Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which Shield Plus to Buy?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular Shield Plus

6 54.55%
  • Shield Plus Performance Center 3in

2 18.18%
  • Shield Plus Performance Center 4in

2 18.18%
  • Just keep your old gun

1 9.09%
    (Allegheny County)

Default M&P Shield Plus Performance Center

Now that prices for the Shield Plus are coming down a bit I'm in the market for one to replace my aging Shield 1.0. Should I spring for the performance center edition? Has anyone gotten hands on it? Is it really any better?

I'm really interested in the 4 in performance center edition (no optic for me):

Smith-Wesson-Performance-Center-M-P-Shield-Plus-9mm-4-Barrel-Black-13-Round-022188886504_image4_.jpg

But I'm kind of bummed that it doesn't include a manual safety as that's what I prefer.

Which version should I get?
    F*#K THE ATF

(York County)

Default Re: M&P Shield Plus Performance Center

My wife has one, specifically https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...nter?sku=13254

I like it. Nice sights, shoots well. About the accuracy you'd expect at that barrel length.

If I were gonna get a new Shield I'd probably go P.C. myself.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by KPShooting View Post
    Now that prices for the Shield Plus are coming down a bit I'm in the market for one to replace my aging Shield 1.0. Should I spring for the performance center edition? Has anyone gotten hands on it? Is it really any better?

Smith-Wesson-Performance-Center-M-P-Shield-Plus-9mm-4-Barrel-Black-13-Round-022188886504_image4_.jpg

But I'm kind of bummed that it doesn't include a manual safety as that's what I prefer.

If you want the Performance Center version with a manual safety, you want the Shield Plus with Carry Kit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If you want the Performance Center version with a manual safety, you want the Shield Plus with Carry Kit.
    That's the one with the 3in barrel. I was bitching about the 4in version not having a manual safety. I don't see a combo that will get me that unfortunately. Unless maybe I could some time down the road pick up a 4in barrel and it's appropriate slide and swap them, but that's sinking a bit too much into the gun IMO.
    F*#K THE ATF

(Montgomery County)

What size shield do you have now? If 3" then stick with the 3" for holster compatibility.

That's the one with the 3in barrel. I was bitching about the 4in version not having a manual safety. I don't see a combo that will get me that unfortunately. Unless maybe I could some time down the road pick up a 4in barrel and it's appropriate slide and swap them, but that's sinking a bit too much into the gun IMO.

For an EDC gun, you don't gain much from the extra inch of barrel. Slightly longer sight radius, but in a gunfight you aren't likely to use your sights the way you would at the range. Not much in the way of velocity, and most defensive ammo is designed around short barrels these days; so not much advantage there, either. It's just added weight and requires a holster made for it. The Shield is a "compact" gun. I don't see a need to make it bigger. Just my $0.02.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    For an EDC gun, you don't gain much from the extra inch of barrel. Slightly longer sight radius, but in a gunfight you aren't likely to use your sights the way you would at the range. Not much in the way of velocity, and most defensive ammo is designed around short barrels these days; so not much advantage there, either. It's just added weight and requires a holster made for it. The Shield is a "compact" gun. I don't see a need to make it bigger. Just my $0.02.
    Plus once you grow past the original 3" shield, I think you open the question of whether it's still the right platform: You start to have a whole different set of "comparable" guns once you increase the size - though I think the Shield still benefits from 'slimness' vs. many guns in the next-size-up range. Its slimness is the main reason it's my EDC vs. some others I own.

{ASIDE: I notice that the 'standard' shield shows the thickness on the specs, at 1.1", but the >3" ones don't list a thickness... Are they as 'slim' as the regular Shield, or do they gain thickness too? Anyone know?}

It also occurred to me whether the choice shouldn't really be the 3" or the 5"... If you're gonna accept the downsides of a longer barrel anyway (size, weight, reholstering, etc) might as well get as much 'upside' as possible.

Then again once you go to the 5" barrel you truly enter a world of different comparables.
    DGAF

(Northampton County)

The 3" PC model is your only PC option with a manual safety . . . kinda sucks. And yes, I think it's definitely worth the money over the standard model.