Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ithaca Flues 20 g side by side

I have this 20 g shotgun--my grandfather's, given to me by my dad. SN#302456, mfg in 1919

I've tried to figure out the chamber length without having a specialized measuring device. The end of the chamber is tapered into the barrel, so when I use something to stop at the chamber's end, it just rides over the taper and into the barrel.

There is no chamber length stamped on the barrel.

Any suggestions? (As if it matters, shotgun ammo is so scarce.)

Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ithaca Flues 20 g side by side

Most likely 2 1/2" chambers. 2 3/4" 20 gauge came along sometime in the early 20's. Check again for markings.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

Thanks! I had some old ammo of my father's, and it is 2-3/4". I dropped a couple in the chamber, and it seated well. Of course, when the crimp extends, we'll get another 1/4". So I don't know.
    What would be the effect of using 1/4" too long cartridges?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks! I had some old ammo of my father's, and it is 2-3/4". I dropped a couple in the chamber, and it seated well. Of course, when the crimp extends, we'll get another 1/4". So I don't know.

(Lawrence County)

I remember having a Winchester-Red Letter it was a tapered barrel, full choke.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dogperson View Post

I would not fire modern plastic hull 2 3/4" shells in the 2 1/2" chambers. When that gun was made there were two types of shells made for it, brass reloadable and wax impregnated paper shells. The pressures from a modern plastic hull 2 3/4" shell are much higher. If you remove the barrel from the receiver and flip it over there will be numbers stamped into the barrel bosses that will at least tell you it was proofed and what chokes are in the barrels.

You can either find a good shotgun gunsmith for more information on obtaining the correct shells and the safety of firing the gun or peruse the Ithaca specific forums out there to find more information. There is also a book that is quite costly by Walter Claude Snyder called The Ithaca Gun Company that may be in your local library. The book is more likely to be worth more than the gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Ithaca-Gun-Co.../dp/0962946923
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Allegheny County)

I finally got out my caliper, and by advancing the straight part out the back under direct vision, the chamber measures 3.02" to the beginning of the taper. Measured several times, and this was reproducible.

Regarding Snyder's book, you can be lucky and get a signed copy for around $1,300. Not available in any library in Pittsburgh. Oh, well.