Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Police officer discretion

Quote Originally Posted by DMG View Post
    Police discretion almost never works outnin the citizens favor
    I*ve gotten numerous warnings for moving violations where I deserved a ticket.

Respect toward LE goes a long way when pulled over. That and the veteran flag on my drivers license.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I*ve gotten numerous warnings for moving violations where I deserved a ticket.

Respect toward LE goes a long way when pulled over. That and the veteran flag on my drivers license.
    Big difference between speeding and "Constitution motherfucker!!!"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Now small town cops, where they personally know some or all of their residents, it may be a different story.
    Back in the day they would give you a ride home if they pulled you over for driving impaired.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Big difference between speeding and "Constitution motherfucker!!!"
    I know, but DMG was painting with a broad brush, which I loathe.

And it was rolling through stop signs and red lights.

I am not a child. I don't expect the world to work the way it should or the way I would like. I try to act accordingly. Usually successfully. I recommend bus approach to others. If you want to engage in illegal activity, better to do it when you're a lot less likely to suffer negative consequences.
    No one suggested you were anything but a fully functional well to do adult. I would appreciate avoiding the slippery slope argument though- legality =/= morality. There’s a difference between having a 14” rifle barrel and serving 10 years in prison as a consequence vs operating a child abduction program for Jeffery Epstein yes?

Not really sure what your point is. But I live in the real world, not the one I would like to live in. I accept that reality.
    The same world as the rest of us. My point being is there’s an obvious difference between “sign here and go on your way” for a traffic citation vs “hands up and hope you one day enjoy freedom again”

If they end up dead, I find it irrelevant to their personal situation what happened on the side of the road, or who was in the right, either theoretically or in practicality. "Well, he is dead, but he was right" is of little condolence to the dead.
    Many of those that ended up dead were police officers…

I get that you seem to be one that favors the rule of law. My position isn’t the same but is irrelevant. Is there a point where your opinion sways to the otherside? “I know the law says X but I will Y”

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith33 View Post
    There*s a difference between having a 14* rifle barrel and serving 10 years in prison as a consequence vs operating a child abduction program for Jeffery Epstein yes?
    That all depends on whether I am involved. If I am the one going to prison for ten years, I don't draw much of a distinction. Nor do I care about Epstein's fate. In any case, I don't make the rules, so whether I feel there is a difference is immaterial.

The same world as the rest of us. My point being is there*s an obvious difference between *sign here and go on your way* for a traffic citation vs *hands up and hope you one day enjoy freedom again*
    Uh....ok. So what?

Many of those that ended up dead were police officers*
    Yeah. That happens in that line of work.

I get that you seem to be one that favors the rule of law.
    Not really. I used to. But not anymore. I think the law is not written for the benefit of people like me, and most of it is complete bullshit and should be rescinded. I don't view the entire legal system any more favourably. I AM, however, a big fan of not going to prison. To that end, I try to obey the law when the alternative is risking going to prison.

My position isn*t the same but is irrelevant. Is there a point where your opinion sways to the otherside? *I know the law says X but I will Y*
    Yes, but I'm not going to put that in writing on a public forum.

Yes, but I'm not going to put that in writing on a public forum.
    I understand. Thanks for the responses

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmith33 View Post
    Im inclined to agree, but failure to discuss/compromise means violence is the only alternative- from either side. No?
    Nice to meet you Special Agent Smith. I'm afraid you're going to find that contrary to what your supervisors told you, the internet isn't a hot-bed of violent right-wing types, and you're not going to find someone you can egg on into illegal actions. You guys have really overplayed your one note game over the years to the point where it is a meme that the one guy in the group who is pushing for violence and 'knows a guy who can hook you up with (explosives, full-auto, etc..) is the FBI guy.

You'd have more luck working the other side of the political spectrum, but we know that is never going to happen.

I'm impressed you waited this long after setting up your account here. Kudos for the patience.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Nice to meet you Special Agent Smith. I'm afraid you're going to find that contrary to what your supervisors told you, the internet isn't a hot-bed of violent right-wing types, and you're not going to find someone you can egg on into illegal actions. You guys have really overplayed your one note game over the years to the point where it is a meme that the one guy in the group who is pushing for violence and 'knows a guy who can hook you up with (explosives, full-auto, etc..) is the FBI guy.

You'd have more luck working the other side of the political spectrum, but we know that is never going to happen.

I'm impressed you waited this long after setting up your account here. Kudos for the patience.
    I didn't know what the guy's gig was but I knew it was bizarre and I wasn't playing along.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post

I’m going to sock puppet and rack up the responses so my supervisors will give me a raise….

Nah seriously though I’m not encouraging anyone to do anything illegal. I’m asking the legal obligations of the officer (what he must vs may do). If he must, well there’s not much discussion. If he may the original questions follow:
    -would you?
    - personal opinion?
    - could a change a detail to reverse your position?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast