Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Enfield's

(Cumberland County)

Default Enfield's

I bought 4 Enfield's a few years back from a guy as a bundle Gave one to my brother, sold one, and now I might sell another to a friend.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about them, and was looking to see if these are what I think they are and if there is anything
    special about them - which I don't think there is. They are obviously Enfield's, 2A in 7.62x51. Are
    they Ishapore's - I don't know how to tell. One has a peep sight - I think
    it's a fairly good one - Parker Hale. Not sure if I want to keep both or set one free to someone that's been wanting
    one - lol.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Enfield's

They are Ishapores, I suspect the rear peep sight was added here in the states.

(Lehigh County)

If I recall correctly the easiest way was to look at the end of the barrel as the original Ishapores, had a different shape (square vs round) than the English guns, but I forget which is which. Will see if I can dust off the brain and get back. Since these are rebuilt to 7.62 that may not be a valid method.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

The stamp on the receiver is RFI. ( rifle factory ishapore)

(York County)

Go to Gunboards, there are some very knowledgeable people there who can tell you way more than you want to know about them. There is or was an entire forum just for the Lee Enfield rifles.

And yes, both of these rifles are the 2A type Lee Enfields made in India in 7.62 NATO cartridge. Do not hot rod the ammo put through these rifles. The actions are not up to excessive pressure loads. Advice is to stick to milspec NATO ammo or to handloads on the mid to lower end of the data.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    And yes, both of these rifles are the 2A type Lee Enfields made in India in 7.62 NATO cartridge. Do not hot rod the ammo put through these rifles. The actions are not up to excessive pressure loads. Advice is to stick to milspec NATO ammo or to handloads on the mid to lower end of the data.
    x2 on nothing hot. When they say 7.62 with these, they do mean 7.62...not commercial 308.

(Elk County)

Cruzans:

Something to consider, the RFI 2A was built in 1963-65 and only several thousand 2A rifles were made (reports vary from 12,000 to 20,000). The "improved" 2A1 was made starting in 1965 through 1974, and MANY more of them were produced vs. the 2A; reported 2A1 production ranged between 240,000 and almost 300,000. IIWM, I'd give away the one with the receiver sight as it's been drilled and tapped and thus the value killed. I'd hang on to the unmolested 2A because I see Enfield collectors recognizing them for what they are - truly scarce, and prices going up on 2A versions.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Philadelphia County)

I swear about 1/4 of the weight of those rifles is nothing but the old grease in the wood and black paint on the metal.

(Northampton County)

The only difference between the 2a and 2a1 is that the original had a sight graduated to 2000 yards or meters (can*t remember) and the a1 only went out to 800.

The rear sight on yours is a Parker Hale PH5a. It was a very common target sight introduced in 1925. There was a 5b for the P14 Enfield and a 5c for the Rifle No. 4, the main differences being the sight base for the different rifles and graduation marks.

The large screw on the side of the mount is incorrect. There*s also supposed to be a small coil spring between the sight base and the safety replacing the factory spring so the safety will be able to move.

I have one of each of the sights so if you want some close up pictures let me know.

Lots of info here: https://www.rifleman.org.uk/PH_Service_sights.html

Stuart