Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Some thoughts about the Henry H003T (.22 pump) and a trick with the semi buckhorn

Upon locating and purchasing a gently used Henry .22 pump rifle, I bought and installed a front sight having a .060" orange fiber optic rod (.450", duping stock sight height).

Removing the rear sight reveals two 8-40 tapped holes. The pump .22 with the octagon barrel uses the same barrel as the Golden Boy.
    The tapped holes are for fastening a cantilever picatinny rail on the Golden Boy. The .22 pump doesn't need the cantilever base...the receiver is machined providing a dovetail for mounting scope rings having 3/8" bases.

I bought low height 3/8" bases believing the 38mm front end of the Tasco 3-9 scope I planned on installing would clear the semi buckhorn rear sight. Nope, Sight has to come off. Damn. I wanted that buckhorn to remain an option. IDEA! Install the buckhorn 180 degrees around. That keeps the sight on the rifle, instead of storing it somehow.

The buckhorn has a reversible blade secured by a small screw. The blade can be flipped. The dovetail of the sight has a set screw, allowing for easy lateral removal/drifting/adjusting of it.

Now the rifle still has the open semi buckhorn installed and is usable. It's just backwards, and the distance between sights is reduced from approximately 17 inches to 12 inches. Still an option....remove scope and mounts, remove buckhorn and re-install in the normal factory configuration...in the field, on the bench, or at home.

Edited to add.... noticed many Henry centerfires have a folding semi buckhorn with adjustable insert. The Lyman 16B looks like it and is in the range needed. One is on order. That will get back a couple of inches of sight radius.

More about Burris 4.5-14x44 scope I bought for this rifle The power selector ring is very difficult to turn. Don't recall it being so when first acquired. I put grip tape on it. The objective bell measures 56 mm, while the glass is 44mm. It makes the front end of the scope larger than the specs would seem to indicate. Had I known, I probably would not have bought this Burris for this rifle.
    Last edited by Bang; January 19th, 2022 at 12:03 AM. Reason: additional info
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.