Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Is this a real firearm or a replica?

I’ve had this for a number of years. The barrel looks to be plugged about 1” up from where the percussion cap hole would be. The trigger is a 2 stage hammer and it functions. The screws on the stock are pinned. The percussion cap nipples appears to have soldered/sealed with something. The metal is pitted/shows rust and has tons of ware. For all Intensive purposes it appears to a real firearm but I’m just not sure

Thoughts?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Is this a real firearm or a replica?

(York County)

I have seen percusion era blunderbuss type guns before, but that one is unique. Looks authentic. I can read the 1850 date engraved on the barrel on one of the images.

The nipple is worn away like many originals would be by neglect. Wear on the wood near the hammer says it has been fired. Little stuff hints at real age overall and not just an aged look applied artificially.

Styling is mediterranean but I won't venture to say more. If you can I'd take it to a place like Dixons gun shop which specializes in black powder firearms to get their opinion. Another good place is the MACA show in March at Timonium, Md. You'd find collectors and dealers there who may have more experience with the region and type of arm.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    I have seen percusion era blunderbuss type guns before, but that one is unique. Looks authentic. I can read the 1850 date engraved on the barrel on one of the images.

The nipple is worn away like many originals would be by neglect. Wear on the wood near the hammer says it has been fired. Little stuff hints at real age overall and not just an aged look applied artificially.

Styling is mediterranean but I won't venture to say more. If you can I'd take it to a place like Dixons gun shop which specializes in black powder firearms to get their opinion. Another good place is the MACA show in March at Timonium, Md. You'd find collectors and dealers there who may have more experience with the region and type of arm.
    Good eye! There’s definitely some type of residue/burn mark on the right side of the stock near the hammer. The crack there also could be from firing.

Last edited by bravo30; December 11th, 2021 at 03:35 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Here’s a few more of inside the barrel. There appears to be “steps” or “ridges” in the barrel.

Last edited by bravo30; December 11th, 2021 at 04:09 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

The barrel Looks to be 2 pieces. The “lip” seen here in the picture is underneath the barrel band. It measures up perfectly. If I removed the barrel band I would see a seam there. Was this normal? Doesn’t seem very sturdy but I don’t know enough about barrel construction back then and what was required in a black powder firearm

Last edited by bravo30; December 11th, 2021 at 04:08 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Thinking maybe Spanish origin? Looks like the word “Eibar” the same Eibar in Spain where firearms where produced?

(Bucks County)

The tribal area of Pakistan/Afghanistan produces a lot of fake antique guns. So much, that they present a problem to the antique market. I'm leaning toward a fake.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Antiques roadshow trip?

(York County)

Eibar is certainly a gunmaking center in Spain and has been for centuries. It is possible this was made from an old musket salvaged with other parts added. The ridges inside the bell muzzle would be the result of swaging the hot metal on a mandrel as part of construction. I wouldn't call it the best way to make that kind of thing, but with black powder pressures it would work. (at least when new...or for a while anyway)

Bang is correct in assessing the the Pakistan border areas are notorious for their fake antiques. During our occupation of Afghanistan they became sophisticated enough to know that US law would allow pre 1898 guns could be sold directly to US soldiers at the market while other nations troups could only bring back what were clearly muzzleloading antiques and made guns accordingly for sale that way. However the way they marked them (being completely unfamiliar with the Roman alphabet) tends to trip them up. The fakes tend to have mistakes in spelling, letter style and stuff like that. This blunderbuss doesn't seem to have those.

The way the interior of the barrel is constructed does concern me. This is why a real expert and not us armchair collectors is probably best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast