Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun storage temperature

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I propose a test. Minus the vault door for this test. Close off the room and place some raw steel inside. No dehumidifier, no fan, no heater. Let the steel sit for one week. After one week see what happens. Do this to simulate the absolute worst case situation. No power and so on.

Just FYI you can probably get a remote temperature monitoring station, from your room to your house.
    Of you do this test, use a flap disk or a wire wheel on a grinder to make sure to take the surface down to bare metal.

All steels are "factory" greased to prevent rust.

(Cumberland County)

Here you go, my room in unheated garage. Cinder blockwalls, core filled with concrete, concrete ceiling, metal z bar with foam insulation, 5/8 mr board. Painted. Electric base board heat set at low 70*s. Also framed up floor with pearlite insulation, 3/4 plywood, vct flooring. No dehumidifier in room. I have no problems with rust or wood issues on stocks. Room has been in use for several decades. Quick moisture test for masonry walls and also good for concrete walls and floors. Tape a piece of plastic bag to surface, tape the whole way around. Check several days later by removing plastic if you see actual moisture or a dark area where plastic was you have moisture coming thru. Yes moisture can come thru concrete. In my opinion don*t go cheap on the heat. If the space is insulated, once you get it to temp. It doesn*t make much difference in the heating cost to maintain whether your set at 50 degrees or 70 degrees.

(York County)

FWIW, most of my guns (and ammo) are stored in a non-climate-controlled building. Does not seem to have any ill-effect upon them.

OTOH, I literally own zero wood-stock guns. Wood would likely change the dynamics significantly.

Only exception is my EDC and my 'bedside' pistol which both 'live' in my bedroom in the house. Both are polymer/not wood and seem to do fine.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    I have a room that is attached to the side of my bank barn that is cinderblock walls with a 6 inch thick poured concrete roof, room is 7x14, I am thinking of putting a vault door on it to make a walk in gun safe.
    I have done this very thing. When I remodeled the room, which is only 7x9 or so, I put in a Cadet wall heater and a programmable thermostat. This keeps the room at 68 or so.

FWIW - I also insulated the walls, ceiling and floor.

(York County)

How did you guys stud out the walls? I could use rockwool (fireproof) for insulation but would like to stay away from wood studs because of fire. Maybe metal studs? I am a contractor so I have basic framing skills but no experience with metal studs. I have enough 14 gauge sheetmetal to sheet the inside instead of wood or drywall.

(Montgomery County)

How did you guys stud out the walls? I could use rockwool (fireproof) for insulation but would like to stay away from wood studs because of fire. Maybe metal studs? I am a contractor so I have basic framing skills but no experience with metal studs. I have enough 14 gauge sheetmetal to sheet the inside instead of wood or drywall.
    It's easy, use self tapping screws.

JMO use 5/8 drywall on lathing strips. Minimal fire load and you will save yourself time and money. You will also save space. 7x14 will soon dwindle away after studs and drywall. Put in a few shelves, counter and cabinets and those inches matter. Using conduit on the walls and the celling makes for easy access. And of course, protect those lights from gun barrels.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-100...100G/206781331

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...2021/202316611
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Cumberland County)

Steel studs are a good way to go. Use wafer head s12 screws to screw them together. Layout of steel is basically the same as wood framing. There are some minor dimensional differences but if you work with wood you can do steel. I*d prefer to use 5/8 board over metal for the sheeting. Rockwool is a viable choice as well, I personally hate working with the stuff but got to admit it works. For you first time steel stud users think about using cut resistant gloves. There are more sharp edges than you can imagine and cuts are the norm. If you want to save a few inches there are thinner studs or even hat track you can use vs a full width stud. Keep in mind thinner means less insulation.

(Washington County)

We keep our gun vault heater set at 60F and dehumidifier set at 50%. It is not air conditioned, but it's in an underground basement so it rarely get's warmer then 70F even on the hottest days.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

Thanks everyone. I put a temp and humidity gauge in there 48 hours ago. High temp was 39 and low was 37, humidity stayed at 70 percent so I will need to run a dehumidifier for sure. There is a floor drain so I can just let the dehumidifier drain into that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast