Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: OAKS 3 Day Show DEC 17, 18, 19, 2021

Haggling is pretty much expected at gun shows, and I do it all the time. I always assume that dealers have their used guns priced so they can make money. If a gun is priced at considerably more than I think it's worth, I hit the dealer with a low ball offer. Once in a while that works. If the dealer gives me an attitude blast, I walk away. I usually end up paying about 10 percent under asking price on used guns.

(Blair County)

just tell them you only give volume discounts so pick out two or more other guns .

(York County)

I price my stuff at a specific margin that I need to stay in business. many times im well below other dealers and gunbroker. the biggest problem I have is when a customer picks up a gun that is a hundred or more dollars below retail and then offers $100 or $200 less than my price tag. I get that it never hurts to ask but when you know its a deal, dont bother trying to get more off. the only guys who piss me off are the turds who pick up a nice gun, make an offer several hundred under the price tag, and when I say no they continue to ask 3 more times. the second time they ask I again politely decline. the third time they ask I say no forcefully. the 4rth time they ask I raise the price by $100. if they ask again, I tell them its not for sale. at the end of the day no matter what I do, someone is going to bitch about it. I find it odd from the guys who are doing their used guns to shows asking above retail for them, also complaining about how high the prices are.

one thing I have learned over the years is to not be a cheap ass. if you want a new made gun at half price, buy it used and wait awhile to find it. but if you want something uncommon or hard to find just pony up the cash and get it. after a 20 year chase of trying to get a baby Nambu, I finally caved and paid top dollar. sure, I paid a ton of money for it, but I couldnt find one "cheap" for 20 years. now I can stop wasting time and enjoy it!

(Bucks County)

Setting aside what it cost 20 years ago vs what you paid is called biting the bullet.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    I price my stuff at a specific margin that I need to stay in business. many times im well below other dealers and gunbroker. the biggest problem I have is when a customer picks up a gun that is a hundred or more dollars below retail and then offers $100 or $200 less than my price tag. I get that it never hurts to ask but when you know its a deal, dont bother trying to get more off. the only guys who piss me off are the turds who pick up a nice gun, make an offer several hundred under the price tag, and when I say no they continue to ask 3 more times. the second time they ask I again politely decline. the third time they ask I say no forcefully. the 4rth time they ask I raise the price by $100. if they ask again, I tell them its not for sale. at the end of the day no matter what I do, someone is going to bitch about it. I find it odd from the guys who are doing their used guns to shows asking above retail for them, also complaining about how high the prices are.

one thing I have learned over the years is to not be a cheap ass. if you want a new made gun at half price, buy it used and wait awhile to find it. but if you want something uncommon or hard to find just pony up the cash and get it. after a 20 year chase of trying to get a baby Nambu, I finally caved and paid top dollar. sure, I paid a ton of money for it, but I couldnt find one "cheap" for 20 years. now I can stop wasting time and enjoy it!
    Asking more than once is just absolutely rude.

(Bucks County)

Rude? How about the years of phone calls regarding the extended warranty on our car which we don't even have, by robo-call. Now, there's RUDE! Telemarketing might be the reason people have lost sight of politeness.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Rude? How about the years of phone calls regarding the extended warranty on our car which we don't even have, by robo-call. Now, there's RUDE! Telemarketing might be the reason people have lost sight of politeness.
    You need to get the last laugh like I do. Press 0 to speak to someone and let em have it. Get creative. It's quite fun, albeit vindictive and unnecessary.

(Bucks County)

Oh, I do have fun with the live ones. Like tell them, "there must be a storm between me and your island. Too much static". Click.

(Philadelphia County)

I get those pretty often, as well as calls inquiring if I want to sell my house.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Elk County)

I blame Pawn Stars. I noticed that a year or two after that show debuted, people in general became more aggressive at wanting to negotiate any price. Prior to that, in these parts it was uncommon to see/hear a gun shop customer negotiate pricing. Maybe elsewhere, but not here. Suddenly, everyone's last name was Harrison.

Some years ago I watched an exchange between the manager at Grice's and an arrogant customer who kept hounding for a lower price. "Pricing is not negotiable," the manager repeated. After one time too many, the manager took the rifle off the counter and told the guy to leave.

Another FFL I know usually says, "Go to Sheetz or Walmart and ask for better pricing and let me know how that goes for you."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast