Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Help choosing a compact 9mm pistol

Alternative take, ignore the opinions of others and your own inner voice when it comes to "how it feels in your hand."

Run some realistic drills on a shot timer with some borrowed pistols. Find out which device objectively performs better for you, as this would be an initial assessment. Then, train really hard to hone that edge on the shot timer. Results are what matter, not the feel. The timer does not lie.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

How about a plain old glock 26. They aren't the new hotness, but they are cheap and super reliable. You can also get a plus 2 mag extension which gives you 13 rounds. I'm sure you could get a used one for $400. Just buy something from one of the big name companies and you'll be good to go. Forget about Bersa, Taurus and Keltec. You can get good guns from them but it's hit or miss.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I'm game!
    I mean I think that be cool, the only chance I'll get to try other firearms. I have some stuff I could bring, most of my stuff is milsurps. Should've focused more on modern firearms, but turned 21 during the height (or ongoing) pandemic. Guns and ammo became much more than I can afford with my part-time job, debating if I should sell what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    How about a plain old glock 26. They aren't the new hotness, but they are cheap and super reliable. You can also get a plus 2 mag extension which gives you 13 rounds. I'm sure you could get a used one for $400. Just buy something from one of the big name companies and you'll be good to go. Forget about Bersa, Taurus and Keltec. You can get good guns from them but it's hit or miss.
    A G26 is a great gun. You have the ability to stay small with a 10 or 12 round mag, but you can bump up the capacity with a Glock 19 magazine and an x-grip if you want the extra capacity.

You won*t go wrong with a Sig 365, but you will be in the $500 & up range, plus magazines aren*t cheap.

If you want to stay slim, a Walther PPSM2 can be found new for around $325. You can get an 8 round magazine, and still be quite comfortable to carry and shoot. If you feel the need, you can bump it up a round through a company called magguts - which gives you 9 rounds, plus one in the chamber for 10 rounds.

As mentioned - you need to see how a gun feels to YOU in your hand. That said, I never liked the feel of a Glock, but I ended up buying one when I found a deal I couldn*t pass on, and I do like it.

Good luck to you.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramencat57 View Post
    Hello,

I've had my CCW for over a year now after coming of age, but the 2 pistols I have are way too big for that purpose. I'd like to get a compact 9mm pistol more tailored to me, but also doesn't break the bank either ($400). I did some looking around and found some possible candidates:

-Bersa TPR9C
    -S&W M2.0 Compact
    -Glock 48

If anyone has any experience with these firearms please let me know, all seem good both in reliability and price. However, if you have other suggestions I'd be willing to hear you out. I don't have any experience with compact pistols, so I'm asking for some wisdom if you'd spare it. Thanks-

added 11/27/2021:
    Thanks, everyone for responding, wasn't actually expecting this much feedback lol. I should add a bit more background info to kinda help, the pistol I've been carrying is a berretta 92fs (obviously way too big for someone my size). So anything smaller than that is a win in my book, I'd also like it to be double stack if possible. I hear most of you saying I should rent a pistol to try, but I'm a bit of a broke college student at the moment. Plus most of my friends and definitely my family are mostly anti-gun, so trying other firearms are out the window. I think it is safe to say I've liked most pistols I've tried, so I don't really have specifics of what a good carry gun is other than reliability (I'll admit I like the feeling of metal than polymer guns). As for the list you've given me I've done some research-

Sig P365 or xl- seems really good, but the average price is $550+
    Mossberg MC2sc- didn't know Mossberg even made pistols, I'll have to look around gun stores to see if I can even find it
    Taurus GX4- I've tried Taurus products before, had one explode on me. So a bit hesitant with the company...
    Ruger Max 9-looks like a good choice, a possible candidate
    Springfield Hellcat- I've seen the recent craze with Micro compacts, but I'd like to stay in the compact size range if possible
    Glock 43x- basically a smaller 48, good price and brand. Just wish it was more than 10 rounds
    I know that adding this item would take the 43x above the $ point, but there is an aftermarket company named Shield Industries that makes 15-round mags that fit the 43x/48. They make the mag body out of metal, so eventually the polymer mag release button will wear from that metal-on-poly contact. Shield also sells a metal replacement for the Glock mag release, making that metal-on-metal and resolving any issues with wear. The 15 round mags are about $50 each and the mag release between $20-25. They have a package with two 15-round mags and the upgraded mag release that might save $10-15 over buying everything separately. May not be in the cards at purchase, but you can add that upgrade if/when you want to and funds are available. Easier to find $100 than $600 up front for a gun with that capacity.

(Bucks County)

You said you don't want a micro compact, but most of these either are micro compacts or very close in size to micro compacts. The next thing up would be glock 19 size. Have you looked into the Canik TP9 SC? They're a compact 9mm, comes with a holster, two mags and cleaning kit for under 400 new. Taurus G3C are sub 300's and come with 3 magazines. A little smaller than glock 19's.

M&P Shield plus- micro compact - hard to beat for price
    Sig P365X or XL - micro compact - solid, smaller capacity mags vs other micros
    Hellcat- micro compact - solid comes with front night sight
    Mossberg MC2sc- no experience with these
    Taurus GX4- micro compact - no experience, but popular and very cost effective around $350
    Ruger Max 9 - no comment
    Glock 43x- basically micro compact - basic and smaller capacity than others
    Modern Defense FFL in Telford PA, @ModernDefensePA FB/Instagram ModernDefensePA@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dhagey90 View Post
    You said you don't want a micro compact, but most of these either are micro compacts or very close in size to micro compacts. The next thing up would be glock 19 size. Have you looked into the Canik TP9 SC? They're a compact 9mm, comes with a holster, two mags and cleaning kit for under 400 new. Taurus G3C are sub 300's and come with 3 magazines. A little smaller than glock 19's.

M&P Shield plus- micro compact - hard to beat for price
    Sig P365X or XL - micro compact - solid, smaller capacity mags vs other micros
    Hellcat- micro compact - solid comes with front night sight
    Mossberg MC2sc- no experience with these
    Taurus GX4- micro compact - no experience, but popular and very cost effective around $350
    Ruger Max 9 - no comment
    Glock 43x- basically micro compact - basic and smaller capacity than others
    You can get the Taurus for $300 with free shipping.
    https://www.gunbuyer.com/taurus-9mm-...gx4m931-d.html

(Bucks County)

Start looking at local shops. Many have a used/consignment section. Might find what you are looking for there as well.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

Well, I've narrowed it down to the Glock 43X, Sig P365XL, and S&W 2.0 compact/shied. Looked in my area's gun shops but haven't seen anything good. If anyone is selling or knows a place that is selling these pistols at a good price, then please reach out to me. Thanks again-

(Cumberland County)

I see your in Harrisburg. Check out Mechanicsburg ordnance 717-766-9606. They get trade ins on a regular basis. I stop 2 to 3 times a week and always see turn over.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast