Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Any gurus on solar panels for charging batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    If I were building something for myself, I'd probably go with 2 to 4 deep cycle marine batteries hooked up in parallel with a 1500W inverter, and here's why.

If a battery goes bad, I can replace it, for about $120 with another one from a common source. I won't need to go out and try to find a specially built battery for a device such as that Jackery. Who knows where they're going to be 6 months from now. That's the problem with many of these chinese products.

You can use any solar panel with a charge controller to maintain those batteries. A 1500W inverter would be enough to run a fridge for a while, considering that the output of a normal 120VAC15A outlet is around 1800W. But normally you're only supposed to draw around 80% of the max or 1440W. If I recall correctly.

Putting batteries in parallel means that the voltage (12V) remains the same, but the current is additive.

Four 12V1000Wh batteries in parallel gives you 12V@4000Wh.

Putting batteries in series means the voltage is additive, but the current remains the same.

Four 12V1000Wh batteries in series gives you 48V@1000Wh which isn't really useful in the home environment.

All of that could be easily built and configured for much less than $1000.
    This is what I do at camp. I overkill for fringe cases by using Eight deep-cycle 12V batteries with a 200w solar charger. There's a 1500w inverter for fridge and rare microwave/other-AC needs but you don't want to try to run the fridge from room temp down to cooling temp on batteries, use the generator for that. Also, I have a dual-fuel generator and 300lb of propane in various sized bottles that can store for years. There are gasoline cans that mostly fuel the ATVs/tractors/etc. and cycle through each season since they can go bad but are available in an emergency.

This of course feeds a primary 12V RV and the DC/AC conversion loss isn't as important. All lights converted to LEDs, TVs/DVD/heater-blower/etc. are all 12V. The generator runs maybe 3-4 weeks of the year, mostly during cold/overcast days..
    SigGendered

(Wyoming County)

I don't know nothing, but I was under the impression that most commonly found Marine batteries aren't truly deep cycles (more of a hybrid).

Diehard RV battery users always recommend 6 volt golf cart batteries. (Trojan rings a bell)

@ Streaker
    Yes Mr. Ohm I know W=A x V.

But you start throwing mA in the equation it's too much 🙂

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I don't know nothing, but I was under the impression that most commonly found Marine batteries aren't truly deep cycles (more of a hybrid).

Diehard RV battery users always recommend 6 volt golf cart batteries. (Trojan rings a bell)

@ Streaker
    Yes Mr. Ohm I know W=A x V.

But you start throwing mA in the equation it's too much ��
    I never said that W = A x V, I said W = V x A

Sorry if the nomenclature cornfused you.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Luzerne County)

https://www.turbinegenerator.org/solar/pennsylvania/

I would still keep this in mind.

Also, Lifepo discharge and recharge rates would be better than marine batteries.
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Solar sucks compared to generators except that genny's need gas and gas storage is a royal pain in the ass (IMHO)

For what GL is looking for- I humbly opine that ~100 watt solar panel will accomplish his needs.

I purchased a folding portable 100 watt do-it-all (controller built in) unit that I throw on my RV when boondocking. It supplements the RV batteries well enough that I haven't felt the need for more.

I am math stupid. It doesn't help when they advertise some crap in Watts, and other stuff in amps...FFS
    I have a gas-only generator - it is at #1 son's house, because I bought a dual-fuel (propane +gas) generator. It cost a couple hundred more, but propane does NOT go bad. You can buy propane tanks all day long on craigslist.
    Keep them painted + dry and they last a long long time.

Some lumberyards and RV centers charge FAR less to refill than the big box places.

Since NW PA is gloomy all the time, I never explored solar.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Mercer County)

For a while I saw the prepper types were fond of using lead acid batteries designed for electric golf carts. Not sure if that is still a thing or not.

Tim

If anyone has a gasoline generator and would like to convert it to run on propane, there are YouTube videos on how to do that. Apparently it's not hard up to about 12 hp.
    I looked into doing that years ago but wound up getting a whole house Generac so I sold the small generator I had.
    Google "convert a small gas engine to run on propane"
    Last edited by Boots_DE; January 16th, 2022 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Clarity
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boots_DE View Post
    If anyone has a gasoline generator and would like to convert it to run on propane, there are YouTube videos on how to do that. Apparently it's not hard up to about 12 hp.
    I looked into doing that years ago but wound up getting a whole house Generac so I sold the small generator I had.
    Google "convert a small gas engine to run on propane"
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=generator
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I'm late to the party, but I'm one of those solar/battery people. I build solar systems and lithium modules for RVs and thought I'd share some of my more fun projects:

480 amp-hour 12.8V rolling case (I have one of these in my RV and under my Ham Radio desk):

u7D7Ycyl.jpg

One of two 12kWh 51.2V modules for a 50-foot long 5th wheel:

YVe3ilSl.jpg

and the twin 10kW inverters pushing out a 240V split phase for the rig:

jNPpvV8l.jpg

There are 2kW worth of solar panels on the roof (I don't have a picture unfortunately)

I'll happily answer all things electrical when it comes to solar, batteries, and inverters

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ehidle View Post
    I'm late to the party, but I'm one of those solar/battery people. I build solar systems and lithium modules for RVs and thought I'd share some of my more fun projects:

480 amp-hour 12.8V rolling case (I have one of these in my RV and under my Ham Radio desk):

u7D7Ycyl.jpg

One of two 12kWh 51.2V modules for a 50-foot long 5th wheel:

YVe3ilSl.jpg

and the twin 10kW inverters pushing out a 240V split phase for the rig:

jNPpvV8l.jpg

There are 2kW worth of solar panels on the roof (I don't have a picture unfortunately)

I'll happily answer all things electrical when it comes to solar, batteries, and inverters
    If you are knowledgeable, I have some questions for you. I have a large array on my garage roof and would like to get setup for a quick diversion of generated power to a battery bank of some sort in the event of a long term power outage. I am pretty sure that a full bank to power my house would be cost prohibitive and inefficient but I would like enough to keep my stuff charged and maybe run the TV and some LED lights, if possible. Is there an easy, cost effective way to do this?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast