Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: how did you all do ?

Yesterday I walked up on a spike. Stood there looking at me about 40 yards away. Jumped another deer, couldn't tell what. I found a spot where three trails came out of some thick pines. Shot a doe coming up one of the trails around 4. I shot and it took off running. I thought I heard it crash. I looked around for blood and couldn't find any. I walked in the direction it ran. About 40 yards away the deer jumped up, snorted and ran up the hill. It stopped at the top. I could only see it's head and neck. Next shot caught it about six inches below it's head and it went down. Turns out the first shot hit just in front of the shoulder. If I would have waited 10-15 minutes it would have died. If it wasn't getting dark I would have waited. It was only a doe but that was pretty awesome. The majority of deer I've shot have been out of a stand. Creeping around the woods actually hunting them was way more exciting even though it was just a doe. That was one of my favorite hunts so far.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Berks County)

i have had no luck seeing anything. i did bump deer to other people though. hoping this weekend actually results in at least seeing a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Yesterday I walked up on a spike. Stood there looking at me about 40 yards away. Jumped another deer, couldn't tell what. I found a spot where three trails came out of some thick pines. Shot a doe coming up one of the trails around 4. I shot and it took off running. I thought I heard it crash. I looked around for blood and couldn't find any. I walked in the direction it ran. About 40 yards away the deer jumped up, snorted and ran up the hill. It stopped at the top. I could only see it's head and neck. Next shot caught it about six inches below it's head and it went down. Turns out the first shot hit just in front of the shoulder. If I would have waited 10-15 minutes it would have died. If it wasn't getting dark I would have waited. It was only a doe but that was pretty awesome. The majority of deer I've shot have been out of a stand. Creeping around the woods actually hunting them was way more exciting even though it was just a doe. That was one of my favorite hunts so far.

Sounds like you a good time , congrats

Tonight my dad got a doe. Seen a spike, another doe and a rack buck. He couldn't tell if it was legal. I seen some squirrels. I was really happy my dad got a deer. He hasn't been able to get out much the last few years. He's had both his knees replaced and can't get around as good as he used to. I think he'll still be killing deer in a wheelchair if he has to. If he does I'll be more than happy to drag them out for him. It's been an awesome week. Never know how many hunts you have left with your old man. Enjoy them while you can.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Personally have not seen one deer,Hypothermia keeps setting in .Yesterday was worse feeling uncontrollable shaking and then my buddy shoots .I rushed over to help him with deer and No Blood ? He says it fell down got up and ran .I think his older eyes are needing glasses .Maybe one more time trying for a deer in a couple of days .Hunters be aware of hypothermia it sets in whil not moving around then getting up and getting the shakes .Also monitor your meds before going out ! Oh yeah I saw a Pileated Woodpecker a large variety !

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    Getting your nuts cut off and head mounted on a wall wouldn't leave me smiling either
    Something tells me you are not married. ;-)
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Personally have not seen one deer,Hypothermia keeps setting in .Yesterday was worse feeling uncontrollable shaking and then my buddy shoots .I rushed over to help him with deer and No Blood ? He says it fell down got up and ran .I think his older eyes are needing glasses .Maybe one more time trying for a deer in a couple of days .Hunters be aware of hypothermia it sets in whil not moving around then getting up and getting the shakes .Also monitor your meds before going out ! Oh yeah I saw a Pileated Woodpecker a large variety !
    Now I don't feel so bad...tree stand is right behind the cabin, I use the chimney to determine the wind direction, LOL.

When the chill creeps in I know it is time to spend a few minutes building up the fire before coming back out.

Been working hard on loosing some of 'me' [around 40 pounds] so I've lost a bunch of insulation.

(Wayne County)

Sat out for about 2 hours from 3 to 5 and didn*t see a thing. Gonna be windy again tomorrow and will sit in a nice warm house.

3 rd time out not as cold in the 40s,saw nothing not even heard one shot going off.Too windy friday I will go out next week and take Qtrboresecrazy advice and stay inside where its warm !

(Elk County)

Last evening coming home from work about dusk an idiot in a new GMC Yukon XL (suburban) passed me at high speed on a double yellow with oncoming traffic. Around the next corner a deer (could not tell if antlered or not) ran across the highway in front of the Yukon XL and there was a cloud of dust/fur/coolant vapor/whatever fly up in front of the Yukon XL, which immediately pulled off the road. I could see in my rearview mirror the front of the truck was pretty mangled.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast