Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Other peoples reloads (shoot or not?)

I only shoot my reloads . there is one friend of mine that I would shoot his but no others.

Like others have said you dont know how the stuff was put together.

(Lancaster County)

There's no way on this earth I would shoot those reloads! Not to disparage the reloader but there's not excuse to neck up .338 WM brass when 7mm Rem brass would have been easily available at that time. To load them with split necks is an extreme lack of attention to detail.

(Carbon County)

I bought "Manufactured" ammunition from a gun shop that was set up at a gun show. It was .22 Savage HiPower with all new components. The first shot jammed the lever shut to the point that I needed something to pry it open. What amazed me was it extracted the case. The 99 Savage does not have a very efficient extractor. Needless to say, I was done shooting that day. I could not even full length resize the case. The head had expanded and jammed the press. It was a classic case of a "Sprung" receiver with rear locking lugs. I have seen this before and checked the gun out before firing factory ammunition through it. The fired cases were the same as previously fired cases, so the receiver had gone back after removing the pressure. I do shoot reloads from a few friends, but anybody I don't know well, NO!

(Allegheny County)

21 degrees this AM so I did a range day today and fired 14 of the reassembled 7 mm mags.

I shot 2 bullets ( unknown except for weight ) as foulers.
    Then 3 each of the 140 failsafe, 140 Ballistic tips, 150 ballistic tips and 175 ?

Every primer I had decapped and reseated fired ok.

Ill.inspect the brass more closely at my bench but saw no apparent signs of failure.

Any of those would have worked for deer but I think I'll set them aside for plinking during the year.

I found a few more 175 gr reloads so will do the same.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

I got all of my 7mm mag brass prepped, have powder, have bullets (thanks 27hand), have primers, have to find some time to finish putting everything together and hit the range. I*m working on another bull elk hunt, but this time in New Mexico. I need a change of scenery from Wyoming.

How many reloaders do you know that go for the middle ground rather than trying to "sneak up on max"?

(Clarion County)

Guy up the road got rid of his .280. He knew I had one and dropped off a couple hundred rounds he reloaded.
    Always thought by our conversations he was on top of things. Broke down a few and holy crap, doses of IMR4350 varied by more than several grains.
    Most way over max. Don't know if he as trying to make a 7 mag out of it or not.
    If you're into the .280 you already know most of us are over published data to begin with. That's another story.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib View Post
    How many reloaders do you know that go for the middle ground rather than trying to "sneak up on max"?
    None of my associates shoot max loads. However at least one has misread his scale and created rounds that tested the gas handling ability of his Savage rifle. A competent guy, with years of experience. Just made an oops.

(Lehigh County)

MY thought is you work up a load that is most accurate for your gun, and then rinse and repeat.... Max loads are just a safety limit and don't so you any good, unless they are also the most accurate.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Wayne County)

Max as in book max or max for rifle? I load for accuracy but you need to explore for what your rifle likes best for accuracy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast