Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Drawbacks of Pistol to SBR conversion question

Friends, Romans, Countrymen... lend me your ears! 'Cause I have a question, please.

I have a 10.5" AR pistol for HD that I have been debating making into an SBR. My reasons for wanting to do so are:
    1) I'd like to put a stock on the gun, or at least shoulder the brace without issue
    2) I'd like to install a vertical grip on the forend
    3) I'd like to not be worried about all the ATF scorecard BS, if I take my gun to the range or a class or (God forbid) use it for it's intended purpose

So my questions are:
    - What are the drawbacks of completing such a conversion (other than the $200 tax)?
    - Has anyone regretted making the switch?

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Drawbacks of Pistol to SBR conversion question

Can*t carry it loaded in vehicle!

Have to request permission to carry it across state lines

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Can*t carry it loaded in vehicle!
    Sure you can, with an LTCF, if it meets the default UFA "firearm" definition, which it should.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by John7367 View Post
    Friends, Romans, Countrymen... lend me your ears! 'Cause I have a question, please.

I have a 10.5" AR pistol for HD that I have been debating making into an SBR. My reasons for wanting to do so are:
    1) I'd like to put a stock on the gun, or at least shoulder the brace without issue
    2) I'd like to install a vertical grip on the forend
    3) I'd like to not be worried about all the ATF scorecard BS, if I take my gun to the range or a class or (God forbid) use it for it's intended purpose

So my questions are:
    - What are the drawbacks of completing such a conversion (other than the $200 tax)?
    - Has anyone regretted making the switch?

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.
    Answering your questions in order:
    1) with the right brace, they're almost as good as a standard stock (except they don't telescope) - if you need it to telescope, then i get it.
    2) why can't you do that now?
    3) no one is going to give 2 shits what config it is, its only if you get caught doing something with it or use it in a legal situation. If you already took the plunge and registered with the ATF for other NFA items, then it's not really that much to do this. If you're resisting starting into that world, I understand your hesitation - but also suggest it doesn't really make any difference since we're all probably on some other federal list/database anyhow.
    -Brandon

(Wyoming County)

Disregard the post telling you that you can't carry it in a vehicle, because that is wrong. (refer to Gunlawyer's response)

As already mentioned, an SBR will require ATF approval to transport out of state.

Also, in my opinion, an SBR kills the resale value, basically making it yours for life.

How I might deploy a pistol braced firearm in a home defense situation is of no concern to me, but to each their own, YMMV. (I have both pistol braced firearms and SBR's)
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    1) with the right brace, they're almost as good as a standard stock (except they don't telescope) - if you need it to telescope, then i get it.
    3) no one is going to give 2 shits what config it is, its only if you get caught doing something with it or use it in a legal situation. If you already took the plunge and registered with the ATF for other NFA items, then it's not really that much to do this. If you're resisting starting into that world, I understand your hesitation - but also suggest it doesn't really make any difference since we're all probably on some other federal list/database anyhow.

Whach'u talking 'bout, Willis? There are at least 4 pistol braces that telescope.

The BEST one is the Tailhook Mod 2
    (I thought the SBA3 was the best, until I tried the Tailhook)

Also, he can't put a forward grip on a pistol unless the overall length meets a magic number. (I forget if it's 26", or not)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Disregard the post telling you that you can't carry it in a vehicle, because that is wrong. (refer to Gunlawyer's response)

As already mentioned, an SBR will require ATF approval to transport out of state.

Also, in my opinion, an SBR kills the resale value, basically making it yours for life.

How I might deploy a pistol braced firearm in a home defense situation is of no concern to me, but to each their own, YMMV. (I have both pistol braced firearms and SBR's)
    This post covers everything you need to know.

If you're not sure about the "resale value" portion of his post, you need to engrave your SBR with your name and city/state. Adds another $40-100 to the cost of SBRing, and kills resale value because no one wants a gun with your name on it.

Also consider that if you go the individual route on your Form 1, you are not allowed to have others in your household to use it without your presence.

I personally prefer going the SBR route. It's a clear legal definition, and it gives you flexibility with how you want to configure your rifle. But I can see why people prefer the pistol route.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Sure you can, with an LTCF, if it meets the default UFA "firearm" definition, which it should.
    I stand corrected! Thank you.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    The sb tactical sba3 is a 6 position adjustable brace....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast