Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: JSDsupply owner buys Eagle Shows

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    I joined the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society and, while it*s a different and smaller show, for $25/yr I can go to every one of their shows with my son for free and with early admission.
    You're concerned about price of admission, but you go to the Forks of the Delaware show? Last one of those I went to, the prices were ridiculously high. Ludicrously high. Like fucking Pluto high.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    You're concerned about price of admission, but you go to the Forks of the Delaware show? Last one of those I went to, the prices were ridiculously high. Ludicrously high. Like fucking Pluto high.
    I'm not so much concerned, I'm offering a suggestion with the logic behind my suggestion.
    (If I read this correctly there was a request for suggestions): "If you have a suggestion we'd love to take a look at it."

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I'm not so much concerned, I'm offering a suggestion with the logic behind my suggestion.
    (If I read this correctly there was a request for suggestions): "If you have a suggestion we'd love to take a look at it."
    I'm not sure how much more they can do. As mentioned, the market is cooling. The panic buying of the pandemic is over. Supply at LGS is back to pre-pandemic levels - for the most part. Prices are higher across the board.

I don't frequent gun shows anymore because they rarely have what I'm looking for, which is the odd used gun. If I want something new, I can go to my LGS or online and probably get it for a bit less than any gun show. That used to not be the case, but things have shifted quite a bit in the last 20+ years. There's nothing the promoter can do to change that. If I go to a gun show these days, it's because I'm bored and need the exercise.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I'm not sure how much more they can do. As mentioned, the market is cooling. The panic buying of the pandemic is over. Supply at LGS is back to pre-pandemic levels - for the most part. Prices are higher across the board.

I don't frequent gun shows anymore because they rarely have what I'm looking for, which is the odd used gun. If I want something new, I can go to my LGS or online and probably get it for a bit less than any gun show. That used to not be the case, but things have shifted quite a bit in the last 20+ years. There's nothing the promoter can do to change that. If I go to a gun show these days, it's because I'm bored and need the exercise.
    That pretty well sums up my feelings about the subject. I like going to look at cool stuff just to see what's available. When reloading components were still reasonably priced I always walked away with primers and projectiles that I bought for fair prices, but when the panic happened and the supply dried up the prices went through the roof. I still didn't mind paying $5 - $6 for admission, I looked forward to buying some good jerky and pickles, stuff that isn't available in the typical outlets like grocery stores. It was something to do on a Saturday afternoon. Even if I didn't buy much or anything at all it was sort of a "social event". The guy with all of the small tools, (Dremel bits, tweezers, picks and other small stuff that isn't available all in one place like your typical hardware stores or LGS), has passed away so the availability of those little goodies is is gone. The guy with all of the rare, (and common), cartridges, (Jimmy Hoffmaster), has passed away so that source is gone as well. So far I haven't seen anyone step in to fill those voids.
    Some people bitch about pickles and jerky, but I look forward to gun shows for the selection of those things. Where else can you buy venison or elk jerky? Where else can you find a good selection of fresh home made pickles? I also like the availability of unique T shirts that are 2A themed. There are other things that I'm not particularly interested in, but I know how to walk past those tables without bitching about them being there with stuff I don't want.
    Someone suggested that if you can't afford $10.00 to go to a gun show you have more pressing financial problems. I agree, but the cost of everything is going up and not everyone's income is going up enough to compensate so people trim a little bit here & there and admission to enter a place to spend money is a prime target for trimming a budget, especially when the prices of almost everything at that event have skyrocketed due to circumstances beyond the control of the vendors.
    $200.00 isn't much to some people and $10.00 admission is only .5% of their allotted $200.00, which is virtually nothing and $50.00 is a lot to some other people and 20% of that will seem like a pretty big bite of their available funds.

(Luzerne County)

Oh come on ... I cannot believe the crying over a few dollars for show admission.
    About on par with tix to a movie, for about the same length of entertainment.

If money is that tight, they really shouldn't be going to a gun show.

I don't believe folks go to a gun show thinking they are going to get a bargain deal on commodity items (ammo, powder, primers, current gun models ...). Usually just the opposite is true - premium prices at shows.

We go to gun shows hoping to see something our LGS's don't stock or used items ... and being entertained.

If paying a couple extra dollars admission keeps a gun show in business, we should be happy ... every year we have less alternatives.

As for declining business, remember the last 3-4 years were extraordinary times for everything ... including the gun business.
    The mistake is thinking that is "the norm".

To fault the promoter as the reason business is down is lame.

Times are a changing ... like it or not, online sales will continue to be a larger part of retail business in almost all sectors.
    If your current business model isn't profitable, don't whine ... reassess your business plans & make the necessary changes.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mokoitis View Post
    Oh come on ... I cannot believe the crying over a few dollars for show admission.
    About on par with tix to a movie, for about the same length of entertainment.

If money is that tight, they really shouldn't be going to a gun show.

I don't believe folks go to a gun show thinking they are going to get a bargain deal on commodity items (ammo, powder, primers, current gun models ...). Usually just the opposite is true - premium prices at shows.

We go to gun shows hoping to see something our LGS's don't stock or used items ... and being entertained.

If paying a couple extra dollars admission keeps a gun show in business, we should be happy ... every year we have less alternatives.

As for declining business, remember the last 3-4 years were extraordinary times for everything ... including the gun business.
    The mistake is thinking that is "the norm".

To fault the promoter as the reason business is down is lame.

Times are a changing ... like it or not, online sales will continue to be a larger part of retail business in almost all sectors.
    If your current business model isn't profitable, don't whine ... reassess your business plans & make the necessary changes.
    Oh come on ... I can't believe you can't understand the meaning to my reply. I'm not whining, crying or complaining. There was an open question for suggestions and opinions. I responded and gave logical reasoning for my opinion. Prices of everything are going up and that can't be helped. Admission to a gun show is a deterrent to attendees and attendees are essential to the vendors. I've talked to many vendors at our local show through the years and their major complaints are that there aren't as many shoppers and those who are there aren't spending much money. Things are tough all over! If it's going to cost money to get into a place to spend money that tales away from the spending power of those entering the venue. Some people say "If you can't afford the admission fee you shouldn't be buying ammo. NO SHIT! A basic rule of business is sell more for less profit per unit and sell more units for a higher overall profit. I'm simply offering my suggestion to keep the price down to attract more buyers. More buyers will attract more vendors. More vendors will attract more buyers, and the cycle continues.
    Drive people away with higher prices and vendors will notice lower attendance through lower profit.
    The promoters have overhead to deal with and I'm sure a huge part of that overhead is advertising. Rental of the venue can't be cheap and I'm sure insurance of some sort plays a part in overall cost. All of those things have gotten more expensive and will continue to increase the cost of promoting these shows. It's in everyone's best interest to attract as much interest as possible and that is why the question was asked in the first place. A free show would attract a MUCH bigger crowd, but that isn't a realistic option for many reasons. I did mention that free parking is a plus at the Lebanon show. If someone had to pay $9.00 admission and $8.00 to park it would turn a LOT of people away. I'm not saying I can't afford to pay the price for admission or that it is keeping me away, I'm saying that I can see how increased cost to attend will keep some people away. I've been there, money can be tight and many things need to be considered. It appears as though the "gun grabbers" can't take our passion away from us, but they sure as hell are trying to make it as inconvenient as possible. That inconvenience comes with higher prices all around and that will stymie a lot of "would be" enthusiasts. A $1.00 increase in admission isn't much, but when it happens once or twice a year it adds up. If you haven't been to a show for several years and you hear of one within a few weeks then find out that the price of admission has doubled you might think "Fuck it, I don't need to go this year. I've missed a few, one more ain't gonna hurt me."
    The days of $4.00 admission are gone, so are the days of 89¢ gasoline and 99¢ ground beef.
    I'm not complaining, I'm just stating what I believe to be a legitimate suggestion in response to a legitimate request for feedback.
    I hope you can understand that I'm not arguing with anyone, I'm not complaining and I do understand how businesses work.
    I'm sorry this got so wordy, but some people need to have things spelled out in intricate detail and they still can't grasp the meaning of simple sentences.
    I ain't bitching, I'm just replying to a request.
    Do you remember the R.I.F. program? (Reading is Fundamental). It was started in the mid 1960s and was intended to encourage children to read. It was also intended to get those children to understand what they were reading. Comprehension is important. Go back and read what I wrote in previous posts and try to understand the meaning of the words I wrote.

(Luzerne County)

Sure sounds like whining to me.

No need to get personal.

My previous commment was not responding to your particular posts, but a response to ALL the other similar cries.

I stand by my original post.

Now when is that next OAKS Show?

(Philadelphia County)

I went today. $15 entrance fee. The increase has been explained. But I just don*t get the tip jar next to the register.

Please tip the women who are working so hard taking your $15. Sometimes they have to make change of a $20.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I went today. $15 entrance fee. The increase has been explained. But I just don*t get the tip jar next to the register.

Please tip the women who are working so hard taking your $15. Sometimes they have to make change of a $20.

You probably saw me. I was there from 09:00 to 11:00 or so. I was the handsome guy. I got a Magpul forend for my Mossberg 590A1, an iwb holster for a Glock 45 MOS with optic (MK-Tek Holsters - super friendly people), and a t-shirt that said *Just A Dad Trying Not To Raise Liberals*. I*m looking forward to wearing the t-shirt at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456