Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 22LR pistol vs bulk 9mm ammo

Picked up the .22 S&W earlier this year. Fun gun to shoot. I found some $22 ammo at Walmart the other day. Last bulk pack. Then at cabelas on Black Friday they had a bunch off .22 bulk packs. So they can still be found. Just have to look around a bit.

I would go with the .22 with the threaded barrel just incase you wanted to buy a can later down the road.
    Plus it*s great for new shooters. The wife enjoys shooting it
    ΑΣΦ

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bug44 View Post
    Picked up the .22 S&W earlier this year. Fun gun to shoot. I found some $22 ammo at Walmart the other day. Last bulk pack. Then at cabelas on Black Friday they had a bunch off .22 bulk packs. So they can still be found. Just have to look around a bit.

I would go with the .22 with the threaded barrel just incase you wanted to buy a can later down the road.
    Plus it*s great for new shooters. The wife enjoys shooting it
    I second this, I have one as well and it does a damn good job of eating up pretty much anything I give it. I have a suppresser coming for it soon, should be interesting to see how quiet it gets. Great gun to teach my son on, he really enjoys it.
    -Brandon

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Walmart still sells 22 for around $20 a box.... I'd buy the 22 pistol and shoot it until 9mm gets more reasonable.
    Is that a box of 50

(Franklin County)

Threaded barrel for a 22 pistol for a suppressor ?? My experience is if you don't use subsonic ammo ,it's not as quiet as you would think. Subsonic ammo , very quiet if you can get the pistol to cycle .Changing the recoil spring may or may not solve the cycling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by flygrimm View Post
    Is that a box of 50
    Box of 325 rounds !

Quote Originally Posted by biggerpatterson View Post
    Threaded barrel for a 22 pistol for a suppressor ?? My experience is if you don't use subsonic ammo ,it's not as quiet as you would think. Subsonic ammo , very quiet if you can get the pistol to cycle .Changing the recoil spring may or may not solve the cycling problem.
    Almost all cheap bulk pack .22LR stays subsonic in a pistol length barrel. .22LR that is specifically marketed as subsonic tends to be more for rifle length barrels and may not function in a .22 pistol, though it isn't really necessary in a pistol to begin with.

Adding the suppressor increases backpressure which tends to make most guns run better, at least for a little while. Suppressed .22s also get absolutely filthy much quicker which doesn't help reliability. Since .22s are direct blowback and don't have a tilting barrel, the additional mass of the suppressor hanging off the end of the barrel isn't a problem.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Chester County)

I bought so much .22 during and after that last run on .22s a few years ago I don't think I will ever need to buy .22s again. Funny part is I really don't even shot ,22s much now that the kids are grown and moved out for he most part.

Just before all of this crap started back up I bought a Ruger 57, finding ammo for that is no small task plus its 50 bucks a box when you can find it and that's down from 100 just 3-4 months ago.
    Biden's America, Fuck Joe Biden.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RobFromErie View Post
    Been thinking about picking up a S&W 22 compact for awhile. Partially because ammo is cheaper/ to practice with on lieu of my 9mm shield, and for fun. 300-500 rounds for 20 bucks is pretty sweet.

But for the price of the gun, i thought maybe I should just buy bulk 9mm to practice more instead. That's like 1-2000.

What are ya'lls thoughts? I haven't had a 22 pistol yet.
    I think your prices ad math is off a little, with that said, I've had a M&P 22 compact.for a couple years now. Ive probably put guessing around 700 rounds of various ammo through it. The gun hasn't had any issues eating anything I've fed it.
    When I did the math a couple years ago i figured it would pay for itself in about 1000 rounds. I thought I would shoot it more than I do so it's taking longer to break even than it should.
    The Hostler

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Walmart still sells 22 for around $20 a box.... I'd buy the 22 pistol and shoot it until 9mm gets more reasonable.
    Which Walmart? I haven't seen any since last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Which Walmart? I haven't seen any since last year.
    Mt Pocono Walmart has 22 ammo .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast