Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default What to expect from an RMR Sight?

I am planning to get a Springfield XD M 3.8 Elite in 45 Acp. What I am not sure about presently is whether I should get a reflex sight or stick with stock sights. Maybe some of you could help me know what to expect before I make my purchase.
    Thanks, Isaac

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What to expect from an RMR Sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I am planning to get a Springfield XD M 3.8 Elite in 45 Acp. What I am not sure about presently is whether I should get a reflex sight or stick with stock sights. Maybe some of you could help me know what to expect before I make my purchase.
    Thanks, Isaac
    I think it has been discussed before. I seem to recall most people like them (myself included), but some wouldn't use one for an EDC (myself included again). If you train with it enough I could see it working fine for an EDC, but for me it takes longer to acquire the target so I have them on range guns only.

Eta: I don't know about the Springfield, but the gun I have one on has higher stock sights that can still be used with the RMR. I am assuming all these new handguns that are optic ready would be the same.

(Montgomery County)

You won't know until you try. I'd say get a lower-cost option to see so your investment is lower. The Holosun 407/507C series is the strongest competitor.

You'll most likely enjoy it.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks DK. I know that some of the guns that are optic ready also offer sights that co-witness but the one I am lookin go at unfortunately does not, so I’d have to get some after market ones to co-witness. My concern is getting a gun with the RMR sight only to find that it was a waste of money because it slowed me down or took to long to acquire a good sight picture. My guess is I will have to purchase an RMR and put a lot of time in before getting comfortable with it. Probably only one way to tell.
    Thanks again.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    Thanks DK. I know that some of the guns that are optic ready also offer sights that co-witness but the one I am lookin go at unfortunately does not, so I*d have to get some after market ones to co-witness. My concern is getting a gun with the RMR sight only to find that it was a waste of money because it slowed me down or took to long to acquire a good sight picture. My guess is I will have to purchase an RMR and put a lot of time in before getting comfortable with it. Probably only one way to tell.
    Thanks again.
    Yep, that is the best way. I've shot a few hundred rounds with mine and still don't feel comfortable enough using it as an EDC. But it is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot!

And thanks, I couldn't remember the word 'co-witness'.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    You won't know until you try. I'd say get a lower-cost option to see so your investment is lower. The Holosun 407/507C series is the strongest competitor.

You'll most likely enjoy it.

Specifically the Holosun 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. It's got a "circle" around the main dot that draws your eye into the site and lets you know if you're improperly lined up. Much faster acquisition over a regular red/green dot site.

Now if they'd only offer it in a 507k format for subcompacts.

(Lackawanna County)

A reflex sight highlights everything you do wrong on your draw and index. It’s going to take a bit of training to relearn and fix those problems. If you’re willing to put in the time you can be a better shooter

(Bucks County)

The automatic adjustment is noticeably faster on the Holosun 507c. I compared the two side by side and was surprised that the RMR was slower and cost almost double.

The optional reticles are nice and I found that the holosun style reticle was easier to acquire as someone new to mounting red dots in handguns.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Specifically the Holosun 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. It's got a "circle" around the main dot that draws your eye into the site and lets you know if you're improperly lined up. Much faster acquisition over a regular red/green dot site.

Now if they'd only offer it in a 507k format for subcompacts.
    This is the way. I have 6 pistols with dots and have shot a lot of rounds through them. This dot is by far the fastest for me, and I prefer the chevron reticle.