Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Gun storage temperature

I have a room that is attached to the side of my bank barn that is cinderblock walls with a 6 inch thick poured concrete roof, room is 7x14, I am thinking of putting a vault door on it to make a walk in gun safe. I will run a dehumidifier in there but would I need to run a heater and if so what temperature? I know nra museum says 70 degrees but is that warm really needed? I was thinking as long as it was above freezing and there was no large temperature changes that would cause condensation then the temps would not be critical. Thoughts?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Gun storage temperature

I think theoretically you could have 50 degrees if you can control humidity. But even with a dehumidifier, it the room is not climate controlled, even 5-10 degree changes will likely overpower the dehumidifier and create condensation.

(Carbon County)

my son is a snapon tool dealer and has to keep his truck and excess inventory in his shop with heat to control the humidity at least 50 degrees to stop condensation on everything

the heaters kill the humidity
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Berks County)

I don't know myself but I have heard that humidity too low will cause drying and cracking of wood stocks. It sounds plausible.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Yes I have heard that humidity below 40 percent can cause wood to crack.

I could see a sudden 10 degree change causing condensation but if the change takes place over several hours like it should in a sealed room I don't think it would cause that much. I hear my house with a wood stove so the house temperature fluctuates but i have not seen a condensation issue on the firearms stored inside the house.

The 50 degree temps for the snap on truck seems reasonable, 45 to 50 degrees is kind of the temp I was thinking.

I am kind of unsure about storing them in an area not inside the home, I just like that the block/concrete room outside would be pretty much fireproof and that anyone trying to break into it would be seen/heard by neighbors

(Philadelphia County)

Sounds like a mistake, Please look at a dew point chart and make a decision yourself,
    IF you can control the temp change and have a very slow change, Ugh I think you're asking for an unpleasant day sometime in the future,
    Plus cinderblock is porous and quite fragile. Best to look elsewhere.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Sounds like a mistake, Please look at a dew point chart and make a decision yourself,
    IF you can control the temp change and have a very slow change, Ugh I think you're asking for an unpleasant day sometime in the future,
    Plus cinderblock is porous and quite fragile. Best to look elsewhere.
    Two of the four walls are below grade and the cinderblock is solid filled so not brittle. I have been using this room as a place to butcher/process animals with no humidity or temp control and have not seen and moisture or rust issues on any of the butcher equipment. Are most of you really keeping your house at a steady temperature? We do not have a/c in the house so there are ten plus degree temp changes in the house during the summer when the windows are open and it cools at night.

I would think that even hollow block would be just as secure as a big box store safe unless you go to a tl15 or tl30 safe. I have a tl30 safe (3000+ pounds) that I keep the most valuable guns in but I am limited on how much weight I want to put in my house

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I have a room that is attached to the side of my bank barn that is cinderblock walls with a 6 inch thick poured concrete roof, room is 7x14, I am thinking of putting a vault door on it to make a walk in gun safe. I will run a dehumidifier in there but would I need to run a heater and if so what temperature? I know nra museum says 70 degrees but is that warm really needed? I was thinking as long as it was above freezing and there was no large temperature changes that would cause condensation then the temps would not be critical. Thoughts?
    I store a few guns in my basement, it is partially below grade varies in temp from about 60°F in the Summer to 45°F in the Winter. I keep a dehumidifie down there and keep the humidity between about 60- 65% in the Summer and turn it off in the Winter, the humidity stays around 50% naturally, due to cold air's decreased capacity to retain moisture. I regularly check on the guns' condition and they stay in very good shape.

(Warren County)

You can buy big heavy duty garbage bags in clear.
    Put an O2 absorber and dessicant in with the gun.
    Oil the gun well.
    Suck the air outta the bag with a vacuum cleaner and twist tie it shut.

Yes its a lotta dicking around, but in a very secure room, your guns oughtta be safe.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

I propose a test. Minus the vault door for this test. Close off the room and place some raw steel inside. No dehumidifier, no fan, no heater. Let the steel sit for one week. After one week see what happens. Do this to simulate the absolute worst case situation. No power and so on.

Just FYI you can probably get a remote temperature monitoring station, from your room to your house.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast