Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Peterman Fur & Trapping Supplies 2022 Report

From their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Peterman-Fu...1942812666642/

The way I read this, if someone can figure out a commercially desirable product using Coyote fur then there's profit to be had.

Current Jan 5th 2022. This is the roughest yr in the fur market history, ever period. Here is a list of things we are gonna buy this season. If you have further question pm me and list where you are from, what species you have, finished or green. I have had 100 messages this year "what is fur prices". Its like calling a car dealership and saying what's the prices of vehicles.

Bobcats, finished, skinned, or on carcass. From all areas. Also buying undamaged bobcat skulls. Also cat glands. All are for the fur market making the belly, size, quality most important. Cats are the most money item this year.

Beaver Castors is the next highest item. They are a little cheaper than last yr but still good. The hides are very cheap, finished beavers will be bought but not green beavers. Also Will buy beaver tails. Please freeze the tails.

Otters: Will buy otters finished, green, or carcass. Best prices for finished. Buying the skulls too.

Rats: Prices seem to be going up and down back and forth every time I hear anything about fur. Over all the market is decent but not great here.

Coons: Well Im gonna start buying Finished coons. The prices are not good. But there is no decent market on coons anywhere. If one develops, I will raise prices. If it gets any worse I will loose every penny I spend on coons.

Coyotes: I dont plan on buying any coyotes at all this yr. What a huge turn around in a yr. The last few yrs coyotes have been my main target. Peta and the anti fur world finally accomplised their goal. They destroyed our market by getting canada goose to stop using our coyote fur. Now there is no end buyers for coyotes and its destroyed our market for them. This is a problem all of us, especially trapping associations need to be focusing on. The last 2 yrs I bought over 3,000 coyote skins. They was the bread n butter. Now I cant give one away. Folks the anti trapping people did this to us. While they kept us busy with keeping trapping legal, they took away our markets.

This isnt a Fur Fish n Game make everyone feel good fur report. This is a honest fur report.

As always selling/trading new traps and supplies.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Peterman Fur & Trapping Supplies 2022 Report

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    From their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Peterman-Fu...1942812666642/

The way I read this, if someone can figure out a commercially desirable product using Coyote fur then there's profit to be had.
    It's a sad turn of events.

I enjoyed trapping 30-35 years ago, when you might still break even. I'd only put out like 6-10 location and catch a couple coon/week. Fur buyers would still buy 'on the hoof I' and there were a couple within 15 minutes of home. I knew a couple guys that were laid off during the late fall/winter and would be pretty much full time trappers. One guy was really 'on it,' had 6 locations, and caught over 100 fox in a month.

Did a little again about 15 years, back, but the only local buyer (30 minute drive) wanted them at least skinned. Where I lived wasn't real conducive to that (throwing out carcasses in the weekly municipal trash, lol).

Now I live in a spot where I could probably catch a couple dozen coon and a few fox on my property over easy terrain. I might just try it in the next year or so just to get a couple hides that I'd tan for myself, for decorative reasons. Who really wants to bust their butts, prepare hides, travel to a buyer to throw money away. There's no incentive at all for anyone looking to make a business out of it anymore.

(Wayne County)

I just did a search of coyote pelts on open market. Iowa skin traders was 25 to 35 per pelt for 2021, 2022.

Russians use to buy all the beaver pelts they could get their hands on until the feds cut them off.

Extremely good Bobcats out of Wyoming were bringing 2500 to 3k.

Maybe Peters needs to find different buyers.