Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: I emailed author of article about the 2nd Amendment being racist

Nice post. There's a few that are willing to listen.

(York County)

A few things to do when responding to people who you think worth the effort:
    1. Tone. Remain polite and respectful. (we all know how worked up the issue tends to get people)
    2. Stick to facts and be willing to link to places to get the facts. You don't have to go to extremes like cut and paste but a name (like Colin Noir) or researchable tidbits (use keywords like FBI crime statistical report).
    3. Don't be afraid to disagree, just don't blast with opinions. Nobody likes a rant.
    4. Try to remain on the subject. Yes, we know the Democratic Party has made gun control a platform issue. So attack why it is wrong about specific points of the gun control issue, not the whole party and everyone on it.
    5. As above: Stick to specific points you wish to make. You can't expect a sea change overnight in a person's point of view but slowly work that person into a frame of mind to question the talking points they have been indoctrinated with.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's not even been about blacks, or race. Gun rights infringements have been about national origin or economic class; rich New Yorkers and NJ mafioso can get licenses to carry guns.

Plenty of NY and New England gun control has been about Italians and the Irish. The 1911 Sullivan act was pretty explicitly aimed at the waves of WOP's coming in (like some of my ancestors), and the spirit of the "NO IRISH NEED APPLY" signs is embodied in the disarmament of the lower classes of Massachusetts.

Lots of laws of all kinds are aimed at keeping the riffraff in their place, including vaccine mandates and unleashing the FBI on PTA moms. The only thing that changes is the demographics of the downtrodden and the powerful. A century ago, a useless git like AOC would have been a whore or a maid or a dressmaker, something useful. Now she's just sand in the machinery, but she and her masters set the agenda.
    I agree. In places that restrict firearm rights unduly (i.e. blue states) it's about hierarchy/class rather than race, and those at the edges are the ones who benefit. The rich/famous/powerful can carry guns and/or hire those who can. The criminal class can carry guns, confident that's the first charge that will be plead away if they get caught. It's the average jane and joe who get infringed, because the powers-that-be understand that's where guns are a threat to them. They know the criminal class will have guns regardless, and they're not terribly concerned about that. They know THEY are not giving up their guns. It's the vast bulk of society, not the fringes, who need to be disarmed for their agenda.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    The other day, I read an article titled "Opinion: Who gets to carry guns in America? And who doesn't?"...
    Yeah, "From my cold dead hands" and "Because 2A MF'er" aren't always the best approach/response. Glad you got a positive reaction.

OTOH, I always fear such things are a throwaway: that the person in question is just avoiding conflict and will merrily continue down the path of ignorance.

But you gotta do the right thing regardless. Kudos on that.

For my part, I'll gladly teach anyone of any color, political belief, etc. about gun safety, shooting, etc. My club has a great guest policy (guest pass is $1 per day, and that really only for insurance compliance), and I'll take pretty much ANYONE to the club with me if they're interested.

IME an educated shooter near-always becomes a 2A supporter in the end.
    DGAF

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Yeah, "From my cold dead hands" and "Because 2A MF'er" aren't always the best approach/response. Glad you got a positive reaction.

OTOH, I always fear such things are a throwaway: that the person in question is just avoiding conflict and will merrily continue down the path of ignorance.

For my part, I'll gladly teach anyone of any color, political belief, etc. about gun safety, shooting, etc. My club has a great guest policy (guest pass is $1 per day, and that really only for insurance compliance), and I'll take pretty much ANYONE to the club with me if they're interested.

And the uneducated ones want to take your whilst they illegally keep theirs.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post

My club has guest passes, but they're $6. But the club does supply targets. I have taken a few people and taught them to shoot.

Looking to take an instructor course next time they offer it so I can be even better at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tallbump View Post
    My club has guest passes, but they're $6. But the club does supply targets. I have taken a few people and taught them to shoot.

Looking to take an instructor course next time they offer it so I can be even better at it.
    If/when you do, can you do an AAR to detail if you think it was worth it? And also what kind of class it was?
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Berks County)

The class should start with footage of Alec Balwin and Binger and discussion on what is wrong in those videos. That should pretty much cover the first session.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    If/when you do, can you do an AAR to detail if you think it was worth it? And also what kind of class it was?
    Will do

They used to do the NRA pistol course. They switched from that to something else, but I forget what it is. I know that we're associated with the Plus one, or whatever they call it, that's geared towards getting new people into shooting sports

Does this person know the it was the NRA who was working to make sure the newly freed slaves in the south had their gun rights respected? Probably not.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast