Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Lead bullets in titanium cylinders

I've heard that lead bullets, as opposed to jacketed or semi-jacketed, are not good with titanium cylinders. I'm not a metallurgist, nor do I have a degree in chemistry. Is there any particular reason why lead bullets should not be loaded for guns with titanium cylinders? I believe the S&W 340PD has a "jacketed only" warning on the barrel. I've also heard of minimum weight requirements so you don't erode the cylinder, making really cool sparks at the range.

Can anyone point me to any comprehensive information on this topic?

I'm hoping to pick up a S&W M&P340 which is a steel cylinder version of the 340PD, which I think is the lightest 357 Magnum J-Frame around. I'm looking to make low recoil ammunition using the 115gr Hunters Supply Cast Bullets ( https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2046156324?pid=577515 ). I would like to be able to share my end recipe if it is safe to use in Ti revolvers like the 342PD and 340PD. Those two revolvers are the only ones I know of off hand in the J-Frame size, but I wouldn't be surprised if Taurus and other companies had Ti cylinders to reduce weight. I am aware that S&W makes larger frame revolvers with Ti cylinders.

Thanks.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Lead bullets in titanium cylinders

That is new to me! I have a S&W 986 Pro and I generally shoot coated or plated lead. Never heard of plain lead being a problem.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clarion County)

I shoot allot of lead and the op caught my attention.
    Went over to the S&W site and looked at their owners manual.
    They do have a warning on not using bullets lighter than 120 grs. in magnum loads, nothing specifically about cast.
    "Do not use Magnum loads with bullet weights of less than 120 grains - This will reduce the possibility of premature erosion in titanium alloy cylinders."
    https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sit..._416560000.pdf
    pager 13.
    Of course usual disclaimer in there about not using hand loaded ammo.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Delaware County)

I've seen the label "jacketed only". I could have misread it as it was on a photo of a 340PD for sale.

As for titanium erosion, I have seen that in videos. It looks cool. When you fire, you get a shower of sparks mixed in with the fireball. The gun in question was the famous Pug (S&W Performance Center 327). The guy was shooting magnum level 110s (which I didn't know existed). He ultimately got the cylinder replaced under warranty.

(Chester County)

Lead bullets may jump crimp. A S&W 337PD @ 10 OZ, came with this & more.

(Chester County)

Neck tension/Bullet hold keeps bullets from moving under recoil & during the loading cycle in autos.

NT/BH, can be measured- Measure the case before & after seating the bullet. The outside diameter should increase a minimum of .002" Some heavy recoilers, like the 460 S&W, will need .004" This is controled by the sizing die & the correct size expander.

Hope this help.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for that information. I've heard of crimp jump in auto ammo loaded in moon clips for revolver use having crimp jump issues. A friend of mine had some minor crimp jump shooting Buffalo Bore 20A (158gr LSWC-HP) out of a 342PD (now out of production). The 20A is a 38Spl+P load. It has more muzzle energy than a lot of 9mm loads out of 3" barrels do.

I intend to try the 20A load as well as the 20C load which is a standard pressure version of the same cartridge. I'll certainly look for bullet jump as I do expect a bit of recoil from an M&P340 which is a scandium frame revolver with a steel cylinder that has been PVD treated to be black.