Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun transfer question

I’m selling a handgun tomorrow and transferring at an FFL. When we purchased the gun we put it in my wife’s name because it was going to be here carry gun. My question is, does my wife need to be present when I sell it? Thanks for the help

Default Re: Gun transfer question

Good question, but I doubt it. She could have given it to you as a gift which there
    is no need for transfer.

If you aren't prohibited, and your wife is fine with you selling it. Then you are good to go.
    Edit: made the assumption you and your wife are a pennsylvania residents. If you are, then yes your good to go
    Last edited by SIGFAN86; December 31st, 2021 at 09:23 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemiller69gs View Post
    I*m selling a handgun tomorrow and transferring at an FFL. When we purchased the gun we put it in my wife*s name because it was going to be here carry gun. My question is, does my wife need to be present when I sell it? Thanks for the help
    What the two above posts said.. and don't go out of your way to suggest the gun is actually your wife's gun. It doesn't matter, you have permission from her to sell it so it's your gun to sell, complete the transfer paperwork as such and that's it.

If you're still on the fence and you and your wife are not prohibited and are both PA residents then have her gift the gun to you, which in PA means that she just hands the gun to you as a gift, no paperwork, no notary, no witnesses required. The reason you can do this is because spouse to spouse transfer without an FFL is allowed in PA for PA residents.

Good luck with the sale,

(Montgomery County)

She does not need to be present. No need to mention it or worry.

The reason why is because transfers between spouses are exempt from the FFL requirement.

(Centre County)

When you go to the FFL to do the transfer, you will have to fill out Section F (Sellers Information) of the PSP Form SP4-113 Application/Record of Sale (that is the form your wife would have filled out when she originally got the gun and did the background check). Your info, not hers, in Section F is not a big deal, it can be easily explained if anyone ever questioned it (very doubtful it would ever happen but if so - your wife decided she didn't want the gun so she gave it to you - perfectly legal in PA)

As said, just don't say anything about it being hers, some FFL's especially older ones, just can't wrap their heads around some of the laws - because they think they know all the laws (and they don't) or are Fudds.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    When you go to the FFL to do the transfer, you will have to fill out Section F (Sellers Information) of the PSP Form SP4-113 Application/Record of Sale (that is the form your wife would have filled out when she originally got the gun and did the background check). Your info, not hers, in Section F is not a big deal, it can be easily explained if anyone ever questioned it (very doubtful it would ever happen but if so - your wife decided she didn't want the gun so she gave it to you - perfectly legal in PA)

As said, just don't say anything about it being hers, some FFL's especially older ones, just can't wrap their heads around some of the laws - because they think they know all the laws (and they don't) or are Fudds.

Thank you all for the help. No issues with the transfer today at all. My only reason for concern was that I was meeting a buddy 90 minutes away from home to transfer and didnt want to bring my wife allong for the journey if it wasn't necessary. Plus, if I saw something interesting, I didn't want my wife encouraging the purchase. She is a bad influence! Thanks again to all.

Mike

(Centre County)

.... I didn't want my wife encouraging the purchase. She is a bad influence! Thanks again to all.

Mike
    Wait, what????
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Butler County)

Thank you all for the help. No issues with the transfer today at all. My only reason for concern was that I was meeting a buddy 90 minutes away from home to transfer and didnt want to bring my wife allong for the journey if it wasn't necessary. Plus, if I saw something interesting, I didn't want my wife encouraging the purchase. She is a bad influence! Thanks again to all.

Mike
    Yeah that doesn't compute, sounds like the perfect time for x-mas goodies for everyone.
    -Brandon

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by archie19 View Post
    Wait, what????
    Had to have been sarcasm, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast