Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry Permit Denial

Quote Originally Posted by guncrank View Post
    I didn't see this question asked but has the OP passed a PICS check in the past to purchase a firearm? If so when was the last time? I know that previous licenses to carry were issued and a PICS check was supposedly done for those but I don't really trust a civil servant to do their job.
    Passed PICS for original LTCF in Jan 2012, passed PICS for renewal for Jan 2017 (applied Dec 2016), passed PICS for shotgun early 2019. Applied for renewal a week ago and was denied by PICS. Have had no police or court interaction (not even pulled over) since 2005 (a summary offense).

Edit - what is frustrating/frightening in particular is that now i do not know if i am even able to legally CC, so i haven't been. i would imagine that, should something have shown up in regards to myself on PICS, i'd have received correspondence about returning my current LTCF card -- and relinquishing my firearms. A failed PICS would mean I am technically not allowed to own them, correct?
    Last edited by brm; December 16th, 2021 at 01:15 PM.

(Chester County)

You can think and wonder and question and analyze until the cows come home, as my farmer grandfather used to say. Stop screwing around and get some professional help to put this to bed before it grows three more heads and bites you! I'm a pretty smart guy and well educated, but I wouldn't pretend for one minute to understand all of the bs in the small print of the law. Unless you have lots of time on your hands and are looking for another hobby, get a professional to figure this out for you!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Stop screwing around and get some professional help to put this to bed before it grows three more heads and bites you!
    look, i get it but not everyone has the money to get professional help. i'm trying to think of every avenue possible before going that route - maybe going to PSP myself and see if they can help explain what the issue is. and yes, i'll admit that going to a professional is almost certainly what i'll have to do even though it'll be a huge gut punch to put myself in a bind, just for psp to say lol jk you're good. if i could have gotten a reason, like a PFA in hawaii, i'd send the challenge in laughing all the way to the post office. unfortunately, and before sending the challenge in (it's filled out, addressed and stamped sitting next to me), i read tales of people getting charged federally for sending in that challenge not knowing that they were wrong and now i'm petrified.

so yeah, getting professional help, i agree it's the best course. clearly if i was in the position to easily do so, i'd have done it without hesitation. but things aren't always like that.
    Last edited by brm; December 16th, 2021 at 04:37 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by brm View Post
    look, i get it but not everyone has the money to get professional help. i'm trying to think of every avenue possible before going that route - maybe going to PSP myself and see if they can help explain what the issue is. and yes, i'll admit that going to a professional is almost certainly what i'll have to do even though it'll be a huge gut punch to put myself in a bind, just for psp to say lol jk you're good. if i could have gotten a reason, like a PFA in hawaii, i'd send the challenge in laughing all the way to the post office. unfortunately, and before sending the challenge in (it's filled out, addressed and stamped sitting next to me), i read tales of people getting charged federally for sending in that challenge not knowing that they were wrong and now i'm petrified.

so yeah, getting professional help, i agree it's the best course. clearly if i was in the position to easily do so, i'd have done it without hesitation. but things aren't always like that.

Don*t k know where you read that, but the challenge form is for them (psp) to explain why you were denied. You*re not agreeing or denying anything.

(Delaware County)

i want to start by thanking you all for your help initially. just to keep things updated --

i sent in the challenge last sunday. today, i received a letter back stating that i had an active warrant, issued in 2013 for the summary offense in 2005. this was due to nonpayment of fines.

it seemed to follow the format 340M&P mentioned. they just sent whatever pics spit out.

for what it's worth, i do pay my bills, though this was from when i was in college and, well, i had other priorities i guess and had forgotten about it.

anyway, apparently this solves the mystery. what is strange though is that (1) i didn't realize that pa was issuing warrants for nonpayment of fines (it was around $200 and i thought they would have sent it to collections instead) and (2) how did i get my LTCF in 2017?

paid the balance over the phone and the clerk said it would wipe off the warrant immediately. i will be sending the explanation and payment receipt back to psp, hopefully resolving the issue. ujs has already updated the information.

just to elaborate on my earlier post, i did visit the psp barracks near me to ask for help, but they said they were unable to run a pics check. i was still hesitant about sending it in, but found someone with my name who was served a PFA and had their kids removed along with other major offenses the week before i sent it. originally, i thought that was going to be the reason, so i was a little more confident in submitting it.

thanks again for the help.

(Berks County)

i want to start by thanking you all for your help initially. just to keep things updated --

i sent in the challenge on sunday. today, i received a letter back stating that i had an active warrant, issued in 2013 for the summary offense in 2005. this was due to nonpayment of fines.

it seemed to follow the format 340M&P mentioned. they just sent whatever pics spit out.

for what it's worth, i do pay my bills, though this was from when i was in college and, well, i had other priorities i guess and had forgotten about it.

anyway, apparently this solves the mystery. what is strange though is that (1) i didn't realize that pa was issuing warrants for nonpayment of fines (it was around $200 and i thought they would have sent it to collections instead) and (2) how did i get my LTCF in 2017?

paid the balance over the phone and the clerk said it would wipe off the warrant immediately. i will be sending the explanation and payment receipt back to psp, hopefully resolving the issue. ujs has already updated the information.

I'm glad you got that straightened out but now let's see if they issue or tell you to come back in a year.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

i sent in the challenge last sunday. today, i received a letter back stating that i had an active warrant, issued in 2013 for the summary offense in 2005. this was due to nonpayment of fines.

just to elaborate on my earlier post, i did visit the psp barracks near me to ask for help, but they said they were unable to run a pics check. i was still hesitant about sending it in, but found someone with my name who was served a PFA and had their kids removed along with other major offenses the week before i sent it. originally, i thought that was going to be the reason, so i was a little more confident in submitting it.

Interesting! Best of luck in getting that LTCF issued ASAP. I still have a warrant dating back to '92 for parking in the grass at my own house, but (knock on wood), it's never showed up in an LTCF / PICS check. I refused to pay it on principle
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Now just claim you were peacefully protesting when it comes to bills and steeling.

(Delaware County)

just an update --

after sending PSP the receipts for the court costs payment, a copy of the docket showing the amount was paid (along with a guilty plea in 2005) and a groveling letter apologizing and explaining the circumstances, today i received my letter from PSP stating that i am no longer considered prohibited.

now i just need to speak with the sheriff's office to see if this is still a renewal or not (the original expired early jan) and sort out how to submit the extra paperwork.

thanks again for everyone's help. hopefully everything at the courthouse goes smoothly.

(Berks County)

just an update --

after sending PSP the receipts for the court costs payment, a copy of the docket showing the amount was paid (along with a guilty plea in 2005) and a groveling letter apologizing and explaining the circumstances, today i received my letter from PSP stating that i am no longer considered prohibited.

now i just need to speak with the sheriff's office to see if this is still a renewal or not (the original expired early jan) and sort out how to submit the extra paperwork.

thanks again for everyone's help. hopefully everything at the courthouse goes smoothly.
    The only difference between a new LTCF and a renewal is a box checked on the form.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast