Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Long term emergency food

Plenty of deer and tree rats here !

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Plenty of deer and tree rats here !
    I`m an avid hunter / fisherman myself (actually heading south in a few days for a wild boar hunt!).
    I spend a majority of my free time from late September - mid January in my tree stands.
    However, I`m sure the quiet serenity of being in the woods hunting game will be completely different given an emergency situation.
    Especially for you.......being in the Poconos, you`ll have every Elmer Fudd in North Jersey, Eastern NY combing through those woods!
    Won`t be any different for me here in lower Bucks.........make me wish I had some land out in the Dakotas!

(Franklin County)

What will be completely hilarious is watching how many people will be willing to starve to death while waiting on government handouts instead of going out and killing their own food.
    The Hostler

(Washington County)

Deer would be near extinct very quickly if we had a complete failure of the mass produced food supply.

Download and save groundhog recipes now!
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Wayne County)

If I recall correctly, one can acquire hepatitis from dealing with groundhogs...just an FYI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodchuck_hepatitis_virus
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Blair County)

game populations are dwarfed by the amount of cows and other live stock . i thought it was funny the last time
    it started to look bad the game commission upped the fines for poaching . i wonder if they will again .

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    What will be completely hilarious is watching how many people will be willing to starve to death while waiting on government handouts instead of going out and killing their own food.
    They won't be willing to starve to death, they'll be showing up on your front step asking you directly.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    They won't be willing to starve to death, they'll be showing up on your front step asking you directly.
    I say "good luck with that". If they aren't friend or family they are SOL.
    The Hostler

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I just went ahead and spent the big bucks on true 25 year kits. We bought a combination of Readywise and Readyhour kits. More expensive than canned and other supermarket choices but we noticed that nearly all supermarket choices are good for no more than 2 to 5 years and we were looking for something we could store and forget. 20-25 years will outlast me. We always have a well stocked pantry so the short term stuff is not something we were looking for. Between our pantry, the long term emergency food, local farm markets and local hunting and fishing opportunities, I think we are good to go in the emergency food department.
    I think there are a lot of people considering emergency survival that never really thought about it before. My niece and nephew, who are much more liberal than my wife and I, out of the blue the other day said to my wife "I know how Ray and you are, what should we be doing to prepare for emergencies?" My wife offered some suggestions and discussed what we have done and said we had about 3 months of long term storage food as well as a month or so of pantry food, the niece said they have about two weeks of food at their house. I feel they have spent the last couple of years thinking we are crazys, suddenly we are their go-to.
    Wise foods, which changed their name to readywise, had a very negative reputation among some peeper communities, for a number of reasons, including labeling portion sizes to small to able to sustain life. Mountain House had wise products tested in an independent lab, and found that how they packaged their products made their shelf life claims to be lies.

Mount House Publicly called them out. Wise never sued then for defamation or even denied the clams.

I would go mountain house or augason farms.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-five View Post
    I take it those are dried beans that can last 25 years?
    Except pinto beans. We don*t know why, but they get rock hard and never rehydrate, even hours under a pressure cooker.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast