Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bug Out Cooking Options - Best Portable Stoves

My mind starts to overload when it comes to the "fuel sources".
    It seems there are at least 3-4 types unless I'm not understanding the terminology as I read about them.

I'm learning though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    My mind starts to overload when it comes to the "fuel sources".
    It seems there are at least 3-4 types unless I'm not understanding the terminology as I read about them.

I'm learning though.
    Most stoves are white gas, AKA Coleman fuel. This usually means you need to have a separate fuel bottle for refills but some models like the MSR stove can connect directly to the fuel bottle.

Alcohol stoves usually cook a little slower since alcohol has less BTUs but it has the advantage that it is safer to carry and you can even store it in a plastic bottle. You do need more fuel for the same amount of cooking compared to white gas.

Stoves that use the little butane cylinders are quick to use and compact. But butane stops working below freezing so thats a no go for me.

I have not looked in a while but there were some models of the white gas stoves that could burn anything. Gasoline, kerosene, alcohol or even diesel. These are the ones to have in a SHTF scenario but they are expensive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Most stoves are white gas, AKA Coleman fuel. This usually means you need to have a separate fuel bottle for refills but some models like the MSR stove can connect directly to the fuel bottle.

Alcohol stoves usually cook a little slower since alcohol has less BTUs but it has the advantage that it is safer to carry and you can even store it in a plastic bottle. You do need more fuel for the same amount of cooking compared to white gas.

Stoves that use the little butane cylinders are quick to use and compact. But butane stops working below freezing so thats a no go for me.

I have not looked in a while but there were some models of the white gas stoves that could burn anything. Gasoline, kerosene, alcohol or even diesel. These are the ones to have in a SHTF scenario but they are expensive.
    Cool.

Where does propane fit into this?

Aside from the natural gas stove in my kitchen, the only "fuel source" for making fire/cooking with that I'm familiar with is propane.

(Bucks County)

Cool.

Where does propane fit into this?

Aside from the natural gas stove in my kitchen, the only "fuel source" for making fire/cooking with that I'm familiar with is propane.
    The green one pound propane cylinders are usually used for the two burner stoves used when car camping. For decades I used the classic old style coleman white gas stoves where you had to pump it up, turn a little lever, light it then fiddle with it till it starts burning. Then I went to the dark side with the propane stoves, you just screw in a tank and turn it on. Now my girlfriend /kids don't have to wait for me to wake up to light the stove and they can get the coffee started. I think there are some single burners that will screw on the tank but even then they are bulky and not as stable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    The green one pound propane cylinders are usually used for the two burner stoves used when car camping. For decades I used the classic old style coleman white gas stoves where you had to pump it up, turn a little lever, light it then fiddle with it till it starts burning. Then I went to the dark side with the propane stoves, you just screw in a tank and turn it on. Now my girlfriend /kids don't have to wait for me to wake up to light the stove and they can get the coffee started. I think there are some single burners that will screw on the tank but even then they are bulky and not as stable.
    I never understood those old stoves. I thought they used something like gasoline!
    I'm sure that's what my parents used when I was VERY young, but later switched to the propane cylinders.

So "white gas/Coleman fuel" is not propane?

I'll understand this eventually.

(Monroe County)

Years ago, I found a single burner camp stove that runs on denatured alcohol at a thrift store in Rehoboth. It's not exactly small enough for backpacking, but would serve well in a pinch. It's about 7" square and about 3" thick, almost the size of an electric hotplate.

(Monroe County)

I never understood those old stoves. I thought they used something like gasoline!
    I'm sure that's what my parents used when I was VERY young, but later switched to the propane cylinders.

The white gas\coleman fuel is not propane. Comes in a gallon can. Later on Coleman came out with a series that could use the white gas\coleman fuel or ACTUAL gasoline. I have a camp light version of that as well for emergency.

(Bucks County)

White gas/coleman fuel is a liquid and looks like gasoline, it comes in the 1 gallon square can you used to see at every campsite. White gas has a lower boiling point than gasoline so any spills evaporate faster. Coleman does make a dual fuel stove you can run with white gas or gasoline but these are full sized 2 burner camp stoves. And they are almost obsolete, it is getting harder to find Coleman fuel

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    If you want cheap and easy look up Penny stove or alcohol stove. Plus the alcohol can be used for other stuff. REDCAMP Mini Alcohol Stove for Backpacking, Lightweight Brass Spirit Burner with Aluminium Stand for Camping Hiking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794NZXZG...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I think a penny style alcohol stove might be the one to use in this situation. They are small, only weigh a couple of ounces and work surprising well. And you can make one in an hour for free! These stoves have a disadvantage that you can't just turn them on or off but but they can get a quart of water boiling surprisingly fast. There are thousands of designs out there but the original penny stove is the easiest to make and works well. You need to use a design that "self pressurizes" so you can see the little flame jets. They burn hotter and are more efficient. I briefly looked at the Redcamp stove but I would have to research it more since it is an open design that usually doesn't work as well. And one person said it took 12 minutes for a quart of water. The pressurized designs can boil it in half the time.

This will get you started but there are hundreds more.

https://www.luckybelly.com/how-to-ma...alcohol-stove/

(Pike County)

An Esbit portable emergency stove sounds like it would fit the bill for you. Small, extremely portable, solid fuel source so no worries about pressurized gas canister. They're on the pricier side but if you just want a "just in case" no fire fuel source to heat food, this would work.

https://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultrali...dp/B001C1UGVO/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast