investment, it is just a matter of going to the safe. Plus they sure are fun, sometimes just looking at them I find fun.

For me I try and invest in my passions........ Golf, Cars and Guns are my passion and weaknesses.

The great thing about guns is the variety that the segment encompasses.

Three reasons:

1. Living beneath my means

2. Fifty years

3. Writing gun books (need research materials, natch!)

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Cambria County)

Layaways. But you will find that it makes your crazy to put a gun on layaway and then have to wait on it. You'll probably find the money somehow to pick it up shortly. My local gun shop told me he didn't think they have ever had a gun on layaway for over two months. It makes you crazy waiting to get it.

Watch for deals. They are out there. You just have to be the first one to jump on it.

Find a parttime job just to earn money to buy guns with. Extreme?! Yep, but it will work.

Wheel and Deal. You probably have something that someone needs or wants. If they have any firearms. They may be willing to do a trade. Watch for super deals. Watch the Traders Guide/newspaper/want ads in the paper. I saw a Glock go for $150 once (it was gone when I called. Someone else beat me to it), cause the family inherited it and had no idea what it was worth.

ShawnL has a good point. How many times you stop at Mickey D's to eat. You could feed yourself at home for almost a week for what one meal cost you when you eat out. How money you spend on gas. Are you cruising around when you could be sitting around. There are lots of little things you can do to free up some money. You just have to decide which is more important in your life right now. And if you younger, Guns probably won't win out....

Oh, I'm actually renting the old Johnny Quest Cartoons for the kids to watch. It was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. (I'm showing my age ain't I)
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Lots of reasons...

Everyone has different budgets and different priorities. Some people do have the cash to buy all the guns they want. Others have large collections that have taken a lifetime. Personally, I am not rich. I have a good bit of guns for my age (considering I got back into this about 2 years ago) and I got there by adjusting priorities at times. Picking up some extra overtime, selling some unused stuff, or diverting money from other projects. I have used savings here and there to purchase investment guns and have no problem selling or trading firearms to get something that will work better.

It can be helpful at times to be less picky. I had wanted an XD sub compact as a carry piece. Couldn't find one in my price range but I did find a Kahr K9 that I liked. I traded a gun and put the rest in cash. Later when I found a mint XD service for a great price I jumped on it. Most of my good deals have been from the forum or from making friends locally. Don't be afraid to buy used if it is a trusted source

Also, while I have some guns I don't always have a ton of ammo around. My gun budget is shrinking with the holidays approaching so I have an AR without ammo, 5 rounds for the 38, and one mag of carry ammo for the XD and K9. I hope to stock up soon after I divert some funds. So I save money by not shooting as much or switching to cheaper calibers. I want to get a 9mm upper for the AR so I can buy in bulk and feed 3 guns.

Wow, that was a ramble. Hope it helped...

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: How the hell do you people afford all of your guns ?

I sold off a collection of "other collectibles" a few years ago, and decided to get serious about my firearms, in light of what I figured was coming (I figured correctly, politically-speaking, FYI), and adjusted my lifestyle accordingly. We drive old, PAID-FOR cars; we don't eat out, we don't go to movies or take vacations, and we don't throw money away on stuff of no lasting value (jet skis, big screen TVs, Wii, etc.).

If you want to do it, and have it PAID for, this is what you do. We've been credit card-free for 10 years this year, and while our life is hardly 'glamorous,' 'glamorous' won't cut it, the day the flag goes up. I used to work in the media - I know how marketing/advertising 'works,' and so I easily see right through it.

Beach volleyball babes do NOT show up at your parties when you serve Coors Light; the hot looking model in the slinky dress does NOT come as standard equipment on the new Corvette convertible; life does not improve quantitatively by staying at Disney World for a week. Ain't no models, or vacations, or a Disney fairy-tale life ahead for me - you can have the fantasy (and the people who do, will die with their last utterance in this life being, "Whuh?!?!") for a little while, or prepare for reality. We (wife & kids) have chosen the latter, and are better for it.

Bob

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast