Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "No guns" sign at Don Guanella park in Delaware County - where does this go?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    No doubt verboten in the snowflake era, but we used to do the Don Guanella cheer (Note: Don Guanella was a school for mentally challenged kids):

Spoken in a "slow person" voice...

"Clap your hands" (physically stomp your feet three times)
    "Stomp your feet" (physically clap your hands three times)
    "Don Guanella can't be beat"
    "We're #1! (hold up two fingers, i.e., make a 'V')

Yeah, I know, terrible!
    I remember that one.. We're all goin to hell.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: "No guns" sign at Don Guanella park in Delaware County - where does this go?

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I remember that one.. We're all goin to hell.
    See you guys there.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

There were some urban myths about that property.
    The chop shop, cars from all over the county, once the operation was discovered, poof they disappeared over night, allegedly an unofficial relationship with some municipality
    Serial killer from the school, either a student or or staff. Preyed on the unfortunates and buried them in the woods behind the school
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

As of November 17, 2021 the county didn't acquire the property yet. To own it now was inexplicably fast. How did they go through the courts for eminent domain so fast?

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    There were some urban myths about that property.
    The chop shop, cars from all over the county, once the operation was discovered, poof they disappeared over night, allegedly an unofficial relationship with some municipality
    Serial killer from the school, either a student or or staff. Preyed on the unfortunates and buried them in the woods behind the school
    Never heard of the serial killer, but there were a ton of cars back there.

(Montgomery County)

Email the parks and rec director or other party in charge (usually a google search will turn this info up) and use something similar to the letter I send when I see pre-emption violations. I've successfully had quite a few signs changed in different townships (and some requests ignored, admittedly).

Dear XXX,

While walking in the XXX Park today I noticed a pair of signs (photo attached) at that are out of compliance due to the line (#5) about prohibiting firearms. I wanted to let you know why this is the case and why it matters.

Pennsylvania's Uniform Firearms Act (UFA), section 6120(a), directs that "[n]o county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms . . . ." 18 Pa. C.S. § 6120(a).

Because the UFA does not specify any prohibition of firearms in parks, it is not legal for a township/borough to post a sign that states anything contrary to the state law. This section of the UFA is extremely important to law abiding citizens who carry firearms to prevent confusion and a patch work of laws across our state's many local governments.

Instead of replacing the signs, the line about firearms can be permanently covered. But as it currently stands, the sign (and any accompanying ordinance) is illegal and a detriment to people who legally carry firearms.

Please let me know your plans to address this issue. I appreciate your time! Feel free to get in touch to discuss more if you'd like.

Thank you,
    XXX

(Delaware County)

Prohibite:
    Boisterous conduct! I take that as "no slightly loud having fun!"

No groups of 10 or more? What if two families of 5 get together?

What sad lonely person thought these up?
    Last edited by dartagnan; January 5th, 2022 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Spelling/grammer - oye vey

The last rule should literally be, no fun having.
    LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12