Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Where can I have a gun re-blued in SEPA?

Looking for a smith to re-blue a few items I inherited. Can’t find anybody in the Montco/bucks area that re-blues anymore. I used a smith behind target world to do an old marlin I had a while back but they’re no longer around. Anybody have a trusted smith they use?

(York County)

Default Re: Where can I have a gun re-blued in SEPA?

I've Blued several myself with good results using Birchwood Casey perma blue paste.

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/produ...2-oz-tube.html

available at WalMart
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/BIRCHWOOD...-2-OZ/23238441

(Bucks County)

There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

I used to refinish firearms in a commercial shop. I didn't carry it over to my own shop because the chemicals are very caustic and difficult dispose of. The salty steam produced from the process will rust the light fixtures' right off the ceiling. The most crucial ingredient is the prep work. Polishing firearms in prep for bluing requires an expert touch. If bubbah does it, the screw holes get dished out, the markings get wiped off and the gun will look like ass.

Likewise, the cold blue junk sold in stores, is meant at best for knocking the worst off a scratch here or there. That stuff is not meant to blue an entire gun. It has no protective value or durability and goes to shit pretty quickly. Even in the case of a professional refinish, pits eaten into the metal cannot be removed and will always be visible. They can be minimized by a restoration like the work done by Turnbull, but at a cost of thousands of dollars.

I've had lots of customers over the years that wanted a passed down family firearm "reblued". My advice is leave it the way grandad left it. Every scratch, bump and character mark are testaments to its journey with your relative.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I used to refinish firearms in a commercial shop. I didn't carry it over to my own shop because the chemicals are very caustic and difficult dispose of. The salty steam produced from the process will rust the light fixtures' right off the ceiling. The most crucial ingredient is the prep work. Polishing firearms in prep for bluing requires an expert touch. If bubbah does it, the screw holes get dished out, the markings get wiped off and the gun will look like ass.

Likewise, the cold blue junk sold in stores, is meant at best for knocking the worst off a scratch here or there. That stuff is not meant to blue an entire gun. It has no protective value or durability and goes to shit pretty quickly. Even in the case of a professional refinish, pits eaten into the metal cannot be removed and will always be visible. They can be minimized by a restoration like the work done by Turnbull, but at a cost of thousands of dollars.

I've had lots of customers over the years that wanted a passed down family firearm "reblued". My advice is leave it the way grandad left it. Every scratch, bump and character mark are testaments to its journey with your relative.

I*m definitely a big time diy guy, but not for this. I know when it*s worth it to hire someone to do a job for me. Just finding somebody that still hot blues that*s local is going to be the biggest hurdle I go through