Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Default Re: Do you train with a shot timer?

Yes, when the sun goes down I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I use a timer the majority of the time I*m shooting a handgun outside of competition.

I like to set the beep to random start to initiate whatever I*m doing. Gives me an outside stimulation to react to.

I usually shoot a standard drill, like the FBI qual, where your strings of fire have par times. I think par times, personal or organizational, are important for evaluating performance and goal setting.

My goal is to always do gun things faster, but this in no way is meant to over ride the speed of my decision making ability, which is what I think you*re really driving at.

I*m sure plenty of people using timers don*t get that, but in general I think most people should have a timer in their range bag. Using one will provide you with more information about your shooting, and you can do with that info as you wish.
    That's what I was driving at, I should have been more clear on that. If shooting a qualification there should certainly be a par time and a way to keep track of it. My issue is with the people who think split times and par times are the be all end all. Like you shoot a par time of 2.5 seconds and mines 2.6 so I suck and have to shoot X number of practice rounds chasing that 2.5.

(Elk County)

Nope. Never used a timer. I just toss them back, down in one gulp.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
    That's what I was driving at, I should have been more clear on that. If shooting a qualification there should certainly be a par time and a way to keep track of it. My issue is with the people who think split times and par times are the be all end all. Like you shoot a par time of 2.5 seconds and mines 2.6 so I suck and have to shoot X number of practice rounds chasing that 2.5.
    There is so much more to it than that. Do you know what your draw time to first shot is? Draw from concealment vs open? Chasing splits is ridiculous. I can rip off a .14 split but the only time it does me any good is during a competition. But what I do know is my accuracy suffers and I can pick up on what an acceptable cadence is for distances.

Too many people fear the timer just like shooting competitively because they’re afraid to be exposed

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post

Too many people fear the timer just like shooting competitively because they*re afraid to be exposed
    Ran and competed in timed events back in the day. Watched Military and L.E. trained shooters come unglued at the sound of the buzzer.
    The one thing that we have a hard time duplicating in practice is the most important factor in real life shootings. The pressure of the situation and adrenaline dump caused by the situation. If the buzzer just adds a small part of the rush it is worth it to train with it.

My timing device at my age is now a calendar, no complaints just facing the facts. One thing as I think back that is comforting is that outside of the clown/bull fighter days everything else has happened in near slow motion.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Allegheny County)

My son uses a shot timer to humiliate me at the range

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    My son uses a shot timer to humiliate me at the range
    Ha, yeah, my son-in-law is an active duty Marine Raider. He uses a shot timer when we go to the range and routinely smokes me with time and accuracy...as I would expect.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Ran and competed in timed events back in the day. Watched Military and L.E. trained shooters come unglued at the sound of the buzzer.
    The one thing that we have a hard time duplicating in practice is the most important factor in real life shootings. The pressure of the situation and adrenaline dump caused by the situation. If the buzzer just adds a small part of the rush it is worth it to train with it.

My timing device at my age is now a calendar, no complaints just facing the facts. One thing as I think back that is comforting is that outside of the clown/bull fighter days everything else has happened in near slow motion.
    The best I've got for simulating stress is running a few suicides or sprinting up the hill next to the range but this only can be done on private land, and most people don't enjoy that luxury. At static ranges where one has rapport you may ask if you can do some jumping jacks or pushups to elevate your heart rate between sets which can help with simulating and overcoming stress but it still isn't the same as a full on adrenaline dump. It does help with controlled breathing which does help with managing your heart rate.

Insofar as shot timers are concerned, it's all in how you use it. Sure, you can make it about racing the clock and chasing splits but I've always viewed it as a tool to measure consistency. If you can't draw and get a few shots on target with consistent timing it could indicate that either a) you need to practice more, or b) you have an issue with your gear or setup. It's also a good tool for identifying trigger freeze, poor muzzle flip control or poor sight picture acquisition when comparing splits. I shot IDPA for a while and had to consistently remind others that I wasn't there competing against them. I was handicapped to 6+1 running my EDC so "winning" was never really on the table, it was more about getting dynamic range time to identify and address any kinks or bugs in my kit or execution.
    Home brewing; because Jeeps and ammunition aren't cheap. WILL WORK FOR AMMO & FIREARMS!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12