Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
Gotcha, that was the bill. Once the law is past you can read it here:https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/L.../HTM/18/18.HTM

If you scan it, you can find the updated definition in 2011 was for 6102 (title 61 chapter 2). Be aware that going off a Bill like that from 10 years ago isn't a great idea, because other legislation could have passed that reammended what is said in the law. It's always best to go to the actual crimes code, since it'll be the most updated info.

Here's what the definition of loaded says in 6102 now:

See the bold part is what I'm looking at. By the sound of your lock box setup, the mags would have to be in the "same compartment" even if they were cased up separately. I'm not a lawyer, but in my mind that's what I'm thinking. Decent job trying to research it by the way, just a few pointers for the future.

You are correct. One reason to look at original legislation is seeing what was taken out or crossed out in order to get a better understanding of thinking or reasoning behind the new language. What I’m also looking at which seemed like everyone overlooks is the sentence,

If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment

Hence it would seem to me that if you have the rifle by itself in the lock box and you have your magazines in a zipped pouch or magazine pouches or holster that covers the magazine then you should be able to have the two together and be considered separate compartments. However I don’t find anyone really paying attention to that sentence and they all focus on the sentence before.