Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: how did you all do ?

The backyard deer preserve dried up aside from a couple 5 points and a really small 8 I passed on in archery.

4 days in Tionesta. I took the Rem 700 in 7mm mag I was gifted and my S&W 66-2 in .357 mag.
    I only saw a few deer and could have shot a 4 point at 15 yards with the revolver but nothing shootable for us.
    Buddy got busted by a shooter while he was fucking with his phone.

Later that week without any deer, we moved to hunt in Avella. A couple doe with no shots one day and we met out there on Sat.

I took my Tikka T3x (my elk gun) since she was a virgin hoping she would get some foreplay.
    2021-12-06_06-35-58 by poofy27, on Flickr

I was snuggled in behind a big log when a couple doe who had evidently stalked me came up unexpectedly on my left. we made eye contact at 10 yards and as slowly as I thought I was moving my pistol into a firing position, they spooked and laughed all the way to the crest of the hill. Could have shot but didn't want to send a round all the way back to my place.

Ok. I moved about 75 yards and was leaning against a tree when I saw another doe running about 90 to 100 yards out.
    Wide open woods, I found her in the scope which I had on 3 X.
    I saw it was a doe and she stopped at about 90 +. I could no longer see her head, front or rear legs which were behind trees.
    She did leave me the sweet spot behind her shoulder though. I put the reticle on that spot and pressed off a round.

She went down like a train hit her and slid about 20 yards down the hill.

2021-12-06_06-36-45 by poofy27, on Flickr

The Tikka got bloody. Cool beans.

Now, One of our members turned me on to a bullet I never heard of and sent me some to try.

Hammer Hunter bullets in 166gr. I had shot all but 10 trying powders and such and wanted to take the Tikka so I found a target in my log.

This looked good enough for me so I loaded the last 10 rounds to this recipe.
    2021-10-22_04-04-53 by poofy27, on Flickr

Check this exit wound.

2021-12-06_06-36-34 by poofy27, on Flickr

Now, I had an elk tag for Wyoming where QB shot his bull but the new knee wasn't up to where I could walk that terrain.

I knew my drag was only 4 to 500 yards. 2 buddys said they would come help but I wanted to see how I'd do.
    Down this hill was the closest to a straight line I had and cut 400 yards off the drag by going down. It's steeper than it looks.
    2021-12-06_06-37-11 by poofy27, on Flickr

I fell 8 or 9 times. Glad no one was recording that. Crashed the new knee, crashed the old knee, fell flat on my back, slid down about 15 yards.
    That had to be hilarious.

Anyway, It took me an hour getting her back to the truck.
    That 100 pounder weighed well over 400 by the time i got her onto the deer carrier.

All in all, a great day to be in the woods.
    I took her to a processor and drove back to hunt some more for a buck but mostly in case my other buddy got a deer. He's in worse shape than I am.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I hardly ever lie.

Tomorrow AM , back in the treestand behind the house. Maybe they'll think I'm back in Avella. Sneaky bastards.

Processor just now called, deer is ready. I can taste tenderloin as I type. Gotta go.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Wayne County)

3/4 inch at 200 not bad 27, you*re good to 500 without breaking a sweat. Don*t you just love a good blood trail? I*m looking at another bull elk or mule deer/ pronghorn combo for 2022 in Wyoming. Gonna work on a load for my 264 win mag with 124 grain hammer hunters or 7mm mag with 137s. Gonna keep pushing before I need new knees or have a heart attack. No quitting.

(Washington County)

Got a doe with my revolver again. Maybe 7 yards. Went about 3 and flopped. We have a doe that we think got hit by a car, front shoulder is clearly hanging down. she actually been around for a few years. I was hoping to see her, but we haven't seen her in a long time and thought she was gone. Wouldn't you know it the very next day she was at the far end of my field. I hope someone got her.
    "The best investment on earth is earth."

Thanks for the updates so far eevrybody, some good stories and pics.

We got a doe in the early muzzloader/ senior season .

Was out last Wed and passed on 5 doe and went for the shot at a nice 6 pointer .

Somehow I missed maybe hit a branch , no blood and no deer as he scooted off .

Friday was very windy and did not see any .

Hope to get out tomorrow or Thursday , doe will back on the menu if that buck does not show up the the party lol !

Good luck to everybody still out in the woods

(Allegheny County)

I got a bit chilly this morning on my backyard treestand. Got up there at 6:45

Only lasted till 10 and had to come in and get a heat on. I think if I installed a toilet up there, that would let me stay longer too.

When the cars stop on the road below me (100 yds), it usually means they stop for deer or turkeys crossing.
    They stopped and I saw 2 deer crossing but going away from me.

It was a cool morning though. I saw a gray herron land in the creek. It lifteed one leg and perched there for about 15 min before a car scared him down stream.
    The sparrow hawk has been hanging around quite a bit too.
    This morning, the turkeys that roost just out of sight flew across the valley at daybreak.

Great morning to be 20 feet up in a tree.

I was going to take my 7mm for a walk in Avella in the afternoon but it was getting near 2pm so I decided to get back up in the tree.
    The cars stopped to let the turkeys walk across the road again.

At 4, I saw 2 deer coming down a hill angling toward me. Cool. binocs saw 3 up on the only legal buck I've been seeing back there.
    A doe was following him.

He stopped at 30 yds mostly broadside with a bit of quartering to me.
    I lined up the 30 yd reticle just behind the shoulder and let the bolt go.

A good hit. He seemed to go down on his chest and kicked his way all the way down the hill to the creek.

2021-12-07_07-29-05 by poofy27, on Flickr

Ten Point Wicked Ridge Stealth FX4 did its job.

I watched him for about 15 min to make sure he was down down and gathered all my stuff, climbed down the ladder and took all my crap to my garage.

I took everything I needed, put it in my truck and drove the couple miles to get down there. parking just across the creek from him.

Tagged him, gutted him and drug him across the creek
    The embankment was about 5 feet high on the truck side. I loaded my hitch crane but I had never modified it to attach to the deer carrier.

My buddy Bill, who is selling ammo in the classifieds offered to come help just like he did last year in the same spot.

We drug him up, deer carrier, processor. Done.

exit wound.

2021-12-07_07-29-52 by poofy27, on Flickr

That should just about do me as I can eat 2 deer a year. I have another 2B tag and may ask around if someone is interested in some venison if I would be so lucky to try and actually score again. I know Bill Likes it so if he doesn't score by Sat, I may go out after Christmas and try to shoot a doe to give him the meat. That'll be shotgun or .44 mag pistol ( maybe the tree and crossbow).
    I love this time of year,

This was a great season locally but I'm a bit pissed about not getting out to Wyoming to try filling my cow elk tag.

Maybe next year I'll try for a bull. QB can't be having all the fun out there.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I haven't seen anything that I care to shoot. Kid has a deer in the freezer. I may take the pistol for a walk on Saturday and then there is flintlock.

Seen 5 doe and a spike tonight.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

Hunting Gameland on Opening day, I was ready to pack up and leave at 4:40 PM. Doe sneaked up from behind me and walked in front. I was sitting high on a rock.
    Shot @ 15-20 yards. Shoulder hit, crashed @ 20 yards and died quickly.

Fingers crossed for a buck.

(Lancaster County)

I saw a whole bunch today!

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I saw a whole bunch today!

Damn deer figured out how to put up fences to keep hunters away!!
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast