Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Utah class

Default Utah class

At a gun show last weekend I came across a guy that teaches a Firearms class that is good for the Utah license for $200. How does this compare to class cost in PA?
    Grizz
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Default Re: Utah class

$200.........
    I Donated $80..... for a good cause......

My club is working on a $75 class.

I probably should have added that it is also a NRA firearms safety class. I left the brochure at work so I don't have the exact details handy.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Fingers, if your club gets that class going, please let me know. This graduate student would be interested in a bargain priced UTAH ccw class.

Cheers,

-David

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    My club is working on a $75 class.
    If you are referring to the ACSHA class tentatively scheduled for Dec 7th, I'll be the instructor. Club President and PAFOA poster djturnz will be handling advertising both here and on the club website.

Note:

-- PAFOA posters (who have been posting for 30+ days prior to the course date) may receive a discount, as will ACSHA members and LEO's, so the course fee will be $75 max per person, for some substantially less.

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable

(Pike County)

My personal opinion is that a Florida license is much cheaper (not as many requirements) and is almost as good. Save yourself some money and go that route.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Utah class / Utah CFP vs Florida CWP (cost analysis)

Quote Originally Posted by deputy View Post
    My personal opinion is that a Florida license is much cheaper (not as many requirements) and is almost as good. Save yourself some money and go that route.
    Good alternative Deputy for some folks but definitely not cheaper.
    Allow me to explain.

For those folks for whom a Utah Instructor is not available nearby, Florida can be a viable alternative, especially if they already have training meeting Fla's requirements. But as of the first renewal, Utah becomes infinitely less expensive.

From a strictly financial standpoint, Utah is a better value provided your Utah Instructor does not tack on items not required by Utah, thus increasing the price. It is actually a Felony for us to deviate from Utah's mandated course outline without prior written approval.

As for myself, course fee is $75 max per person.
    PAFOA posters = $65 (a $10 discount).
    Utah charges $13 for fingerprinting. I offer free print services.

Cost breakdowns using a PAFOA poster as an example:

Utah
    $65 course + $0 prints + $65.25 Utah permit application fee = $130.25
    Initial permit good for 5 years.
    Renewals: only $10 and a one page form for a 5 year renewal; no need to resubmit prints or proof of training.
    New or renewals issued within 60 days per state statute.

Florida
    $??? fee for training meeting Florida requirements + $??? for prints by your local law enforcement + $117 for the Fla permit app = $117 _minimum_; you'll likely "lose" the modest savings over the $130.25 cost above for Utah just driving to find local law enforcement that still performs hard copy print cards.
    (Florida doesnt accept scanned prints for Non-Resident applicants)
    Initial permits formerly good for 5 years, now good for 7 as of this past summer.
    Renewals for a Non-Resident of Florida?
    SAME process all over again: resubmit prints, resubmit proof of training, $117 permit app fee.
    New or renewals have seen processing times of up to 180 days.

Summary:
    At current pricing, a Florida permit's _first_ 7 year renewal would pay for over _50 years_ of Utah renewals - so even if the "start up" costs are basically similar, at 7 yrs + 1 day Florida becomes substantially more expensive.

For most, it comes down to the following:
    -- your travel habits (Utah coverage vs slightly lesser Florida coverage; specific states covered)
    -- ease of access to a Utah Instructor (decent size group = I travel to you)
    -- course fee assessed by your Utah Instructor (I've seen some charge up to $350 by including training not required by Utah; if you desire other NRA Pistol or "Tactical" training I prefer that this be offered separately so as not to risk revocation by Utah per their standards)

Utah CFP alone = legal in PA, 29 state coverage
    Utah CFP + PA (resident) LTCF = legal in PA, 34 state coverage

NRA Certified Instructor / PA State Constable