Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Franklin County)

Default Long term emergency food

I'm looking at purchasing a long term food meal kit. I would like to start out with one of the 25 year kit that many manufacturers and retailers sell. I know some a OK and some are not OK. Ive got a good basement to store it in, dry, dehumidified stays between 60-65*. I'm at a point in life that 25 year shelf life will probably outlive me. I know I could do better by putting my own kit together but for ease I would like to buy a 3 month kit and build on that.(600+/- meals).
    Which kits to look at or stay away from?
    The Hostler

Default Re: Long term emergency food

mountain house would have been the best. Your late to the game as its double the price. #10 cans is what you want.

https://www.prepsos.com/brand/augaso...SAAEgKGYPD_BwE

Good deal and have some, just not used it.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post
    mountain house would have been the best. Your late to the game as its double the price. #10 cans is what you want.

What got me thinking is I got an email advertising 4patriots and it seemed they have a good deal going, but it's hard to judge.the quality of the food.
    The Hostler

(Clearfield County)

Just remember those things use soy in place of actual meat.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlytrap View Post

Do some price shopping though. I got two of those 30 day Augason Farm buckets for $77 on amazon prime day back in June. Probably won't be able to find that price again, but $190 for a 30 day bucket seems VERY high.
    F*#K THE ATF

I know you said you wanted a kit, but honestly unless you're planning on using it as a grab-and-go, roll your own is way easier and cheaper.
    Big bag of rice, bunch of cans of beans, various soups or broths, shells-n-cheese (the ones with foil packs for the cheese) if you want something tasty, powdered drink mix (kool-aid, et. al.), and a case or 2 of water. Try to focus on things you'd eat normally, so you can rotate through stock without feeling at odds with your food choices.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I know you said you wanted a kit, but honestly unless you're planning on using it as a grab-and-go, roll your own is way easier and cheaper.
    Big bag of rice, bunch of cans of beans, various soups or broths, shells-n-cheese (the ones with foil packs for the cheese) if you want something tasty, powdered drink mix (kool-aid, et. al.), and a case or 2 of water. Try to focus on things you'd eat normally, so you can rotate through stock without feeling at odds with your food choices.
    My thoughts as well. When I look at those 'kits', regular canned/dried/vacuum sealed foods are cheaper. And if you look at the nutritional value of many of those prepared meals, they are like 300-350 calories. I know it's 'survival sustenance,' but if you're working harder because of a tough environment, how many of those will you need daily?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    But how much of that stuff can be stored and left alone for 20 years? You mentioned "rotating stock", I don't want to rotate stock, I've got a pantry full of canned and sealed foods i do that with.
    I used to have a few cases of MREs but even they only have a 10 year shelf life, even so, I kept them for probably 15 years then eventually passed them off to someone else who wasn't as concerned about their age.
    The Hostler

Short answer ! Deer & Squirrels !

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Short answer ! Deer & Squirrels !
    You're talking in addition to stored foods right?
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast