Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: How easy it is...to screw up

Well, if you were doing this before, say, 1995....ok...I guess. After that, people don't have much excuse. I mean, even if you gave them a paper that says in big letters "don't do this!!" You can't make them read it.

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Well, if you were doing this before, say, 1995....ok...I guess. After that, people don't have much excuse. I mean, even if you gave them a paper that says in big letters "don't do this!!" You can't make them read it.
    All incidents were before 1995, except NJ which was about 2001 and it appears I joined this site in 2012. Prior to that, I had no clue that all states do not honor all LTCF/CCW’s.

Was I wrong for not checking states’ laws, sure I was wrong. But again, I, as most people look(ed) at it as a driver’s license. Again, if someone is not on the internet, where will they get their info when the answer would seem so simple and there is no need to even search? I’m certainly not an exception.

However, if as you say, “if you gave them a paper that says in big letters "don't do this!!" You can't make them read it”, yes, then the onus is on them.

(Bucks County)

I know people who are armed in one way or another who do not come aboard POOFA or any other gun-related site. They have lives that are filled with other demands. Obtaining a LICENSE that does not require any classes at all, lack of awareness re foreign laws is entirely understandable. Especially for a citizen of the United States of America, where the constitution rules. Oh, wait.....
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by RLS View Post
    It could be a real problem if you were to use it.
    True.

And yet... still a smaller problem than if he were in a situation he needed it and didn't have it.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    True.

And yet... still a smaller problem than if he were in a situation he needed it and didn't have it.
    Would it be better to be dead or spending life in prison on a murder charge? Kinda a tough call on that one, depending on where you are in life.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Would it be better to be dead or spending life in prison on a murder charge? Kinda a tough call on that one, depending on where you are in life.
    I suppose that's a personal call, but it's a no-brainer for me.

It's worth pointing out that you're jumping to talking about life in prison for a murder charge (which can happen in any self defense case in any state) while the context here is about the consequences of defending oneself while unlawfully possessing a firearm. If we assume legitimate self defense, the defendant is not likely to be facing murder charges (or, is more or less equally likely to face such charges in any state). What I mean by this is that given the context of the discussion, your question might better be phrased as follows:

"Would it be better to be dead or spending some number of years in prison on an unlawful possession charge?"

...which makes it even more of a no-brainer from my perspective.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I'd rather be dead than go to prison.

Save the last bullet for yourself...

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    I suppose that's a personal call, but it's a no-brainer for me.

It's worth pointing out that you're jumping to talking about life in prison for a murder charge (which can happen in any self defense case in any state) while the context here is about the consequences of defending oneself while unlawfully possessing a firearm. If we assume legitimate self defense, the defendant is not likely to be facing murder charges (or, is more or less equally likely to face such charges in any state). What I mean by this is that given the context of the discussion, your question might better be phrased as follows:

"Would it be better to be dead or spending some number of years in prison on an unlawful possession charge?"

...which makes it even more of a no-brainer from my perspective.
    If you're illegally carrying in NJ, like the op, that murder charge is definitely a good possibility. They would treat you just like any other street thug that shot another. I believe you still have a duty to retreat in NJ and since nobody is allowed to carry, it's gonna be a tough self defense claim. In all honesty, I was just trying to point out that in a lot of states you can lose your argument for self defense if you're committing a crime yourself. Don't know what the charge would actually be, but it's not the same as carrying legally when mounting your defense.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I'd rather be dead than go to prison.

Save the last bullet for yourself...
    Agree

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Here4now View Post
    I*ve probably mentioned this before but, until joining poofa, for years I was under the impression that my LTCF was honored in any other state, just like a driver*s license.

Before I knew any different, I*ve carried in NJ, DE, and MD. And a few times, when going to DC to do research in the National Archives, I carried, but did leave my firearm in my car before entering the Archives. After joining this site, it gave me the heebie jeebies to think about what could have happened.

I think when you get your LTCF issued, something should accompany it listing the do*s and don*ts regarding other states. Because, without a site such as this, many/most people *just don*t know*.
    Do you actually think they don*t want you to break the law? My dear unsuspecting innocent, that is how they get power over you. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Ever hear of that?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast