Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Rifle Drawer for Truck Bed

Here goes nothing:

I recently had to replace my pick-up. The replacement (2012 Colorado) has a one-piece locking lid, so I am finally considering some in-bed storage and organization. Mostly I’m thinking about plywood dividers and possibly pull-outs for the more common uses, but also considering a rifle drawer that would run front to back. It would not be for long term storage, just for trips to the range and the like.

A steel drawer around 12-14” square and deep/long enough (about 42”) for a few soft-cased ARs could easily be incorporated in my current scheme. It could be front load, opening like a drawer, or top opening, preferably hinged at the back so I can lock it at the front and access it via the tailgate area.

I don’t have the tools to fabricate/weld a metal version of what I want. I could do it in wood, but I‘d much prefer the security of metal. I thought about Snap-On, but they don’t seem to have anything in the layout I want. An old file cabinet might be close, but nowhere near deep enough, though it could provide most of the raw materials for a starting point.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have another direction I might try to go? All ideas welcome.

Default Re: Rifle Drawer for Truck Bed

I like this idea.

(Wayne County)

Seen it done with PVC pipe. Cut to length, glue on a threaded female adapter and have a screw in male cap. Drill the 1" (or so) nipple on the male plug, and drill the pipe to thread a cable style lock. Not fool proof, but would take a bit of time for someone to mess with your stuff.

Like you said, not for long term storage.
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I like this idea.

Pretty cool, but I'm not sure of the legality. I thought taillights couldn't be on a moveable part.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I like this idea.

So do I, but it's only for a couple limited models.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Pretty cool, but I'm not sure of the legality. I thought taillights couldn't be on a moveable part.
    Looks like it's a foreign market. But a crafty fab man could probably do something similar here, and nobody would ever know. There is nothing in the PA inspection guide that says "check to see that tail lights are on non-movable surfaces". And there sure as hell is no such thing as the FMVSS police. I've never even heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for removing a catalytic converter, let alone monkeying with taillights.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    '55 Bel Air:

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Looks like it's a foreign market. But a crafty fab man could probably do something similar here, and nobody would ever know. There is nothing in the PA inspection guide that says "check to see that tail lights are on non-movable surfaces". And there sure as hell is no such thing as the FMVSS police. I've never even heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for removing a catalytic converter, let alone monkeying with taillights.
    Makes sense it's a foreign market truck. I doubt if someone home crafted the thing, anyone would know or care about it. Was just surprised a company would offer it.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    '55 Bel Air:
    Yeah, it's a dumb rule and I'm not sure when that was implemented. I remember some foreign sports cars couldn't be imported because of that rule before though.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Here goes nothing:

I recently had to replace my pick-up. The replacement (2012 Colorado) has a one-piece locking lid, so I am finally considering some in-bed storage and organization. Mostly I*m thinking about plywood dividers and possibly pull-outs for the more common uses, but also considering a rifle drawer that would run front to back. It would not be for long term storage, just for trips to the range and the like.

A steel drawer around 12-14* square and deep/long enough (about 42*) for a few soft-cased ARs could easily be incorporated in my current scheme. It could be front load, opening like a drawer, or top opening, preferably hinged at the back so I can lock it at the front and access it via the tailgate area.

I don*t have the tools to fabricate/weld a metal version of what I want. I could do it in wood, but I*d much prefer the security of metal. I thought about Snap-On, but they don*t seem to have anything in the layout I want. An old file cabinet might be close, but nowhere near deep enough, though it could provide most of the raw materials for a starting point.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or have another direction I might try to go? All ideas welcome.
    This is what you want.

https://decked.com/pages/tactical?ut...SAAEgI_NfD_BwE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast