Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Long term emergency food

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I'm looking at purchasing a long term food meal kit. I would like to start out with one of the 25 year kit that many manufacturers and retailers sell. I know some a OK and some are not OK. Ive got a good basement to store it in, dry, dehumidified stays between 60-65*. I'm at a point in life that 25 year shelf life will probably outlive me. I know I could do better by putting my own kit together but for ease I would like to buy a 3 month kit and build on that.(600+/- meals).
    Which kits to look at or stay away from?
    Sorry late to the thread. Emergency Essentials, Mountain House, augason farms are reliable brands with decades of experience and trust. Some of them a half a century. https://www.survivalistboards.com/ Is my go to for information. They don*t accept bad practices there when it comes to the science of food preservation , any more then the mods here accept bad information about gun laws.

As others have said: often it can be cheaper to do bulk food prep for long term storage yourself, however unless you*ve good stupid money lay around, you*re not buying your own freeze dryer. Which I knew someone who wanted to go halfzes.

However most dry goods (beans, white rice, lentils, flour, wheat) you can store with Mylar bags, an oxygen absorber, & a hair straightener. With dry goods, you have to be careful about foods that go rancid, which as brown rice.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Warren County)

Couple data points for yinz.

Cane sugar at Gordons food supply is $78 for 4 boxes of cane sugar (100 lbs). 78 cents per pound for you democrats.

Wally world sells 10 lbs for about $5.40, or 54 cents per pound for sugar that is almost certainly from sugar beets.

Sugar has a ton of value to people addicted to sweets.

Rabbits are good tasting animals. Feeding them isn't cheap, and making them edible is work, but cheaper than raising cows.
    And its safer with respect to horns and bulls and suchlike.

Processing a bunny can be done in 20 minutes, with practice.

When refrigeration fails, You can keep a bunny alive until eating time. Nazzo much with a cow.

Bunnies are quiet.

Bunny poo is easy to collect and can be applied to the garden without composting, because its not hot like chicken poo.

Bunnies are cold tolerant.

Bunnies reproduce rapidly.

Big bunnies have more meat than small bunnies.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Couple data points for yinz.

Cane sugar at Gordons food supply is $78 for 4 boxes of cane sugar (100 lbs). 78 cents per pound for you democrats.

Wally world sells 10 lbs for about $5.40, or 54 cents per pound for sugar that is almost certainly from sugar beets.

Sugar has a ton of value to people addicted to sweets.

Rabbits are good tasting animals. Feeding them isn't cheap, and making them edible is work, but cheaper than raising cows.
    And its safer with respect to horns and bulls and suchlike.

Processing a bunny can be done in 20 minutes, with practice.

When refrigeration fails, You can keep a bunny alive until eating time. Nazzo much with a cow.

Bunnies are quiet.

Bunny poo is easy to collect and can be applied to the garden without composting, because its not hot like chicken poo.

Bunnies are cold tolerant.

Bunnies reproduce rapidly.

Big bunnies have more meat than small bunnies.
    Bunnies are too cute to eat. ��
    The Hostler

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Rabbits are good tasting animals.
    Rabbits have very little fat so you have to add that to the meal.

Coconut oil has many uses, including cooking, which can add that fat to your meal and lasts years unopened.

In a SHTF scenario you are going to need to consume a lot of fat. You'll be working much more every day and the high calorie pre-processed food we enjoy now won't be available. If anything catastrophic ever happened to our economy or supply chain I bet most of these fat Americans will die of hunger in a couple weeks because they depend on fast food or these processed junk meals.

(Delaware County)

Bunnies bring Easter Eggs.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345