Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Which compact 45?

I plan to purchase a compact 45 acp for edc. I have not yet handled any of them, but I have done a reasonable amount of online research and have interest in the Glock 30 S and the Springfield XD compact. I prefer not to go below a 4” barrel due to the impressive recoil that comes with a 45. Should I pull the trigger and get one of these guns, or are there better options out there. The only real thing that I am set on is that it must be a 45 and I need it to be something I can conceal. My edc has been a Ruger max 9, which I will be giving to my wife very soon, so any input will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Isaac.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Which compact 45?

The G30 S is a subcompact with 3.78" barrel. I have an older G30 and it shoots really well and the recoil isn't too bad. It is pretty heavy for such a small handgun though. You don't mention capacity, but 1911's come in compact and subcompact sizes. I have a Sig 1911 Ultra that shoots well and is lighter/smaller than my G30. As always, it would be beneficial to shoot them first to decide which suits you the best.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the reply DK. I plan to stay away from 1911 and stick with polymer striker fired guns. So that glock is a little shy of 4” I wouldn’t want to go any smaller than that. My friend showed me his G30 S today and although a little small, I think I could be okay with it. It’s only approximately a quarter inch difference.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I plan to purchase a compact 45 acp for edc. I have not yet handled any of them, but I have done a reasonable amount of online research and have interest in the Glock 30 S and the Springfield XD compact. I prefer not to go below a 4* barrel due to the impressive recoil that comes with a 45. Should I pull the trigger and get one of these guns, or are there better options out there. The only real thing that I am set on is that it must be a 45 and I need it to be something I can conceal. My edc has been a Ruger max 9, which I will be giving to my wife very soon, so any input will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks, Isaac.
    I own, carry and am very happy with my M&P Shield .45

For EDC I value slimness greatly, and it's good on that count. I have the extended mag which gives 7+1 IIRC. More rounds would mean double-stack/thicker which doesn't work for me.

I believe it's <4" barrel, but I've not found the kick too bad.
    DGAF

(Clearfield County)

Glock 30 with night sights.

(Allegheny County)

I would be looking at the Glock 30S if a "sub compact" .45 was what I wanted.

Good luck on your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks fir all the replies! I’m going to call a few Gun dealers and see what they have in stock. I need to handle a few before I make my decision. Sometimes things look good when you are researching guns online, but there is nothing like actually handling the gun in person.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

The 30 is thicker, but that helps keep the recoil down. I was pleasantly surprised at the lower amount of recoil. Much less than I expected.

(Susquehanna County)

As far as triggers, is one of these better than the other?

(Chester County)

I carried the Glock 30 for awhile at work. I also had a personal one I occasionally carried off duty. I wanted to like it but I couldn*t. For me, personally, it was too blocky. I didn*t like my pinky finger hanging off while doing reloads. The pearce base plates are better regarding your grip. If I was going to buy a .45, I*d get a S&W M&P 2.0 45 compact (4 inch barrel, 10 round grip).

"The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast